Best Irish Souviner

Search

Best Irish Souviner

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Irish Souviner

What is a must have souvinier to bring back from Ireland?

Please don't suggest Whisky or Crystal. I would like to know other things you either bought our wish you would have when you had the chance. I am leaving Saturday, and would like some suggestions of what to watch for when I am there.

Thanks

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Josie I live here and thouse would be the top 2 items to purchase. Id you like Jewellery look at Newbridge silver they also make beaytiful frames, napin holders and small silver gift items as well as watches. Linen woven scarves, Pottery and wool Aran Sweaters are on the list too. You will know what you like when you see it in the shops, at least thats what I find on my travels.

Enjoy

S
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Are these items to be gifts, or for yourself? If you are near Quill's Woolen Mills in Kenmare or Glengariff, you can look at some lovely linens. We bought a nice wrought iron clock for ourselves there last fall. My son asked for an Irish cap, while our other son loves everything with the Guinness logo. In Dingle we got some beautiful wool scarves from one of the little shops, and my husband got me a gorgeous scarf from Lisbeth Mulcahey's shop there. I like to collect small pieces of Irish pottery, and like Judy Green, whose shop is in Galway. Of course, we always seem to bring home whiskey and crystal, too.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Our top two for ourselves:

1) a wonderful Donegal wool tweed cap that my husband bought for himself, and indeed it looks grand on him;
and 2) lovely Belleek china from their main Visitors Center in Belleek, where we watched the pieces being handmade. The gift shop is wonderful!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Wool blankets are great whether for yourself or for gifts. The mohair throws from Avoca are great for curling up on the couch.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:57 AM

I forgot to add calendars. If I can find them, I try to get the calendar with watercolors by Roisin O'Shea. I also look for cards that I can then send to people throughout the year.

My husband has a collection of the Irish "grandfather" shirts. He'll be wearing them soon as the cooler weather will be coming to upstate NY shortly.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:33 AM

some of our favorites...
*CD's of local musicians
*peat for the fireplace
*I always get a Christmas ornament
from our travels
*coasters and placemats (boards) with Irish scenes
*a bodhran
*a sweater or scarf
*pictures and postcards
*keep some extra coins...great for kids
** keep a journal...it is one of the best ways to really remember all of those special details ...I wish I would have collected emails from all of the wonderful people we met

slainte!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Hi,

At the Blarney Woollen Mills in Blarney, I bought myself a Belleek Christmas tree ornament - we don't have any ornaments that are the same and most come from my travels. I also bought a classic Irish wool sweater that feels like a hug from Ireland each time I wear it during the winter.

Amazingly enough, touristy though it may be, the Blarney Woollen Mills was an excellent place to shop. It had a good selection and good prices - the people were lovely.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Hi josie23,

Our favorite souvenirs from Ireland are the several pieces of Connamara Marble pieces. Some are polished and others are in their natural state with a gull or a sheep on them.

Also we get a lot of comments about our Irish shillelagh and my tweed cap which was signed by the weaver.

Enjoy, Jj
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 01:55 PM

My favorite souvenirs from Ireland are the pint glasses from the Guinness brewery. Brings back fond memories and a sly smile whenever I put one to my lips.

Bob
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Aran sweater - purchased on the island by a woman who knitted it

woolen scarves and soaps for gifts
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:31 PM

I second the votes for linen, Aran Wool, and local music. My favorite souveniers were the flowers I pressed in my journal from all of the places I visited (exept where restricted of course) and the lavendar soaps and sachets. Also love Inis cologne. Oh I miss Ireland!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:12 PM

I always buy extra boxes of Irish Tea
and also digestive biscuits-esp. the ones with chocolate! (you have to be careful not to crush the digestives).
They make a nice little gift for those who are not knick knack collectors.
Shadow
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:23 AM

In February last year (2004) we stopped at the ITB shop in Lahinch. EVERYTHING was 30% off! We bought Irish fishermens' sweaters for daughter & son-in-law and for son at home and ourselves. They were 49euro reduced to 35euro and then we got about 5euro per sweater back at Shannon VAT rebate.

Another trip I bought tartan pleated skirts for each of my granddaughters. There's no VAT on childrens' clothing

Bulky, but light!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:56 AM

Just thought of another item(s) Mullingar Pewter. They do nice candlesticks with celtic designs. They can be heavy in the suitcase though. Apologies for my awful spelling above, I type too fast.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:39 AM

I was just in Ireland a couple weeks ago and bought an Arran sweater. For the first time in my life I'm looking forward to colder weather so I can wear it! I also spent a lot of money on Irish music CDs. For kids, I got my nieces shamrock jewelry (earrings and necklace). I agree with the poster who gave the plug for Blarney Woolen Mills.

You probably know this already, but be on the lookout for the credit card scam that is so prevalent there. I can personally attest that it is still alive and doing well. Every time someone tried to pull that scam on me, I insisted in Euros and got my way. I had very little problem getting the merchants to do it "my" way except for the Bunratty Village gift shop. They were not nice about it at all. Too bad, losers!

Anyway, enjoy your trip Josie. You'll love it.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:54 AM

We purchased a few Wine Bottle Dress Ensembles made from Irish Linen. They were about 7-8 Euros each. They consisted of a cute cap embroidered with a shamrock with a green tassle, and a bib skirt that goes around the bottle.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Visit the "Irish Writers Museum". There used to be a one man show of the 900 year history of Irish writers done by a very witty fellow who does mimicry, recitation. See the show if still performed; consider buying the CD if not.

Failte!

Anthony

If you are giving to someone who loves ireland they will love it.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:40 AM

For smokers there are Peterson pipes; a store is located in Dublin.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Oh, by the way, be on the lookout for the Dynamic Currency Conversion in which merchants convert your purchases to $$$, costing you an extra 3%. It's widespread in Ireland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -