Reload this Page >

Best hotels in London??

Search

Best hotels in London??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:59 AM
alan

Best hotels in London??

We're taking a short trip to London..we've never been there. We want to stay at a very nice hotel (no price limit/company paid) and be near a lot of touristy things to see. We're also interested in a bus tour that we've heard about that lets you get off and on the bus at the different sites at your convenience. Thanks for any help.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Rich

<BR> <BR>Any time I am on expense account and in London, I stay at 21 Park Street. Small hotel with decent sized rooms and great staff. <BR> <BR>It's about 6 blocks off Oxford Street, near Marble Arch. <BR> <BR>Enjoy . . Rich

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Rich

<BR> <BR>Opps . . it is 47 Park Street Hotel. (21 is in Sidney) . . sorry. Here is their website. <BR> <BR>http://www.47parkstreet.com <BR> <BR>Rich <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Philip

If price is no limit, stay at The Savoy Hotel on the Strand. The location is excellent. Covent Garden is at your front door, the Thames is at the back of the hotel where you can have a nice stroll along the Embankment, and Buckingham Palace is a short walk. If you decide to take public transportation, you are near three different tube stops (Embankment, Charing Cross & Covent Garden). <BR> <BR>My favorite of the bus tours is the Big Bus tour. Their website is www.bigbus.co.uk

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 12:38 PM
anne

Athenaeum, Lanesborough, Mandarin. I'd stay in Hyde Park/Green Park area over Marble Arch (less commercial - but if shopping is what you want, Marble Arch may be preferable). Dorchester is well known but I don't like it as well. Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 03:38 PM
janis

Lanesborough, Savoy, Grosvenor House, Claridges, Browns, The Ritz, Dukes - - any of these or about ten others would be my choice if I could get someone else to pick up the tab.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Carla

If price were no object, definitely the Savoy.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Catalina

I just returned from a week's stay at the Marriott Grosvenor Square. The location is excellent, as are the hotel restaurant and the entire staff. They even provided me with a transformer box so I could use my curling iron. I would definitely stay there again.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Karen

The Lanesborough without question if you want top notch service, highest quality accommodations. It has been the highest rated hotel in London several times in recent years among readers' and travelmag polls. <BR>The Savoy is no longer first tier IMO. Living on past reputation. <BR>The other top hotels are the Mandarin, Dorchester, Four Seasons, Ritz.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:46 PM
me

The original poster asked for a nice hotel near touristy things. Many of the hotels listed here are nice, but they are not near touristy things. The Savoy fits the bill for being a nice hotel and near touristy things (from the Savoy it's quicker to Trafalgar Square, Tower of London, St. Paul's, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace than many of the other hotels listed here).

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:48 PM
wendy

I've been to London many times on business. DEfinitely Dorchester, then Claridges- Savoy is run down- rooms all differ greaty- and neigborhood is a bit seedy at night.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:05 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi <BR> <BR>Dorchester, number one... <BR> <BR>One Aldwych, which is also amazing, if you want to be right in the thick of things. It's right where the Strand turns into Aldwych... <BR> <BR>http://www.onealdwych.com/

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:51 AM
linda

alan, Lanesborough, Claridges, Connaught, Dorchester all top notch. Do not discount the super trendy, well appointed, and hip Covent Garden Hotel. The location is charming-on a street with cafes and restaurants and close to west end, Covent Garden,Soho etc. Give this hotel some serious consideration. <BR> <BR>linda