best hotel hvar??

Search

best hotel hvar??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best hotel hvar??

Hi, I am looking for a hotel on Hvar, potentially worth a splurge ($200-$300 per night range) that has beach front property and is a comfortable/nice hotel. Can anyone recommend? I've read about Hotel Amfora, Hotel Riva, Hotel Park, Hotel Adriana, and Hotel Palace... does anyone have any thoughts on any of these?
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Riva and it was fab!!
Real designer, great location, we loved it. However with a budget of $300 you can stay there in a standard room with city view, not a sea view. We had a junior suite, sea view. And remember, Croatia, with the exception of a few locales is not really beachy. In Hvar Town, people lie out on concrete or on lounge chairs that some hotels provide. Don't expect Caribbean type beaches.

When we were there the Amfora, Adriana and Palace were under renovation.

I'd recommend the Riva and if there is a special on sea view rooms that fit your budget, I'd go for it.

Most people on this board enjoy the sobes, but we are real hotel people and feel much more comfortable in them.

You are going to love Hvar.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:52 AM
hat

We stayed at the Park in May and loved it. It is less than a year old and they were just setting up the beautiful terraced dining area. A sea-view room looks out at the gorgeous harbour with a stunning vista. The nearest concrete beach is about 10 minutes away. This is a very clean, modern-yet homey hotel with very friendly service. My only concern would be noise in peak season as it is located right above the town square and beside the Hotel Palace, which is under renovation. It was very quiet in May.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:24 AM

tripgirl, i will also be there in sept with my husband 2 nights hvar and 3 in dubrovnik. I'm looking into riva now do you have any suggestions for dubrovnik? I have been reading your postings and although we have only 6 weeks before our trip I have not planned anything or even looked at what to do in these 2 places? Thanks for all your great post!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 12:13 PM

We stayed at the Villa Argentina for Dubrovnik; highly recommend. We had a huge sea view room. The hotel is a short walk into the Old Town and the hotel was great!

Stay at the Riva in Hvar, you won't regret it!

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:49 PM

tripgirl, i have now looked at both! We are in our early 30's and perfer to be in the middle of everything! Both these places look great! Did you book on line?
Lisa
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM

lisa,

Here is how it happened:

I did not book the Villa Argentina online as I wanted to be sure about a few things inthe room and the view, so I actually called to get alot of details and then booked over the phone.
But go for it online, there should be no problems.

For the Riva, I guess you read my Trip Report on how that all worked out. If you did not very briefly we booked another hotel before we even knew the Riva existed.(Around the time we went last yr, all this renovating started to happen, but there wasn't the type of property we are used to on Hvar, so I sucked it up and went with the Hotel Croatia, which for us was way below our standards. Trust me up until last year, finding a hotel with our standards was waaaaay tough and I'm a good little hotel detective. But somehow the Riva was just way under the radar at that time and honestly I did not know where to book for Hvar. Now the situation is completely changed, with so many hotels getting facelifts there.)

At dinner one night we met two Norweigan meeting planners who said they are staying at the brand new fabulous Riva. We promptly made a beeline to the hotel, booked a room and moved over our belongings.

We loved, loved , loved the Riva and it made our stay even better.

I'm, reaaaaaallllly particular about hotels having grown up in the business. For us, it's practically everything on a trip. I know for many Fodorites, it is not a priority, but it's a big one for us.

Anyway, you've made two good choices, stick with them.

Price is usually no object when it comes to hotels ( although I do have some limits). Croatia's charm though lies in the sobes and apartments that so many peope on this board enjoy; it's just not our cup of tea.

Apartments are great though for long terms stays and we enjoyed a beautiful one we have 4 yrs ago when we spent the summer in Cannes.

But for anything less than 4 weeks, we opt for hotels.

In any event, enjoy , enjoy. Croatia has become quite the destination!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Hope I catch you before you book. We stayed at the Hotel Podstine. It was a 15 minute walk from Hvar town. The rooms were quite nice and the setting is right on the water. Check out their website. We booked on line.