RAR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best guidebook for Eastern Europe?

Any tips?
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 03:49 AM
LLC

I had a whole stack of guidebooks I used, none great. Most were on the individual countries. There are several on Prague, and on Budapest, but not as many that include interesting small towns of the countryside. Rick Steves has a new book Best of Eastern Europe coming out in February.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 07:57 AM

I can't say the best,but I find Lonelyplanet's and Rough Guide's quite helpful.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 10:47 AM

RAR: There doesn't appear to be an "Eastern Europe" guidebook in current print. Fodor's had one years ago which I used to advantage then. More recently, I have had to use individual country guidebooks for eastern Europe.
The best appear to be Lonely Planet (thorough and objective) and the Insight Guides which are very detailed, but describe every sight as a must see. I use the two together to get the most complete information and still determine what is really worth the time and travel.
Perhaps someone will know of a guide that covers all of eastern Europe which I haven't found and if someone does, then I will benefit too.
You will get some help on country information on the "boards", but mostly about Hungary and The Czech Republic. When you get into the other countries, it is mostly information about the major cities or more prominent towns. Have fun planning your trip.
I am looking forward to the Rick Steves guide which his email states will be available in late February.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 11:52 AM
RAR
Original Poster

Really? That's not good as I plan on visiting 5-6 countries.. taking along 5 guidebooks wouldn't be very efficient for space (nor my pocketbook!).
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 12:21 PM
KT

Lonely Planet still publishes an eastern Europe book and a central Europe book, with some overlap so that some countries are in both. But of course, you're not going to get nearly the level of coverage that you get in their books for individual countries.

I agree that Lonely Planet and Rough Guides are good -- sometimes one is better than the other, depending upon location. I've happily used them, together with the Blue Guides for more detailed cultural information.

But, as is true of any destination, theres's no one "best" guidebook -- it depends upon your tastes and preferences.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 11:44 AM

Hi
If your planning on several countries, how much time are you going to be in each? Which countries are you planning on visiting. If yoiu want several countries, Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Lets Go and Fodors are tje only ones I'm aware of. Check with Amazon and request a search for eastern European guide books.
alan
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 01:18 PM
RAR
Original Poster

Yes I know which guidebooks there are, just some are better for some regions than others (ie Rough Guide Spain is great, Lonely Planet Spain is not). I'll be travelling in the arc between Poland and Bulgaria, and then Serbia and Croatia.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 08:08 PM

I have used the Lonely Planet guidebook for eastern Europe and found it fit my needs best. For individual countries I've used mostly Rough Guide, Blue Guide and Footprints. I've been disappointed in most of the Lonely Planet guides of individual countries recently. i used the Blue guide 2 yrs ago for Romania, Footprints for Croatia. I don't find Insight Guides helpful at all for actual travel. Too heavy, too many pictures. Used Eyewitness last year for Croatia and was glad I had Footprints along for descriptions rather than pictures. Never been a big fan of Rick Steves guidebooks, always seem somewhat incomplete and shallow.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 09:46 PM

Polite suggestion: Search internet for venues and countries you are interested in. Poland has more information available than one can assimilate! Use area map, plot trip. Call up check points on web. Air, Train, Bus, Automobile, Tour ??? Wildlife or City Centers? Expensive or penny pinching? Single or couple or family? Hotels or camping. For Poland try Norm Davies; God's Playground and Microcosm. Historical..tour the deathcamps. Try the bookstores..sample the guidebooks available. Use your library.....If you are near a University with a foreign department, talk with staff. Use major newspapers archives. Again, query Fodor for specific details. Someone has been there!
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 10:18 PM
RAR
Original Poster

Cool that's more what I was lookin for Aeiger, somethin specific. I'll look into Blue Guides, I hear they are very good w/ background info (history and whatnot).