Best German Castles

Search

Best German Castles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best German Castles

Of all the castles in the Black Forest and Bavaria, which were your favorites and why?

We would like to see at least one, maybe two.
Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Linderhof was my favorite. Beautiful grounds and castle.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:36 PM

We liked the out-of-the-ordinary Linderhof, created in Louis XIV rococo style (the gold and white bedroom is stunning), and the park incorporates beautiful fountains. In addition to the palace are a small but cherce Moorish kiosk with a peacock throne and a large grotto containing a lake on which King Ludwig II would ride in a swan boat to Wagnerian music.

Ludwig's private dining room had a self-service design to allow the king to dine completely alone: no servants.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 06:17 AM

wnab1g- Though Ludwig's castles are awesome, my 2 favorites are located between the Black Forest and Bavaria in Swabia. My number 1 is Schloss Hohenzollern. It is the family home of the once Kaiser - it is a "real" castle, very impossing, and in a magnificent setting. An excellent web site- "www.preussen.de/en/today.html". Number 2 is Lichtenstein Castle which is relatively close to Hohenzollern. It is much smaller and more intimate. It is perched on a rocky outcroping and is reached by a drawbridge over a deep ravine. A Google search will give you several hits with pictures.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:31 AM

1. Linderhof
2. Hohenzollern
3. Neuschwanstein
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 08:44 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Another vote for Linderhof - having seen all of Ludwig's castles, it's definitely my favorite.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Linderhof is very nice, but I wouldn't call it a castle any more than I would call the White House a castle. I guess it all depends on how one visions a castle versus a palace, a mansion or a chateau.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Strictly speaking, a castle refers to a building or group of buildings designed to fortified and defended. So, Linderhof is really a palace (and a great one to visit). Neuschwanstein is something in-between - designed to look fortified, but not seriously intended to be defended.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:25 PM

I do know the difference between a castle and a palace, honestly, but all my guidebooks to Bavaria refer to Linderhof as "Schloss Linderhof" so I just followed suit.

While we're on the subject, where are the real castles in Germany? I know there are some along the Rhine, but elsewhere?
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Chatters

Technically, a castle is any building with a tower, a moat and a drawbridge. Size has nothing to do with the definition.

P.S. My college boyfriend was an Architecture Major and I had to listen to hours of this type of talk....

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Chatters

By the way, Underhill, I agree with you....if the Germans called it a castle.....

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Now if the French were only more logical about differentiating between a château and a true castle! I keep telling people who want to see the castles in the Loire Valley that many of them are not, just enormous houses and hunting lodges.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Is a moat an absolute requirement?
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Another vote for Linderhoff and Burg Hohenzollern.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Art

There used to be a book on Castles of Germany. There are over 25 thousand in just the former West Germany.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 10:38 AM

To reply to Underhills question, there are dozens of "real" castles (btw, I agree with your definition of a castle vs. palace) in the former East Germany, in particular in Saxony.

For example (you can google with the names if you like to )
Kuckuckstein, Kriebstein (a gem of a medieval castle!), Rochsburg, Colditz, Gnandstein ...

There is also one in the Harz mountains with name "Falkenstein".

In south Germany Lichtenstein is my favourite castle.

And I DISLIKE Neuschwanstein!

Happy travels,

Ingo
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Not that is matters, but "Schloss" doesn't necessarily mean castle - it also translates to "palace" or "chateau" or even "large stately home." Schloss Nymphenberg, for example, is usually translated as Nymphenberg Palace.

There are many true castles that didn't have a moat (wet or dry) and drawbridge as part of their fortifications, though most that I'm familiar with did have a tower (keep) of some sort.

Question of the day for castle aficianados: which way do spiral staircases in "real" castles always turn, and why?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Which way the staircases turn depends on whether you're going up or down.

I think I remember one guide saying that the reason for having the staircase curve to the left on the way down was to leave a soldier's sword-arm (assuming he was right handed) with space to maneuver.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:49 PM

I find it a bit odd that anyone would actively dislike Neuschwanstein. Its history is certainly fascinating intertwined as it is with the tragic story of "Mad" King Ludwig. And I can't imagine that anyone could find it anything other than stunning in its natural setting--especially the view from Mariensbrucke. It is truly a fantasy confection that could only have been conceived and realized by someone with a unique world view ala Ludwig.

But different strokes for different folks. That's why they make so many different colors of neckties.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 03:05 PM

Underhill - We have a winner! Yes, based on the assumption that the defender (whose castle it is, after all) would be higher on the staircase than the attacker and facing down, so would have a better swing with his (presumably right) sword hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -