Best Edinburgh Guidebook?

Feb 19th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Mac

Best Edinburgh Guidebook?

What's your opinion of the best overall guidebook for Edinburgh? We are a family of four (with 2 teenagers) with 3 days to spend there -- so highlights are important. Thanks!

Feb 19th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Sheila

Wait till you get there; then go to Thin's in George Street. They have a great selection of guide books specific to Edinburgh, including, I think, one for Edinburgh with teenagers.

You could try e-mailingthem for a list if you don't want to wait that long

Feb 19th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Sheila

This might help

http://www.jthin.co.uk/indexscot.htm

Feb 19th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Danna

Mac, this isn't an Edinburgh book but a Scotland book we used alot! "Scotland the Best" by Peter Irvine. It's got a section on Edinburgh and is split into areas like best hotels, b&b's, pubs, strolls, gardens, beaches etc. They also have a website. If you do a search on "Scotland the Best" you should come up with it. It's sponsored by Famous Grouse whiskey so look for that in the returns. We found good stuff throughout scotland with this. Have a great time!

Feb 19th, 2001, 07:40 PM
ron

I find that a guide book is most valuable in planning a visit, so I am skeptical of the advice to wait til you get to Edinburgh to buy one - but do visit James Thin book store anyway. I used the "TimeOut Edinburgh" book, published by Penguin, and found it very useful, accurate and doesn't take itself too seriously. Crappy maps, though.

Feb 19th, 2001, 09:13 PM
joyce

Hi Mac. type in Edinburgh under search and you will get many leads with info on the city. I was on a site Eurotrotter with live cams to Edinburgh really interesting. We also are going , in May, so have been doing some searching myself.Fodors has a mini guide for Edinburgh. Enjoy. Joyce

Mar 17th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Stinger

Hey Mac!...what about that, your name is the same as my computer!! ; )

The guide book I REALLY like is not an Edinburgh book either but rather a Scotland book as well. It's called "Eyewitness Travel Guides-Scotland." It is fantastic but general. It doesn't list lodgings and restarants like others but rather it breaks down the city by sections and list the popular must see's and shopping areas in town. It also has very nice city maps and detailed, easy to understand, drawings with cutaways of the castle, new town, and the royal mile.

I think you'll find it very helpful as it does this with most every main city in Scotland. This would be helpful if you plan to vist others like Glasgow, Stirling, etc.

Have a great time!

Mar 17th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Judy

Hi Mac, I have the same book Ron has, "Time Out:Edinburgh" and I like it a lot too. It even has Tailor's Hall hotel that we are staying at. It even has a few day trips listed too. Has a pretty good segment about Festival too.
Cardoghan guides are pretty good too, but I liked TO better. Judy

Mar 17th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Cara

I also used the TimeOutEdinburgh tour book and was quite happy with it. Like one of the other posters, I would recommend you pick up an additional map though, since it falls a little short in this area.

Apr 6th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Mark

Hi Mac,

I agree with the Time Out recommendation, their London guidebook is also excellent. The other really good book is 'Edinburgh the best', I know amazon have it at: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/000472464X/bibs It is basically a smaller version of the superb 'Scotland the Best' book - everything is rated, which is very helpful and the author lives just outside Edinburgh so he knows the city well. The web site is at: http://www.famousgrouse.com/scotlandthebest/

The best map is the A to Z which only costs about 3 pounds - it depends how much you want to carry although the A to Z is quite thin and light.

Regards,

Mark.
OneClickTravel.com

Search this Thread