Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best dining spots in Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, and Venice

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving in a little less than 2 weeks! =) I was wondering if you all had any favorite dining/wine drinking spots in any of our four destinations: Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, and Venice. We are looking for the best atmosphere, food, wine etc. to really experience Italy.
Thank you for your suggestions - you all have been so wonderful in helping us plan our trip.
-April
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM
MaureenB

If you search this forum for restaurants in each city, you will find lots and lots of them recommended.

These are from my own posted trip reports:

Florence:
"The afternoon we arrived, my daughter took me to a rooftop café, which overlooks the Duomo. It is on the top of a nice little ‘department’ store. I think it’s called Ristorante Ottorino, via delle Oche, 12-16r. We enjoyed wine and salads, on the sunny afternoon, with a close-up view of the Duomo. A very nice introduction to Florence for me.. . .

"My daughter recommended one of her favorite restaurants, the Trattoria Garga on Via del Moro 48/R, phone 055 2398898. We had an amazing meal there, probably my best in Italy. My dish was veal with avocado, which sounds odd (most really good dishes do, I think), and was mouth-watering. Our waiter was a riot-- singing and joking all over the restaurant. It was a friendly, lively, bustling atmosphere with excellent food. We paid 81EUR for two, with a half-liter of house wine."

Rome:
"Later, for dinner, we headed back toward a restaurant where my daughter had eaten earlier that semester. It’s very casual and good, called the Maccheroni Ristorante at Piazza delle Coppelle, 44, phone 06 68307895. It’s very popular with locals and gets very busy. The service is friendly and the atmosphere is lively and interesting. About 47 EUR for two, with one-half liter of house wine.. . .

"We had reservations to meet my daughter’s friend for dinner at 9:00. He had studied in Rome that semester and recommended his favorite restaurant in the neighborhood where he’d lived, called Il Matriciano, on Via dei Gracchi, 49- 61. (Reservations advised—phone 063213040, or 063212327) It’s perfect for a more special dinner, but certainly not over-the-top. For three people dining, we paid just 103 EUR, which included a liter of house wine. We shared two appetizers, and two of us had veal dishes, one had just spaghetti. We each enjoyed coffee and dessert. It is a very, very friendly and pleasant place. We completely enjoyed it."

Have fun in Italy! Good food abounds. . .
>-

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Our favorite restaurant in Rome was marios's (the one near the forum). Its a small cafe; the owner is the host, he is wonderful. we arrived the first night and he was more than gracious. when we returned three nighs later, it was like we were old friends...kisses, grappa with us afterwards and the best of all: he 'made a for us a special dinner' - it wasn't on the menu and fabulous. they have a printed menu but many times, those dishes may not be available since everything is selected daily based on what is in season and fresh. If you walk 'north' from the produce market in florence, (we stayed on via faenza), you'll find a little square with several outdoor cafes. All were good and definitely, in the spirit of Italy.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Keep in mind that in Rome in particular, many of the restaurants are closed in August (including Il Matriciano mentioned in an earlier post).
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:41 AM
J62

Venice

Osterie alla Botte (www.osteriaallabotte.it) and Al Covo
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:08 AM

I posted a trip report of Rome, Florence and Venice in May that is mostly about food/restaurants. Click on my name and look for the one that has "Donkey" in the title.

Enjoy and be sure to post a report when you get back!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:20 AM

We liked Gambera Rosa in CT--Vernazza. Fun outdoor dining--very casual with cats wandering under the tables.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I have got to get my trip report written. However our favorite restaurant in Rome was Armando al Pantheon, just off the Piazza by the Pantheon. We loved the food and the way the chef watched his dining room enjoy his food.

In Cinque Terre we stayed in Monterrosso. We fell in love with the Pesto. The Best was at the Belvedere, right at the waterfront in the old town. The local Cinque Terre wine as always good - white. We also ate at Al Posso twice, again in the old part of Monterrosso.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 05:02 PM

The Marina Piccola restaurant in Manarola http://www.hotelmarinapiccola.com/, dining on the terrace beneath the awning, facing the harbor, is our favorite. Their pastas and seafood are exceptional.

In Vernazza, we had a superb dinner at Gianni Franzi's restaurant http://www.giannifranzi.it/restaurant.htm, sitting outside on the main piazza by the harbor.

There is an excellent restaurant in Groppo, Cappun Magru, Via Volastra 19 19010 Groppo (3 km north of Manarola) Phone: +39 0187 920563) and one in Volastra, GLI ULIVI Via Ns.della Salute 114 -Volastra, 19017 Riomaggiore (SP) Phone: + 39 0187 920158.

I recommend reservations for any of these restaurants at dinner time and even at lunch time during the summer.

The villages of Groppo and Volastra are above Manarola and can be reached by the Cinque Terre shuttle bus. We've taken the bus to Volastra for lunch and then walked the path with its superb views down to Manarola.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:31 PM

bookmarked
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM

bookmarking
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Ciak in Monterosso! Wonderful seafood. We ate there both nights we were in CT because it was that good. Enjoy!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Uma

In Venice, we liked Alle Testiere - a tiny place that was hard to find, but the fish and pasta were delicious. In Florence, we enjoyed the food and "theater"at La Giostra. (The owner is very colorful). My husband's favorite restaurant in Rome was Tullio; mine was La Piazzetta, near the Forum and Colosseum. Have a wonderful trip!