Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best day of the week for Pompeii & touring the rest of Amalfi Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just trying to plan itinerary and wondered what are the best days to do activities like Pompeii and a day trip to Capri vs. touring the coast and it's towns... we'll be in the area Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue and it will be April so no laying on the beach to consider. Don't know operating hours in Pompeii and if there is a better time to be there or any where else.

Also, is it ridiculous to spend 2 nights in Sorrento and then 2 nights in Praiano? I'm taking Ira's recommendation and considering staying at Le Sirene otherwise have 4 nights already booked at Villa Oriana in Sorrento (which I can cancel).

Ira... will parking be an issue at Le Sirene? It seems like they don't have parking available but do you think street parking will be available? Any other advice you have is always worth hearing.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:42 AM

Sorry I am not Ira but I will humbly answer your query about days of the week, do not go on a weekend if possible.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:23 AM

In April you are well before the season, so the only real consideration is weather. I would recommend picking a nice cool or even rainy day to visit Pompeii, and even if you can't swim, enjoyng the coast when the weather is bright and clear -- meaning, play it by ear.

I don't think it's ridiculous to spend time in Sorrento if you inted to visit Naples, where it is inadvisable to drive. It's also possible to more easily day trip to Capri from there. But if you have a car, you can daytrip to Pompeil from the coast.

Le Sirene should be able to advise you about parking.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I will tell you Le Sirene is down in the middle of the cliffs below town, down alot of stairs so parking will be up on top on the main road somewhere. Maybe the hotel has a deal with a parking lot co., good idea to ask them directly.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM
ira

Hi K,

Sorrento is more convenient for Pompeii and Naples.

You can get to Capri from Praiano via Positano. The Orange bus will take you to the docks - about 1/2 hr, 1 E.

The Le Sirene can arrange for a private garage for you.

Is there a reason why you will have a car on the AC?

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all (glad it wasn't just Ira, didn't mean to exclude opinions)!

We have a car for 4 of our 8 days in Italy. We will not have a car while in Rome but are picking one up at CIA airport which, as I understand, is far enough south of the city to avoid much of the madness. We were able to get quite a deal on a car ($152 for four days, unlimited miles/kms) and after considering the cost of train tickets back and forth to Rome (where we will be flying back to Germany) to the AC but especially the cost of transportation from the train station to our destinations on AC Praiano/Sorrento/Positano (which as I understand can easily be 100E for a driver)... seemed like the more economic choice. Also, DH is German, has an international license and is comfortable w/ European/Italian roads and drivers. We opted for the freedom of having our own wheels. Kinda funny actually... I was leaning more to trains but DH wanted to freedom of an auto... he's getting so Americanized! I realize having a car is often not-so-much freedom but an anchor. Having weighed the options and as our B&B in Sorrento has free parking we went w/ the car. I'll let you know if we live to regret that decision.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Hi again, I am sure you will not regret having a car with you especially if your husband is European! There are just some people that I can't imagine riding a bus on the Amalfi Coast, have fun!
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 09:23 AM

I was in that neighborhood last October and trained down from Rome to Naples where I spent one night and used that as a base for a day at Pompeii, taking the local Vesuviana train there and back (about 45 minutes each way I think). I used the hotel booking service in the Naples train station to get a room in Sorrento and took the train back and stayed for 2 nights. That's plenty to get a good feel for the town and the coast. Then took the bus to Positano. Get to the Sorrento station EARLY and wait in line. I wouldnt really consider driving to Positano because the roads are so narrow and the buses are so huge, and the parking is almost impossible on the street from what I could see. Spent a night at the Royal Positano Hotel and a splurge night at the Il San Pietro. No matter where you stay on the Amalfi Coast it will be well worth the time - so have a ball and take LOTS of photos.