Naples/Amalfi or Sicily in Oct/Nov?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning my second trip to Italy (the first was to Tuscany several years ago), and it looks like I'll be limited to travelling in October or November, perhaps even as late as around Thanksgiving. My question for those of you in the know: which of these destinations, Naples/Sorrento/Capri/Amalfi coast, or Sicily, would be pleasanter at that time of year? And if weather were not a factor, which of the two would you choose as your second taste of Italy?

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:40 PM

If weather were not a factor, I'd pick Sicily for its sheer fascination and variety in art, history and food. Sicily really has it all, and you could probably take several two week vacations there in a row and still not have seen it all.

Considering the weather, I'd be loathe to book the Amalfi. You could get lots of rain and misty days, which would obscure the views. Boats to the islands would not be running. It's possible that in the "down" season, the Amalfi coast has an abandoned and lonely look -- not to mention it is likely that many restaurants will simply be shut for the season.

You may not have particularly good weather in Sicily, but there are many things to enjoy that don't depend on good weather. And if you take a chance on Taormina, you will have a cliffside view of the sea as beautiful as that of the Amalfi on a sunny day -- and a volcano that is as impressive as Vesuvius.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:41 PM

That late in the year only Sicily will give you a good chance at decent weather, and that may be rainy.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:44 PM

By the way, here are the weather comparisons:

http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/...to/lib/climate

http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/...mo/lib/climate
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Here's an even better comparison chart:

http://www.gate1travel.com/italy-tra...ly-weather.htm

Actually, bob, Campania has the edge, weatherwise, for November, in terms of average daily temps.

But I still think that the Amalfi is to be enjoyed in warm, sunny weather. Not many indoor activities.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:52 AM

There was a report a while ago about a trip to Sicily and Malta, which you can probably find through a search.

The poster went for two or three weeks in November 2005 and had not a single day of rain in Sicily.

I, on the other hand, was in Sicily in early October 2005 and had 10 days with some rain out of 14 days.

But it's still better to be in Sicily than on the Amalfi Coast if it rains.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:59 AM
ira

Hi A,

You are well into the off-season on the AC.

You will be likely to have more than a few days of fog, rain and wind on the AC where the views are obscured, ferries won't run and there won't be much to see or do.

It won't matter in Naples.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:13 PM

What about traveling to these areas in early November (late October)?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:52 PM

Honestly the weather likely will not be very nice in November, especially by Thanksgiving. Certainly you may be lucky and get crisp cold days as opposed to rain - this winter in Sicily was VERY wet and colder than the last few have been (there was sprinklings of snow and that is RARE). The worst has been Jan - Feb. Of course, the weather has never stopped us travelling in the slow season and there will always be places to stay and places to eat as well as much to see, so go for it!
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM

I spent a week last October on the Amalfi coast and it couldn't have been more perfect - the weather was lovely and never saw a drop of rain, but I did have my umbrella in case. I spent time in Naples (only to sleep one night as a base for Pompeii daytrip), 2 nights in Sorrento, two nights in Positano. Enjoy the beautiful coast!