Best chocolate in Belgium

Dec 13th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Best chocolate in Belgium

Like everyone else, I know that Belgium is famous for chocolate. Any suggestions for two of the best? (I like chewies and nuts while the missus likes soft centers)Thanks.
Dec 13th, 2003, 10:06 AM

My all time favourite- Cote d'Or. It comes in plain slabs, soft centers, nuts, anything you can think of- YUM!
http://www.oregongourmet.com/cote-d-or-chocolate.html
Dec 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM

Everywhere you walk in Brussels and Brugges (those are the only cities in Belgium I have been to) you will find excellent chocolate. You can buy one piece and see if you like their chocolate. Having waffled and chocolated my way through Belgium, I long for the day I go back for more.
Dec 13th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

oo-oo-ooh! oo-oo-ooh! Yum, yum, yum, yum. I can taste the stuff now.
Dec 13th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Sausalito, if your missus likes dark chocolate, she'll love the Cote d'Or sensations dark w/orange. They also have delicious biscuits (I think they are new as of last year?)

Mischka, thanks for the link.
Dec 13th, 2003, 12:30 PM
gb

My favorite is the seashells. I just went to the Belgium chocolate store in Castle Rock Co. yesterday and spent $62 for Christmas presents and a little for me! It is so goood.
Dec 13th, 2003, 12:31 PM
dln

My favorite belgian chocolate is Leonidas. They have shops all over Brussels, but if you can't wait, or you simply want to whet your appetit, take a look at www.leonidas.com.

Dec 13th, 2003, 12:45 PM

It's been a while, but the best Belgium chocolate I've had was the one with the fresh cream inside. It had to be refrigerated and would spoil if left out at room temperature. All I remember is we asked for "cream fresh." Maybe someone from Belgium can tell us the name. As far as I'm concerned, it was the best.
Dec 13th, 2003, 06:01 PM
gb

PS. Now, that you mentioned mail order. You can mail order from the one in Colorado. It's called Belvedere and they have a web page. The owner is a chocolatier from Brugges who has family send him the Callebort (sp?) chocolate.They make it fresh here without preservatives and the shipping is closer. Sorry, I don't have the website, but google Belvedere. It tastes like the real thing, and is, except that it is made in the US. I know you won't be disappointed (although they don't carry quite as many varities that I saw in Belgium)
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:06 AM

if you want to order chocolates in the US, try chocosphere.com. I'm not affiliated with the company. I just ordered a bunch of cote d'or for bf for Xmas and had no problem. They have other Belgian, Italian, American, German chocolatess as well.
Yum.
Best, Marge
Dec 14th, 2003, 12:45 PM
JMM

mmmmmmm - Belgian chocolate. Speaking as an addict - of the commonly available commercial brands I like
Cote d'Or milk chocolate or milk chocolate with nuts. However the best I have ever had was Leonidas - sinful !
Dec 14th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

I can't stand it. Can already feel the cholesterol shooting up. Leonidas and Cote d'Or here I come! Maybe the chilliness will make us walk more or on the other hand we may wind up in a cafe drinking hot chocolate. And to think that I only have three days there. Maybe we should eat our way through Berussels and then walk our way through Brugge and then return to Brussels for more eating?
Dec 14th, 2003, 05:00 PM

Neuhaus...I've only been to their store in Brussels by the Grand Place. They have pretty good selection and service. I bought some for family, friends,and co-workers, and so far, it's been a hit!

Dec 14th, 2003, 05:19 PM

We chose an unknown chocolate shop just nearby Grand Place. I don't even recall the name, it's a small store. But the chocolate was even better, in my opinion only, than the French chocolates. I don't think you can go wrong with any chocolatier in Belgium as the chocolate is so good there.
Dec 14th, 2003, 05:26 PM

I don't know the name of the ones some Belgiums friends sent me but they came in all delightful shapes from seashells, mushrooms to animals but so-o-o decadent and I'm not into chocolates but these were special.
Dec 14th, 2003, 11:03 PM

The best 'plain and simple' chocolate to me is Cote d'Or, of which I especially like the darkest versions.
As for confection chocolate, you should try Neuhaus and Godiva. Leonidas is a category below.

Important to mention is the arrival on the chocolate scene of some "micro-manufacturers"; smaller companies going for the top quality product. One of them is DOLFIN. They have slabs in different tastes of a superb quality, such as ginger, cinnamon, pink peppercorn,... and a delicious 88%cacao. (www.dolfin.be)
Dec 14th, 2003, 11:26 PM

To each his own--we can't stand Cote d'Or. It's the cheapest chocolate in Belgium and it gives me heartburn. The best chocolate for you, Sausalito, is the chocolate YOU like best. I suggest you try several different brands before making up your mind. The worst thing you could do is buy a whole bunch of chocolate from one brand without tasting it first and then decide you would have preferred something else.
The Guylian seashell chocolates are tasty (but have a higher sugar content than most Belgian chocolates). They can be bought pretty inexpensively in Belgian grocery stores. There are also "generic" imitations--I've never had those so don't know how they taste.
Good brands include Neuhaus, Leonidas (our Belgian friends tell us this is the brand Belgians like to buy for themselves, but don't usually give as gifts--all I know is that little stalls that sell it all over town are usually full of customers), Pierre Marcolini, Godiva, Wittamer, and dozens of other boutique chocolate makers.
FYI, did you know Jean-Claude Van Damme originally planned to become a chocolate maker?
Dec 15th, 2003, 01:08 AM

Although Leonidas is considered a category below, it is the best sold chocolate in Belgium. I dare admit that I highly prefer their pralines over Godiva's or Neuhaus'.
Leonidas' founder, Jean Daskalides, used to be a gynaecologist before he went into chocolates. He certainly knows what is good!!
Dec 15th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

MyriamC -

I am trying to read your comment with a straight face but I'm afraid every word
has a pun in it. This could be the beginning of a very racy thread. Now wouldn't that be sweet? (pun intended)
Dec 15th, 2003, 11:33 PM

Sausalito,
No pun intended in my message!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO