Best Beds (but cheap) in London?

Sep 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Best Beds (but cheap) in London?

I tend to put more value in bed comfort when I travel than in fancy pillows, curtains, and all that stuff. Some hotel beds are absolutely horrid, and some are fantastic - and it often seems irrelevant to the price you pay.

So, what hotels do you think offer the most comfortable beds in the London area? Which ones do so a reasonable price?
Sep 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM

I think you will find truly high quality beds only in upscale hotels - and in London that means big $$$.

For a bargain hotel - be happy if it's clean and the bed is more than a foot smaller than the room and not lumpy.
Sep 13th, 2007, 04:49 AM

Cloudboy, your requirements and mine are precisely the same. I know other things are important to others and thatís fine. I simply donít care about much else in a London hotel other than a comfortable bed, as long as the location isnít cruddy. I ignore any information about how central it is to all of the sites, etc. If itís in Tube zones 1-2, itís fine as far as access to the sites.

Many people say they arenít particular about a hotel ďbecause you only sleep there.Ē But those eight hours will determine whether the next sixteen will be enjoyable or painful.

I try to see to the beds on the hotelís website, if possible, specifically looking for the height of the mattress. That is, are they the skimpy four-inch or the standard eight-inch? (Sounds weird, I know.)

You mention at a ďreasonableĒ price. That term varies from person to person. (My brother would be willing to pay $400 / night; my nephew would suggest 30 sheckels.) But I sense that you and I are on the same page.

What it, more often than not, comes down to is, not surprisingly, price. Iíve yet to pay a low price and get top quality. That brings in my best friends for London hotels: Priceline and Hotwire. Iíve had exceptional success with both. I select nothing less than three stars.

Meanwhile, if someone can recommend a specific hotel by name, love to hear about it!

Finally, I keep in mind that what I spend in a week in London is not what affects my budget. Itís what I do the other 51 weeks of the year on a day-to-day basis. That allows me to splurge a bit if needed.

Sep 13th, 2007, 07:26 AM
tod

I only remember one hotel in London that had putrid beds and sheets that didn't even go down to the end of the matress and that was The Tavistock near Russell Square. They also banged on the door and ask us to hurry up and get out so they can make up the room even at 8am! Maybe it's changed now but I doubt it.
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM

We had great beds in a club room at Millennium Bailey's. But everyone's great bed is different, just like shoes!
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Ah i can see Fodor's next guidebook

Fodor's London Beds

How can anyone recommend
"hotels do you think offer the most comfortable beds in the London area? Which ones do so a reasonable price?>

unless they go around and try all the beds.

and i think different rooms in a hotel may have difference beds too - so have to try beds in lots of rooms in hotels

seems like an impossible question to even start to answer.