Best Audio TApes forBeginning Italian

Oct 26th, 2001, 10:09 PM
Karen

Best Audio TApes forBeginning Italian

I bought some 14.95 box of cassettes for conversational Italian, but they are no help because they just keep repeating random phrases in no order and for no purpose. I am a school teacher, I guess I need something a little more structured, but very simple to help me learn the basics of the language and not have to kill myself while I learn. Any ones that have proven to work for you? I only have six months and a car cassette, or CD player. Any good Videos out there to help learn the language. Where can I buy these things. Not too expensive I hope. Thanks Karen

Oct 27th, 2001, 02:36 AM
fiona

Karen
I have tried several audio tapes and have had no success.I'm coming to the conclusion that I will have to attend a course.There are several at colleges specifically for converstion. I will then maybe be able to use the tapes as an additional resource.

Oct 27th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Mark

Karen-
What tapes did you buy? I have a very difficult time learning languages. In fact, some might say I have a very difficult time with English, my native tongue! ;-D However, thanks to the advice of a kind Fodorite, I used the Pimsleur Italian tape series with very good results. You can find the abbreviated version (eight lessons, four audiocassettes) in better bookstores. Complete sets of intro, intermediate, and advanced (about 30 lessons each)instruction can be purchased from Amazon.com or directly from Pimsleur International, Inc. in Concord, MA. Unfortunately, at about $250 each, the complete sets are expensive. No, I don't have any connection with the company. I'm just a satisfied customer. If they can teach ME a foreign language, they can teach ANYBODY!

Oct 28th, 2001, 01:19 AM
Karen

Tahnks Someone e-mailed me personally about the Pimsleur tapes. I checked it out and it's cheaper on Amazon than their website. Amazon has a used set (unopened) guess he had high hopes, for 217 the CD version. That was better than 345 on the sybervision web site. Would you suggest CD's or cassettes? Wondering which would be able to rewind easier to relisten to something real quick. Anyone know about Ultimate Italian. I was given that as a suggestion to go along with Pimsleur. Any other ideas? Thanks Karen

Oct 28th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Rex

Karen,

I have two answers for you:

1. You want to learn in your car? Would you recommend that any of your students learn Italian or algebra or biology this way? To make substantial progress (and many will argue that you don't need to learn "all that much" Italian to enjoy your trip, but I personally disagree), you need to take this as serious as a school subject - - 30 minutes distraction free, 2-3 times a week, and maybe 60-90 minutes once every week or two.

2. Having said that (and being a "techno-phile"), might I suggest the "Learn in your Car" series from www.audible.com - - I don't actually know anything about the series personally, but I think that their technology is cool. Inexpensive as a download ($9.95 for each in the series of three, or $15.95 for two, as part of their subscription plan), but you have to buy a car-compatible device (unless you already have an MP3 player) to use it away from the Internet.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 28th, 2001, 05:52 AM
ellen

I've used the Ultimate series. If you want to learn grammar as well as conversation it's pretty good. It's difficult to assess how much it did me, however, since when I went to Italy a year ago, I had been studying Italian for one year. I'm still studying (in a class)and although now I can read Italian newspapers and magazines, and can make myself understood, I'm still at a loss when I try to understand someone speaking rapid-fire Italian, or even medium Italian sometimes. I think you have to live there or take a long immersion course, to become fluent. The tapes will help you with the basics, though.

Oct 28th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Karen

Thanks for the info. Rex, you seem to know alot in the posts I've read in the past few months. I don't have an MP-3 whatever in my car, so I have a few choices. I go to Italy for 3 weeks with a dictionary and no prior knowledge. I am sure others have done it before, or I try to invest in something that will teach me the basics with both book parts to study at home and conversation to listen to in the car. I have been recommended two sets. The Ultimate Italian,I can get for $39.00. It's a large book with a CD, seems like most learning at home. The other is the Pimsleur series which is 16 CD or cassette which is 30 lessons with a "money back guarantee". These I can get the CD's for 189.00 right now. Do you or anyone who has been to Italy have recommendation for me. Remember option 1 is always there. Just wing it with a dictionary. What are your opinions and experiences?Thanks Karen

Oct 28th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Karen

Post to top please. I lost the whole post.

Oct 28th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Karen

Topping I hope

Oct 28th, 2001, 03:12 PM
russ i

Karen,

About 10 months before I went to Italy for the first time, I bought the Berlitz Italian CD. This is a single 70 minute disk, which I listened to in my car everyday for all 10 months. I found it much easier with a CD as I could repeat just the most recent section 20 times if I wanted, before moving on to the next. This CD was travel oriented, so it only dealt with food, hotels, airports, trains, directions, museums, sightseeing, etc. What I learned was able to get me through 90% of the situations (including the time that I thought I had mis-understood the museum guard at the Uffizi to say that the bathroom was next to the Pope, only to find the door right next to a statue of the Pontiff himself).

When I got back home, I took a 1 year university Italian course, followed by a 10 week conversation class, before returning to Italy to live for 2 years. Of course, this was essential for making friends, finding and apartment, etc.; however, I still find that most of what I use for travel is what I learned on that first disk. Good luck and have fun!

Oct 28th, 2001, 10:06 PM
Karen

Russ, Thank you for responding. Do you have the exact name of the CD? Where did you find it cheapest? I have a question about CD's in the car. WHen it is loaded with songs, when you go back, it goes back to the last song. It is indexed that way. When you have a language tape and want to go back and hear something again how far does it go back or forward? Can you choose how far or is it set when you buy the CD. Thank you for answering this question. I have never listened to a CD that is not music before so I don't know how the rewind and forward are set up. Thanks.

Oct 28th, 2001, 10:08 PM
Karen

When myself or someone else responds to this subject, why does it not go back to the top, and why is it in Europe and not Italy, where I put it?

Oct 28th, 2001, 10:42 PM
russ i

Karen,

The CD I bought was called BERLITZ CD Italian. It was put out in 1993, so by now it might be a slightly different name. The tracks are indexed like songs, so you can go back and forward as on a music CD. This one has 36 tracks, so on average they are under 2 minutes each. At the end of each 3 - 6 tracks is a dialogue using the terms presented in the previous few tracks.

I just did a search on Amazon.com and found one called Berlitz Italian for $13.99. I don't know if it is exactly the same, as it was issued in August 2001.

Oct 28th, 2001, 11:13 PM
Karen

Thank you Russ. That was very thoughful of you. I will check them out and let you know. Karen