Best Area to Stay in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in London for 3 nights in early September. We are in our mid-30's and would like to stay in a hotel that is relatively quiet and in a safe neighborhood, and also cheap (under $150, cheaper if possible, with en suite bathroom). We like more quaint, small locations, no chains. With only 2 full days, our plans are to visit the British Museum and Crown Jewels at the Tower (perhaps with a Beefeater Tour too), and also "hit the highlights" with a quick driveby/viewing of some famous sights such as Big Ben, Buckingham, etc. Can someone recommend a good location or neighborhood for us to search for hotels?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:22 AM

I'd recommend Bloomsbury. You're right near the British Museum and can easily walk into Soho, Covent Garden etc. There are numerous reasonably priced hotels and B&B's that would meet your requirements, plenty of restaurants, good tube access at Holborn and Russell Square, and you can pick up one of the hop-on-hop-off bus tours outside the Royal National Hotel in Southampton Street. Do one whole lap of the bus tour and then stay on till you get to the Tower - come back by boat (included in your 24 hour ticket I think).
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:30 AM

For me the best area to stay in London is South Kensigton/Knightsbridge, quiet with good shopping and restaurants nearby.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:49 AM

I agree South Kensington is a great area mainly beacuse you can walk to lots of things - museums, restaurants,pubs, great shopping on High St Ken or Knightsbridge, access to beautiful parks (Hyde Park, Kensington Gdns) and if you are a keen walker you can walk through both of these parks and it will bring you to Marble Arch and you have Oxford St and surroundings to explore. You are also out of the main drag so evenings will be quieter and local pubs and restaurants will be in the area. Enjoy
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:55 AM

there are many, many areas in which to stay in london and with a price range that is quite restrictive (under £80), i suggest that you make a list of hotels that fit your price range and other requirements. we can then comment on which area is better than the other.

also, most areas have a combination of quiet and very busy areas so comments like "knightsbridge is quiet" are rather meaningless for you.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
walkingaround hit it on the head.

Just about every central London neighborhood is safe, and convenient to all the sites. No one area is near to more than a small handful of sites but all are w/i an easy tube or bus ride away.

And at $150 or less, you may get more "quaint" than you bargain for. There are LOTS of hotels in your price range, but not many what we might call "boutique, comfy" ones.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Great! Thank you for all of your responses. I will look into availability of some hotels in my price range that I have found, and post at a later time for opinions.
Thanks!
Joanna
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Check out K&K George in Kensington (on border of S. Kensington really), easy tube access at Earls Court. Contemporary with fantastic breakfast and free internet access 24 hours. No downside. The price is great and it is quiet and central. Stayed there last July. Newly decorated. Walking distance to trendy Holland Park $$$$ and Notting Hill is close. South Kensington and all its restaurants are walking distance as well. Direct access to Heathrow on the Earls Court Line. (2-3 blocks away)
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 04:32 AM

I would second the South Kensington/Knightsbridge area. My sister in law lived there for 5 years and we found no problem in getting to all of the major attractions, many of which were within easy walking distance. Tube access was extremely good. (The family is still upset that she moved back to the States this year - she had such a great "hotel", er flat).