Best area of Paris

Search

Best area of Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best area of Paris

I have posted once before, and am hoping for this final post. We have narrowed our search to 2 hotels in paris to stay after checking out this site and reading Trip advisor reviews. We have a room at Hotel Du Danube which is centrally located in the Saint Germaine des Pres area on Rue Jacob (6e) or a room at Hotel Grandes Ecoles which is Located on Rue Cardinal Lemoine near Rue Moffetard(?) in the latin quarter (5e). Although you may not know the specific hotels, which is the best area for a first time visitor?
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:05 PM

Yuck, I hated the Danube because of our 'apartment' rooms. I've seen other guests' photos and their rooms (regular doubles) were lots nicer looking. But the location is great if you like being in St. Germain. I wouldn't care for a room at the Grandes Ecoles either unless you like florals which the Danube is good for also. The area around the Grandes Ecoles is good also in my opinion. It's in the Latin Quarter though. Everybody's got a favorite area. I now prefer the Ile St. Louis (4th district).
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:26 PM

I like the Latin Quarter. It's perhaps a little earthier than 6e (which I also like by the way), and it's more central. (You can easily walk to Ile de la Cite or the Right Bank areas like the Marais and Beaubourg.)
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:41 PM

The two areas are equally central for the first time visitor. I personally prefer St-Germain for the galleries, antique shops and proximity to the Seine, but a case could equally be made for someone who prefers the market street atmosphere of the Mouffetard area. You won't know which you'd prefer until you get there, I imagine.

The one thing to be aware of is that the Mouffetard/Place de la Contrescarpe area is relatively hilly and if anyone in your group has mobility problems it might incline you towards St-Germain.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:53 PM

We found the Mouffetard area to be absolutely fantastic for first time visitors. We gathered a bunch of sisters and nieces for a week there - it felt like home after one day. We left the area each morning on the metro to visit the various sights and neighborhoods, but we just loved being able to grab a quick breakfast, then come back and shop for bread and wine and cheese on the market street...and often we just ate in the small bistros near the Sorbonne. The people were very friendly and helpful, and we heard very little English being spoken.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM

Actually, SF John-the two areas are right next to each other (this part of the 6th, and the 5th arr.) Although St. Germain is in the 6th, this particular area IS the Latin Quarter, btw, as is St. Sulpice, also located in the See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartier_Latin

Of the two locations you've chosen, I prefer the latter, it's very lively, and also charming.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:06 AM
ira

Hi SF,

Good choices.

I would choose on the basis of which hotel I preferred.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:33 PM

I would say Saint Germain des Pres, as it's so centrally located, between the 5th and the 7th, not that far from the Seine, and a short bus ride on the #95 bus to Montparnasse.

Sandy