Reload this Page >

Best Area in London To Stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 03:22 AM
audrey

I want to know the best area in London to saty. I want to be in walking distance to restaurants at least and of course the tube, and not far from sites. Want low cost accomodation also...which is the best area <BR>to stay in wher I can be CENTRAL?

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 08:30 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>The most central area is not cheap: it is the Strand, and includes the Royal Albany Hotel, the Charing Cross Thistle, the Strand Palace, and the very expensive Savoy and Waldorf Meridien. <BR> <BR>The innermost cheap area is south of Victoria station,and the next nearest cheap area is Earls Court. <BR> <BR>Welcome to London <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 08:47 AM
Gina

Audrey, it depends on what you mean by central. As Ben points out, it can be awfully pricey to stay in the *most* central parts of London, but you can be quite conveniently located, near Tube stops and still a bit out of the most expensive of neighborhoods. <BR> <BR>I like staying in Bloomsbury--probably because I was a lit major in college and being close to the old stomping grounds of Virginia Woolf & Co. appeals to me. It's a pleasant area, near Dickens' House and the British Museum, and convenient to four or five different Tube stops depending on what part of Bloomsbury you're in. <BR> <BR>I've stayed at the Arran House on Gower Street several times and really liked it; great value for the money and friendly staff. (http://www.london-hotel.co.uk/). It looks like non-ensuite doubles are running 50 GBP per night (a little over $80 US) and ensuite are 70 GBP per night.

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 07:35 PM
Prue

Ben, Do you have any first hand knowledge of the Thistle Charing Cross Hotel - have been hoping someone has? <BR>With thanks.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 05:21 PM
j

Audrey: <BR> <BR>We stayed in Kensington. We found it to be a nice area, and close to a lot of trendy shops & restaurants. The tube stop was about 4-5 blocks from the hotel. If you're going to London, make sure you stop at Sir John Soane's house...it's a bit off the beaten path, but very neat.