Reload this Page >

Best Amsterdam Hotel

Search

Best Amsterdam Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 09:12 PM
allen

Best Amsterdam Hotel

Does anyone know of any hidden gem hotels in Amsterdamn that is in the heart of town.<BR><BR>Looking for a upscale, unique, cool place, maybe a balcony. Dont want a hotel like a Marriott or any other chain but something that is unique. My budget is $80-$150 per night. Any suggestions?

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 01:52 AM
Sjoerd

US$ 150 is not much for a top-end hotel, but try the Hotel de l'Europe. Many people like that hotel and the location couldn't be better.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 05:46 AM
xxx

There are some &quot;decent&quot; hotels in central Amsterdam for $150 a night, but for &quot;upscale, unique,cool place, maybe a balcony&quot; or any combination of two of the above, you'll need to double your budget!!!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:16 AM
jen

Try the Honeymoon Room at the Clemens Hotel. The hotel is not extremely upscale but a few of the rooms are great.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Grasshopper

Consider the Hotel Jan Luken, in the Museum district. It's a charming botique hotel in a quiet neighborhood but convenient to everything.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:49 AM
BillJ

I was going to whole-heartedly suggest the Hotel Ambassade on Herengrat.<BR>See www.ambassade-hotel.nl<BR>With great views of the canal and charming breakfast room (good breakfast, too).<BR>But . . . showing Euro 180 as lowest price for 2.<BR>Stayed there in April '01. Loved it. Has been written up in Traveler Magazine, and well regarded by most visiters.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 01:52 AM
HKTraveler

I would wholeheartedly second BillJ's recommendation of the Ambassade. Spent 3 nights there earlier this year and fell in love with the hotel! The hotel is made up of several canal houses linked together through narrow stairways. Definitely not your typical hotel but the environment is wonderful especially if you get a room overlooking the canal, the location is central and the service is very friendly. Make sure to enjoy the breakfast in the beautiful dining room! You should check out the rant and raves section on this site, there are tons of praise for this hotel and justifiably so! I recommended it to one of my colleague and he has a great experience there as well.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Lisa

Well, I'll join in on the praise for the Ambassade. Ditto everything that's been said....one of our favorites in Europe. Try to get a room on the top floor for the unusual ceiling configurations and charm. Breakfast is in one of the most wonderful rooms you'll find. <BR><BR>This may be worth stretching the budget for. Have a wonderful time!<BR><BR>Lisa

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:30 AM
lisa

Another vote for the Ambassade! Another reasonable option in a great location is the hotel inntel. Not as romantic or quaint but a great location.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Patrick

Yes, Ambassade is a very nice hotel, but at 180 euro or above, out of the budget, right allen? And although the breakfast there is in a lovely room, those on a budget may find it hard to cough up 28 euro for two for that breakfast.<BR><BR>Don't mean this to sound too negative. Ambassade is my favorite hotel in Amsterdam. I've stayed there three times and would stay again, but it doesn't sound like it is what allen is looking for unless he's willing or able to increase the budget.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 02:07 PM
john

<BR>Allen,<BR><BR>It is hard to find a balcony in all of Holland, hotel or private home. It rains and rains.<BR><BR>I stayed a few days at the Ambassade about 20 years ago before the price went way up. Our top floor room was a charm and looked out over the Herengracht (&quot;Canal of Gentlemen&quot. You will have to stretch your budget as everybody else has pointed out, but it is worth it if you want an &quot;upscale, unique, cool place.&quot; Go for it if this is your dream trip.<BR><BR>Actually, the Ambassade is not in the heart of town but Amsterdam is not a big city to start with. You will be almost around the corner from Het Spui and Spuistraat with some nice restaurants and cafes not overburdened with tourists as is Leidesplein and Rembrantsplein. If you want to be near those then the Marriott is the heart.<BR><BR>John Bermont

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 02:57 PM
BillF

I like the Canal Crown Hotel, also off the Herengracht canal, Tel: (011-31) (20) 42 00 05 5, Fax: (011-31) (20) 42 00 99 3. It is centrally located, spotlessly clean, good size rooms with great beds and modern bathrooms. It provided one of the best hotel breakfasts I've ever had in Europe.<BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I don't know about &quot;hidden gem&quot;, but here are my notes on one that we found very good:<BR><BR>Sofitel Amsterdam <BR>67 Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal, Amsterdam Telephone: +31(0)20 627 59 00 <BR><BR>Located just a couple of blocks off Dam Square and an easy enough walk from Central Station, the Sofitel Amsterdam comprises three historic buildings that have been very nicely re-refurbished into a very comfortable hotel of 148 rooms. The guest rooms are decently-sized and nicely appointed. The breakfast buffet served from 6 a.m. until 10 a.m. daily is well worth taking in. Cocktails are available on premises at the Duke of Windsor lounge and there is also a limited lunch menu. <BR>We found the staff at the Sofitel to be very friendly and attentive. (We offer the rate information here advisedly. The rack rate can range up to $289 Euros per night and higher. We suggest either calling the hotel directly and trying for something in the $160/range, looking for this property on various discount online hotel booking sites, or working with a package and/or a travel agent.) <BR><BR>Location-wise, the hotel is situated in a very active area of Amsterdam that is filled with shopping, restaurants, coffee shops, museums, internet cafes, pubs, clubs and boutiques. You are also at the hub of the city's public transportation network and while I would consider the neighborbood to be relatively safe, it's a very short walk into the Red Light District, (for better or worse).<BR><BR>Bottom line: If you have a chance to stay at the Sofitel Amsterdam at a rate that won't break the bank, then I highly recommend it. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 04:04 PM
xxx

Wouldn't it be nice if Allen were to come back here to comment on our answers? Or did he just post here to let us amuse each other with our answers?

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:06 PM
kathy

Canal House, search for website, but its in Fodors with an*. We stayed there in 1999 cost about 130.00 USD inc wonderful cont bkfast, but with every thing chees/meat rolls breads pastries cereal etc. Room was very nice and romantic, quiet, antiques, canopy bed. Near Ann Frank House and some good restaraunts.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Sjoerd

John, that's nonsense about finding a balcony in the Netherlands. Almost ALL apartments have balconies, the exceptions being the apartments in centers of the large cities. And statistically, it only rains on 1/3 of all days, so 200+ days per year are rain free.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Sharon

I second the vote for the Sofitel. I stayed there on my trip (end of November.) Staff is professional, location is great, &amp; I never had a problem.