Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best airport hotel Barcelona for 7am flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know of a decent airport hotel at BCN that has a nice room, free airport transportation and free breakfast? We have a 7am flight, so we need to be there at least by 6am. I'd like to stay as close to the airport as possible. Promimity and free transport to the airport more important than price.

Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM

I really liked the Tryp, but I doubt they will serve breakfast that early. Most hotels don't. Free shuttle to the airport, and I got an excellent rate booking thru a mega-website.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Maybe the bigger hotels will serve breakfast earlier? The Hilton Rome Airport opens their buffet at 5:30am, we usually walk over to the airport and check in then go back for the buffet. Gotta get you're money's worth!LOL
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM

at 5-5.15 in the morning, the traffic from barcelona is no issue.. perhaps 15 minutes in a taxi.

one hour + before your flight is cutting it too short. many check-ins close 40 minutes before, depending on the company. even if you are in line.. if you are not at a computer by then,you are out of luck.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:24 PM

The distance between Barcelona and the airport is short. At that time of the morning it will probably take around 15 mins. There is really no need to stay by the airport.

I don't think you'll find any hotel doing breakfast anytime before 6.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:29 PM

But I stayed at the Tryp for about 99 euros, and took the free shuttle, which would be hard to beat for a central hotel plus a taxi, yes?

I was coming in from the Costa Brava, so I had no interest in staying the night in the city, so perhaps that makes a difference.

If I were already staying in a hotel in Barcelona, I wouldn't switch to an airport hotel. But if I were just passing through, I'd stay at the Tryp again.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

>>I was coming in from the Costa Brava, so I had no interest in staying the night in the city<<

Uh oh, is that meaning that the city is not interesting enough to stop in? I booked 8 days there and wondered if that was too long.

I prefer an airport hotel because I don't want to deal with a taxi even if it is a 15 minute drive. For an early morning flight, I prefer to stay at the airport or within one mile. I just can't deal with that added element of stress on the morning of a transatlantic flight! We also have to make a connection at CDG, which everyone says is a total nightmare, and we only have 50 minutes to do it, so I know that day will be tremendously stressful to begin with. Hopefully it's really true that Air France has personal connection assitance to speed through passengers with less than 45 mintues to make a connecting flight. Hopefully.

Looks like there's a Renaissance hotel physically on the airport grounds. I'll have to see if they can meet my breakfast criteria :0)
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM

I'd already been to Barcelona, and personally I don't care to spend a lot of time there. Other people enjoy it immensely.

You should be aware that airport shuttles can be more stressful than taking a taxi. They make a milkrun around to all the other hotels and terminals. (That was my experience in Barcelona.) Early in the morning, they sometimes run late. The hotel staff has no control over them.

If you are staying in a good hotel in Barcelona, they most likely have a regular relationship with a good taxi service.

The airport really is just a stone's throw from central Barcelona.

I also imagine if you've been staying in the same hotel every night for 8 nights, somebody might make you a cup of coffee, or you can put some breakfast in your mini-bar.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:43 PM

PS, if you find Barcelona is not your cuppa, you can easily take day trips in all directions, using public transportation. I particularly like Girona, Vic and some of the Costa Brava. Take a guide to Catalonia, not just Barcelona, with you.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Zeppole, Thanks so much I'll do that! That was our original intention, to take the apartment in town for 8 days knowing we'd spend some nights away on side trips. I'm a huge fan of Frommer's Day by Day series that came out last year (yikes can I say that on this forum?) They have great neighborhood walks and reasonable day trips as well. We've never been to Barcelona and I think it was good that we've chosen an apartment far from the craziness in a residential area of Eixample. Do you speak spanish or catalan? Were you able to get along without it? I speak Italian but that didn't help me in Paris so I can imagine it wouldn't help me in Barcelona!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Your Italian will probably help you more in Barcelona. (Even French won't help you in France with the French.) Although you may not find fluent Italian speakers, you'll quickly figure out enough common ground to communicate. Italians -- even those who don't speak Spanish -- are very fond of going to Spain, and vice versa.

But many Catalans are tri-lingual and quadri-lingual. And although it looks odd at first, the language of Catalonia is a romance language and you can get by.

As no doubt you've already read, Catalans do not expect you to know Catalan. Learning the most basic courtesies is a show of good faith. If you tell them you speak some Italian, they might make the effort in return.

I, too, would prefer a residential neighborhood in Barcelona.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

I settled on the Marriott Renaissance Airport Hotel in Barcelona for our last night. Looks like they have a free airport shuttle for the next day that starts at 5am, which is adequate since we need to arrive at about 5:30am. Another deciding factor was that they have a shuttle to and from the hotel to the end of Las Ramblas. So we can check out of our apartment and check into the hotel then hop on the shuttle to go get dinner before turning in early. I will post when I return as to the quality, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of good info on Barcelona airport hotels.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 09:17 AM

"We've never been to Barcelona and I think it was good that we've chosen an apartment far from the craziness in a residential area of Eixample. Do you speak spanish or catalan? Were you able to get along without it? I speak Italian but that didn't help me in Paris so I can imagine it wouldn't help me in Barcelona!"

We just got back from our second trip to Barcelona - 8 days last year, six this time ( also stayed in Eixample).
Needles to say we love the city. We only went on one day trip - to Girona - which is easy to get to:
little over an hour by train, return ticket about 12 euros.

There is sooo much to do and see in Barcelona - don' worry.
I speak passable Spanish , but most people in the " tourist industry" know some English.
Menus are available in English everywhere.
I was looking for a restaurant in Girona, the person I asked for help not only explained the directions in English - he took the time to draw a map. Spanish people are wonderful!
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 01:26 AM

there is not a lot of good info on barcleona airport hotels because literally there are only a couple which could be classified as true airport hotels. the city is so close that most would not bother.