Best airline to use between Prague & Budapest - I have heavy piece of luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best airline to use between Prague & Budapest - I have heavy piece of luggage and wanted for convenience, so wanted to fly.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 11:31 AM

Two airlines have direct flights: Ryanair and CSA(Cezch Airlines), Czech Airlines is the better one.

If you're looking for convenience I recommend taking a train. The flight itself may take little more than 1 hour, but once you include the transport to the airport, the 2-hour check-in, the airport hassle and than repeat it again after arriving it'll be more like 4 hours, with 3 hours of stress and waiting and only 1 hour of a relaxing flight.

The train takes 6 hours 30 minutes, but it's city centre to city centre, no hassle with check-in, waiting for you luggage, security checks, etc. it's just a slow relaxing journey, enjoying the excellent dining car(Czech dining cars are voted the best in Europe) and the trains ticket is only a fraction of the airfare with no baggage fee, not to mention train travel is much more sustainable than flying.

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-ro...t-by-train.htm

Last edited by BDKR; Oct 11th, 2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 01:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, but, how is schleppjng heavy luggage up and down narrow and steep train steps? I've found it to be a real pita as a single woman. And, steps onto/off of platforms if necessary?

I'd rather fly. But, that's just me.

Last edited by joannyc; Oct 11th, 2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 02:34 PM

"Yes, but, how is schleppjng heavy luggage up and down narrow and steep train steps?"

Not worse than schlepping heavy luggage anywhere else including airports. The question is why would you travel with heavy luggage at all if you don't have to?

"I've found it to be a real pita as a single woman."

Have you tried asking a fellow passanger for assistance? I travel a lot by train and helped many times ladies struggling with heavy luggage. I certainly wouldn't refuse if someone asked me.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 02:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This was a very simple question. And it's about flying.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 03:54 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by suze
This was a very simple question. And it's about flying.
It's also about convenience & I agree with BDKR that trains can be the more convenient option. I don't know of a rule here that says we cannot provide an alternate suggestion if there's another solution.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by BDKR
"Yes, but, how is schleppjng heavy luggage up and down narrow and steep train steps?"

Not worse than schlepping heavy luggage anywhere else including airports. The question is why would you travel with heavy luggage at all if you don't have to?

"I've found it to be a real pita as a single woman."

Have you tried asking a fellow passanger for assistance? I travel a lot by train and helped many times ladies struggling with heavy luggage. I certainly wouldn't refuse if someone asked me.
In an airport, I am rolling my luggage. Not schlepping it up and down steps.

What do you consider heavy luggage? It's s lot more crap for a woman than a man! I am currently on a 7 week trip and my luggage weighed 44 lbs when I left. I think most of it is a few pairs of shoes and cosmetic/hygene items. I think I have 7 pairs of pants and 7 tops with 1 jacket and 1 outside jacket. And, yes, I do buy things on the road as needed. But, whatever, I am not going to travel with less just to make it lighter.

I will transport myself as fits my travel style.

To each, his own!

And, no, I would not ask a stranger on a train to help me schlep my luggage either on or off the train. One reason I don't travel by trains.

Last edited by joannyc; Oct 11th, 2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 09:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joannyc
. . . And, no, I would not ask a stranger on a train to help me schlep my luggage either on or off the train. One reason I don't travel by trains.
I've never asked, can handle my bag myself, in my 70's, but someone always steps up just to be kind. And I appreciate it even though I'd have managed on my own. I love trains.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 10:59 PM

You're not telling us WHEN are you going to travel(flying is only one option) between Prague and Budapest, but starting from the 30th March LOT Polish Airlines is going to serve the route with direct flights as well.

CSA and LOT are both better than Ryanair, but I have no idea if CSA or LOT is the better one. In such a short haul flight probably not much difference, so I'd compare schedules, fares(including baggage allowance), aircraft type,

I think it is always nice to travel with the national airline of a country especially on your inbound flight.

That said I'm pretty sure you won't regret taking the train. It doesn't take much more time than flying if you add up everything and it's a much more relaxing and civilised way to travel, more of an experience(I guess you fly way more times than travel by train) and helps to keep your carbon footprint lower. Travelling with heavy luggage(if you have to) it's not something that you can't manage regardless of transport type. If you need help don't be shy to ask for it.

I see from your other topic that you're going have a trip to Budapest, Vienna and Prague. You could easily save the Prague-Budapest flight(or train), by booking an open-jaw ticket arriving to PRG and leaving from BUD or vice versa and travel by train between Prague - Vienna(4 hours) and Budapest-Vienna(2h30).

"And, no, I would not ask a stranger on a train to help me schlep my luggage either on or off the train. One reason I don't travel by trains."

I don't know your other reasons, but it's a pity that you never take trains(Have you ever tried?), you're missing out on so many great experiences. Think again, at least give it a try once!

https://www.seat61.com/Railpass-and-...plore%20Europe

Last edited by BDKR; Oct 11th, 2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 01:08 AM

I would also suggest the train.

And I agree 100% with MmePerdu about train travel and luggage. I don't normally go around asking people to help with my luggage, but I'd say 100% of the time that I'm getting myself prepared to haul a bag up or down staircase in a train station in Europe, someone (or several people) comes along and either whisks it out of my hands or asks if I'd like help. I often say no thanks, as I do tend to travel very light, but there have been times when I was on crutches or in a brace and was very grateful. It's not some sort of badge of honor to turn down this sort of help. But of course if you don't travel by train you wouldn't be familiar with the practice (all over Europe IME).
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 06:22 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
For next May, a flight on CSA takes an hour and costs €35. The same day, the train takes 6 1/2 hours and costs €22. One can hire porters at the airports.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 08:08 AM

The flight itself takes an hour, but that's only part of it. Add 2h check-in, half an hour to an hour travelling way out of town to the airport, another hour for travel into the city at the other end = 4 or 5 hours of bus, airport, flights, airport, bus. You will have to lug your bags on and off two buses and one plane.

The train ride is relaxed, civilised, city centre to city centre, with fares from only €21 at Czech Railways www.c d.cz - you print your own ticket. 1st class starts at €35.

The 'Metropolitan' EuroCity trains even have a restaurant car with a chef freshly cooking meals, waiter-served with beer or wine!

As importantly, the train is PART of your trip experience, PART of visiting Europe, unlike a globalised plane, which is stress. Plus train has a fraction of the CO2 emissions, flying is now a no-no on routes like this where it's so easily avoided. Nobody flies this route if they can avoid it, flying is more trouble than it's worth.

See https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-ro...t-by-train.htm for times, fares, photos, tips.

Last edited by Man_in_seat_61; Oct 12th, 2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 08:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Candace [please don't take offence] why is your luggage so heavy? IME you really only need the same clothes for one week. Especially if you are travelling around, there is no-one to see that you are wearing the same 2 pairs of trousers and 3 shirts day after day, and you really only need 2 pairs of shoes. As for laundry you'll save far more by taking the train than a few bits of laundry will cost you. And train travel is so much more fun, especially alone as people talk a lot more than they do on planes.

If you go for the air option,if you have a choice I would take one that is late in the morning, Then you can get up at a reasonable time, have breakfast, and go to the airport - no "lost" time trying to work out what you can do before you have to go to the airport etc. And don't forget to factor in the cost of getting to the airport which you probably won't have if you are going to get the train.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 08:51 AM

Yes, I have taken trains in Europe. That is how I know it is not for me. I wouldn't comment on something I had no experience with! I have only had one woman offer to carry my briefcase off a train. No other offers from anyone.

i did travel through Japan for 9 weeks using the trains on weekends. But, I was only carrying a light weekend bag. My briefcase and heavy luggage was left behind in my "home" hotel.

i prefer to drive a rental car for the convenience and the ability to go places that public transportation doesn't accommodate. I have also taken buses which I like when it is convenient for me.

As I said earlier, to each his own!
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 09:51 AM
kja

I love trains. I can't say the same about flights! But if I had a very heavy suitcase -- and I can imagine many legitimate reasons for having one, none of which strike me as our business, I'd seriously consider the flight. We don't know Candace54's travel experience (nor should we have to, IMO); we only know her question. It seems to me some wonderful Fodorites have addressed her question, providing information about the available flights and pointing to the various considerations of "convenience." FWIW (very little, I'm sure), I think we can trust that Candace54 can make her own decision about what suits her needs best. JMO.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 10:22 AM

It's certainly up to Candace, but I would add that it has also been my experience that there are plenty of gentlemen left in the world. I have often had one just pick up my luggage to get it on the train or up a flight of stairs without me ever asking for help.