Best 4 Star Hotels in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas for a 4 star hotel in Rome that has a great location, good linens, clean and up to date bathroom and a comfortable, upscale feeling about it? Is there such a thing? Just wondering. Thanks.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:39 PM

We recently returned from the Hotel Pantheon, a 4-star dating from the 7th century which is around the corner from the Pantheon. I highly recommend it. The location puts you within walking distance of: The Trevi Fountain, the Colosseum, Piazza Navona, and of course, obviously, the Pantheon.

We had the Diamante Suite, a small duplex which can easily accomodate five people. The beds were excellent, the marble bathroom immaculate with every amenity. The only drawback was the so-so air conditioning, but with the current heat wave across Europe, I assume it's much the same at many hotels in Rome.

A superior double runs about $200.00.

Good luck!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

I believe you are right about the air conditioning in Europe this summer. No way to gauge the efficiency of that with the current heat wave going on. Was the breakfast good there? Noisy? Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:56 PM

I'm confused, Weadles. I looked at Hotel Pantheon on several sites and the lowest price I can find is a "special promotional rate" of 310 euro for a standard double. How did you get a rate of $ 200 for the big suite?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just so it's clear, the number of stars given a hotel does not relate to the quality of the hotel. The number of stars relates to the number of amenities (elevator, restaurant, private bath, parking, A/C, etc.)

You don't need a 4-star hotel to get "a great location, good linens, clean and up-to-date bathrooms and a comfortable, upscale feeling."
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:00 AM

To answer a couple of questions, breakfast was standard fare at Hotel Pantheon, but there was a great coffee place with pastries across the street, so we would supplement with that.

Patrick, no, I didn't get the suite for $200! It cost us just under $520/per night. I was talking about the superior double. I don't know if they were running a special during the week we were there, but the front desk said it cost $200/night.

Also, yes, I totally agree with Jean. Some 3-stars in Europe are probably better than or as good as 4-stars. For instance, from what we saw of the Albergo Del Senato which is just around the corner from Hotel Pantheon, I would have no hesitation in staying there next time. It is cheaper, basically the same location, and has more powerful AC !
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Good afternoon, Weedso
The best four star hotels that we have
used in Rome were the FORUM and the DE LA VILLE, of both prefer the later due to its location at the top of the Spanish Steps. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

I thank you all for helping me to establish a base-line for what to expect in a 4 star hotel in Rome. All information is appreciated and will be very helpful in making my decision on where to stay. I have heard good and bad about the Del Senato. I just want a nice, convenient hotel that feels like a 5 star, but charges like a 4 star.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 05:23 AM

It doesn't exist!

If it "feels" like 5-star, it will surely charge like one. After all, this is Rome, darling. I suggest you come down a notch. It's a little easier to find a 4-star feel for a 3-star price, unless you get lucky with a special promotion.

What the hell does convenience mean???? Pick your neighborhood and then search for your hotel. Rome isn't Florence.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 05:34 AM

Weedso,

I'd like to know what you've heard (good and bad?) about the Del Senato, since it has been widely touted here on the forum, and looked like a great place to stay.

I'd also like to point out that some 5-stars in Rome and other cities aren't worth the bucks. We stayed at the Hotel Eden two years ago, and it was one of the worst hotel experiences we ever had. Our tiny $450/night hotel room ( with corporate discount) and the horrible food were not to be believed.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Maira

While visting Rome last November (stayed at Hotel Genio), I went by Hotel Nazionale and loved the location. The Hotel lobby was very nice as well. I made a mental note this will be the hotel I'll stay next time in Rome.

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

First of all, to NYCFood, you don't know me well enough to call me darling. And we can all see why you represent NYC so well with your glib remarks. I was simply asking for a hotel that was not on the outskirts of town making our touring experience more timely or our food choices more difficult to reach. That is convenience to me. I am sure that you wouldn't understand this due to the fact that in your fabulous town of NY you find EVERYTHING convenient. I would appreciate you leaving your snide remarks at home next time. Thanks to everyone else that has contributed something of value. My remarks concerning the Del Senato were based on the reviews I read while doing a search for this hotel. Read them and they will answer your questions. Some found it not as nice as others.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Weedso,

Please don't judge NYC based on others' condescending comments. I'm from NYC, too, and am more than happy to help when I can.

Hope you have a great trip!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me with some insightful answers as opposed to sarcastic, meaningless comments. Even New Yorkers. I appreciate the fact that there is always one bad egg in the bunch who usually spoils it for all of the others.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:50 PM

WEADSO
Last year we stayed at the Grand Hotel Palace on the Via del Corso...very near the Spanish Steps.
It was old world......beautiful lobby...with many private sitting areas. The breakfast room is Grand!
BUT not all rooms are created equal...we saw three before we settled. The first room was small & very near current construction noise.
After we settled in, our stay was very nice. Not sure of current rate...as we were there in winter & stayed several days....so we had a very good off-season rate.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 02:12 PM

I'm a New Yorker, too, and a long-time Italy fan. I think I get NYCfoodsnob's take on things and I may even know who she is. I think the glibness is an act and, I confess, it makes me chuckle. I sniff some self-serving parody. You may have to live in Manhattan awhile to fully understand and appreciate this. Apart from that, I'm dying to hear what she has to say next. So far, I find her insights and suggestions right on the money. (Keep those url's coming, dear. lol)

Fodors and its forum are very much a part of my reference library. You can always find valuable information here. But, there's also so much self-serving muck one must wade through to get to what you need. It's as if people don't do any research before they come here and then want there hand held through the entire process even before opening a map to their destination. Many threads here are mindless and dreadful and frankly, I find the diatribes useless and inappropriate. I also don't think a first trip makes someone an authority on much even though I see how some facts may be useful to others. I really long to hear from veteran travelers who aren't always in search of the best deal or discount but in search of genuine quality. I'm still waiting for the travel forum that mostly offers smart, up-to-date hard-hitting facts. Maybe foodsnob can start her own travel site. I know I'd read it.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 03:39 PM
tb

We just came back from Rome and stayed at Hotel San Carlo. Even though it is a 3 star hotel but we love it. The price is also very reasonable. We had three quads room for our group and they gave us the best rate no other hotels could offer.
The service was great. Our air conditioning also the best considering the weather of 100 degress for 6 days in a row for the last few weeks.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Just what exactly is your price range?

Stars don't matter ...Euros do!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 05:50 PM

I recently enjoyed a stay at La Residenza in Rome. It was near the Spanish Steps and Via Veneto. The hotel had 3 different sitting areas which were very inviting and comfortable. The desk clerks were very helpful. There was a hearty breakfast buffet, and our room was roomy enough with a huge bathroom. I liked the location and would stay here again.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:18 AM

I just found a five star on expedia that is called Splendide Royal and has rooms for 315 a night...can't seem to find any info on it though. On the Internet, it looks great.