Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

best 3-4 star hotel in Rome for peace and quiet?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the Eternal City is not exactly a "peace and quiet" kind of place, but we'd like to plan a 3-day visit. On the other hand, we'll skip it (which we really hope we don't have to do) if we can't find accommodations where we'll be able to get good sleep. (We're oldsters and aren't great sleepers even in best of conditions.) Need king ("matrimonial") bed and definitely need good soundproofing between rooms and between rooms and outside. I imagine this will be difficult to find in Rome, other than at the most expensive hotels. But would be very grateful for some suggestions about possibilities more in our price range. ($300-400 U.S. per night)

Many thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM

I think your price range should be adequate. I used to stay at the Senato, and I imagine others will recommend it to you, but I finally stopped because I felt the rooms facing the piazza got too much noise from partyers late at night.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM

Keith and I are staying at the St. Regis Grand and the Vatican Spring House whilst in Rome.

Keith's parents stayed at the Empire Palace Hotel a few years ago because they got into a fight with the staff at the Intercontinental over room-service charges and moved to this hotel which is near the Borghese Gardens/Via Veneto.

They said it was a VERY VERY quiet hotel.

I have been to Rome before and street noise is ALWAYS a problem especially with those Vespas whizzing under your window at 3 AM.

Thin
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM

We usually stay at the Del Senato on the top (6th)floor and have not been bothered by noise in the Piazza. However, when we've been there, it's either been very hot so the A/C was on and the windows closed, or cold. If you sleep with the windows open, you may find the noise level more than you can take, especially in rooms on the lower floors. The hotels near the Borghese tend to be quieter. The St. Regis Grand is indeed beautiful but out of your price range. You may want to check into hotels on the Aventine Hill which is a very quiet neighborhood. Be aware that many hotels in Rome push two twin beds together and call that a king.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM

poss...

suggest you try <b>The Modigliani</b>..our favorite. Excellent location, yet on a small, quiet side street (Via Purificazione)..short walks to Spanish Steps, Trevi, a bit longer to Fiori/Navona..lovely small hotel with elevator and buffet breakfast. In your price range. Very genteel, helpful staff. Several other posters frequently recommend it.

http://www.hotelmodigliani.com/

stu t.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM

My parents adored this hotel; it should be in your price range; double room and junior suites from 250 to 280 in summer.

http://www.hotel-la-residenza.com/en...denza/home.asp
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

I very much appreciate the various suggestions. Will be spending the morning reading as many reviews as I can about each of the mentioned hotels. Thank you.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM

Poss,

I can recommend Hotel Dei Mellini www.hotelmellini.com It is considered a 4 stars hotel and it should be within the budget you give.

The hotel is locared on the "other side" of the river (ie same side as the Vatican) and very close to Ponte Cavour. It takes 15 min walking to Piazza di Spagna , Piazza Navona and maybe 20 mins to St Peters

I will be staying there again in a few weeks when I go to Rome. I suggest to book their Deluxe rooms as these are much nicer than their "Superior" (ie Std) rooms and price difference is minimal (around 20 Euros).
I am pretty sure the Deluxe room has a king size bed.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:26 AM

I forgot to mention the hotel is on a side street and it is very quiet (and my room faced the steet).
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Cruiseluv-- hello! I noticed your post about 2010 cruise on the "other" cruise website. The cruise you mention is exactly the one we've recently booked. Actually, this was the year we hoped we would try a Silversea cruise, but no matter how I tried to crunch the numbers, they were still significantly more expensive than good old Regent. There was a b2b on the new Spirit which we badly wanted to do, but just couldn't justify the enormous expense. So we've booked the Istanbul-Civitavecchia, despite the fact that I'm not real excited about some of the ports (I've been doing a bunch of reading). We do like Istanbul very much, and some of the others we've done before and loved, so it should be good. But I suspect that if Silversea ever announces some sort of terrific rates (doubt it), we'll cancel the Regent booking.
I'm also hoping that we will like our first Mariner venture on August 5. We adore Voyager (have been 3 times, in fact the only big ship we've ever been on-- though we're sailors), but I suspect we'll not be quite as much in love with it as with Voyager. (And I'm not looking forward to great numbers of kids on board, though I'm a retired teacher and was passionate about my profession for those very happy 30 years I was at it.)
Anyway, thanks for the Mellini recommendation. I will absolutely zero in on that hotel. Btw, neither of us remembers Rome with special fondness (haven't been there in decades) and that disembarkation is one of the reasons we're less than enthusiastic about that particular itinerary. It seems silly to us to be there and not spend some extra days. Otoh, we really have become old farts (husband 80-- very hale and healthy) and we like to be comfortable and for things to be easy. The hassle of Rome kind of scares us, especially being able to find a really quiet and pleasant hotel.
Thanks again!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM

Poss...I see where The Modigliani is also recommended by Karen Brown...

http://www.karenbrown.com/Hotel_Guid...liani/1837.php

For what it's worth, I'm your husband's age...also hale and healthy..and I do not consider the term "old fart" applicable in any way...to him, to you, or to me...or to my wife (a young 72)...LOL

stu t.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:35 AM

Hi Poss,

What a nice coincidence! I had given up finding somebody that was on the same cruise.

That's funny that you don't care for Rome as it is my favorite city in the world! (so far). As I mentioned above, my husband and I will be going to Italy in a few weeks, a land trip this time. But I think he is cruise withdrawal so he was the one that suggested this itinerary, mainly due to the ports in Turkey.

I'll post in the other boards about our cruise plans. Would love to continue our conversation there.

Regarding the Mellini, I'll let you know if I still like it after we come back ( I was there in 2004).

Another tip regarding the Mellini: we booked it through a booking agency in Rome that offers a much better rate than the hotel website : www.reservationitaly.com

Hope to see you in the other board!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM

On a previous visit to Rome, we stayed at a hotel that, while a 3*, is probably lower in quality/price than you're looking for - Residenza Canali ai Coronari (we'll also be staying there when we visit Rome in the fall). It's about two blocks (or less) from Piazza Navona, but on a very quiet street full of antique shops, via dei Coronari. There are quiet areas in Rome!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. As soon as I get a bit out from under, I'm looking forward to tracing down these new leads. I'd forgotten all about the Karen Brown books, though I used them years ago in Spain. Will check all 3 of the new suggestions.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Another vote for Residenza Canali, where we stayed on our most recent trip to Rome (October 2008). We have been to Rome at least 6 times, and have stayed in many different places. This was not the most expensive place we've stayed in, but was definitely our favorite (so far!) Very quiet (and a very comfortable bed), very refined, yet unpretentious.

And the location is just perfect...within 5 minutes walk, you can be at the Parthenon or the Piazza Navona, We walk everywhere when we stay in Rome, and found the RC to be particularly well-situated.

If you can get the topmost terrace room (as we did), you'll wish you could stay forever (we actually did extend the length of our stay because of the room!)

The management is also lovely and they speak perfect English. Stefano, especially, is a gem -- an extremely intelligent, highly-educated, sophisticated and cool guy!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 08:55 PM

We stayed at the 4 star Alimandi which was very quiet (although we had the windows closed and A/C on,) had very comfortable beds and a wonderful breakfast. It is considered out of the way by some but we like it's location across from the Vatican museum entrance.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 06:04 AM

Hello Poss:

Here is what we said to Thin about our experience with Hotel Nazionale on Piazza Montecitorio:

>The proximity of the Chamber of Deputies makes security rather tight around the area so the noise level from the piazza is negligible at night. The hotel is listed as a four star (not sure about current room rates) and we were very satisfied during our four night stay with the room (junior suite with large bath), the staff, and breakfast. We did not take an evening meal there so I can't comment.<

Good luck. Gradyghost
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Had a chance to check reviews of Canali. A number of reviews mentioned that noise from street was quite loud, that even though it was supposed to be a pedestrian street, there were for sure vespas, trucks, etc (and loud seagulls??) also mentioned that there was no elevator. At our age, hauling up many flights of stairs to top floor might be problem. Place does sound quite nice in other ways though. and locations sounds great. I appreciate input.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 07:37 AM

DH and I loved Raphael just off Piazza Navona. Do ask for a quiet room. They have a roof-top bar/restaurant and is literally steps to Navona and an easy walk to flower market.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Hmmmm...interesting...we are <i>very</i> light sleepers, and did not find the Canali at all noisy -- quite the contrary.

But yes: there is no elevator and you do have to climb stairs, so if that's not your cuppa tea, I wouldn't recommend the place. (We are no spring chickens either, but we like having to climb stairs, because it allows us to have more gelato!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -