Best 2 day tour in Ireland help!

Feb 24th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Best 2 day tour in Ireland help!

Hi all, I have booked a 4 night stay in Ireland and thinking of spending the first 2 nights and then go on a 2 day rail and bus tour. The problem is I don't know which one has the best scenery and is more beautiful. Could you please help me choose?

I am posting both tours:

TOUR 1 - The West Coast Explorer (including Galway Bay):

Check in Dublin Heuston station (Customer Service Desk) 07:00 fordeparture of InterCity train to Limerick (breakfast available). We join our coach here for a short tour of Limerick City and then to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park (admission included). On to the village of Doolin for O'Connors Pub. Next we visit the stunning Cliffs of Moher, Black Head, the Burren and Galway Bay overnighting in the heart of Galway City (3 star hotel accommodation - bed and full Irish breakfast)

Day 2 (see DH04)
10:00am we head into magnificent Connemara where John Ford filmed "The Quiet Man" in 1951, taking in Clifden, Kylemore Abbey (reduced admission rate applies to Abbey itself), Leenane and Killary Harbour or Roundstone, the Coral Beach and the Sky Road. See lots of breathtaking wild Atlantic coastline. We return to Galway for our return InterCity train to Dublin Heuston arriving at 20.55.

TOUR 2- Cork, Blarney Castle, The Queenstown Story, Killarney and The Ring of Kerry :

ITINERARY
Day 1
Check in Dublin Heuston Station( Customer Service Desk) for 7.00 departure of Intercity train ( breakfast available ) to Cork. We transfer to Blarney Castle and kiss the Blarney Stone. After time for lunch and shopping we have a short city tour of Cork and then visit Cobh Heritage Centre home of the "Queenstown Story". We travel back to Cork station for train to Killarney where we are transferred to our comfortable Bed and Breakfast accommodation (with en-suite facilities). Evening free.

ITINERARY
Day 2
10.00am we embark on the famous Ring of Kerry tour which is a largely coastal drive around the Iveragh Peninsula, on one side of which is Dingle Bay. Lots of stunning mountain and coastal scenery including the famous Lakes of Killarney.

Return train to Dublin departs Killarney 17.50 and arrives Dublin Heuston 21.30.

Thanks in advance for any help

TERESA

Feb 24th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

I meant I was spending the first 2 days in Dublin and forgot to post it. Also I am travelling alone , that's why I am thinking of going on a tour. Thanks
Feb 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

topping
Feb 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

No help here???
Feb 26th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.....!!!! Posted this 2 days ago and topped it 3 times!!! Should have posted a question on how to dress in Paris or Rome or a qustion on what was the best thing you bought somewhere. Woull get very helpful replies for sure!!!
Feb 26th, 2007, 03:37 AM

Tere-
You need repost your question and put Ireland in the topic box, otherwise it is getting "lost" in the general Europe forum. (I could not find it within the first 50 messages on the Ireland topic boards and only when I clicked on your name could I find this)- thus, no one has seen it and that is why you have not received any responses.

What time of year are you going? That and maybe a small blurb about you? (ie: in my thirties and love to see things more off the beaten path) this would help with opinions too.

Your question for me is tough as they are my two favorite areas! If forced, I would pick #2, although with a little more time on the boards (if you have it) you could look into a coupla alternatives.

tossing in another idea:
It is an easy train ride from Dublin to Galway, the train lets off and there is a row of B&B's within walking distance. The Galway TI is right there and you could set up all kinds of tours and still get back.

Early AM Dublin to Galway on train, arrive Galway, tour to Inis Mor and Dun Aengus and brought back to Galway and on to B&B, dinner and pub.

Next morning hop on Connemara tour all day, off tour, grab a bite and back on train to Dublin.

Galway really offers alot of different tours and they have an amazing TI
http://www.irelandwest.ie/individual....asp?sID=48303

Good luck-
Dawn

Feb 26th, 2007, 03:49 AM
lawchick

They are both pretty crappy IMHO.

The second day of both is ok but the first day is a bit iffy.

If pressed, I would choose the first - however I think this is a bit hectic for a four night stay where you seem to be "based" in Dublin.

What I would suggest is that you stay in Dublin and take a day trip to Wicklow or somewhere within an hour or two of this city.

Feb 26th, 2007, 04:35 AM

The rail tours are 'one size fits all' and quality will depend on how crowded they are. The two you suggest will have you on a train or big bus practically all day long.

A couple of options:

Train to Killarney and stay two nights. Day trips available for Gap of Dunloe, Ring of Kerry and Dingle.

www.derostours.com

Train to Galway and stay two nights. Daytrip tours to Aran Islands and Connemarra available.

www.aranislandferries.com

www.irelandwesttours.com/

Other options:

www.paddywagontours.com

www.newgrangetours.com/

http://www.irelandexpert.com/dublin-...ountryside.htm

Bob
Feb 26th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Finally I got some replies, thanks so much to you all

In the meantime I realized it was too much to do it in 2 days and I am thinking of doing one of these 1 day tours with the same company:

Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle & Galway Bay :

ITINERARY
Check in Dublin Heuston station (Customer Service Desk) 07.00 for depature of InterCity train to Cork (breakfast available). We join our coach at Limerick, have a short tour of the treaty city and setting for "Angela's Ashes". We head north to Bunratty Castle and Folk Village (admission included), then to a Doolin Pub for our lunch stop and on to the majestic Cliffs of Moher on the wild Atlantic coast. We enter the unique lunar landscape of the Burren, rounding Black Head before heading along the shores of Galway Bay to Galway the city of the tribes where we join our Dublin bound train (light meals available) arriving in Heuston at 20.55. The drive from the Cliffs of Moher to Galway city is regarded by the AA Automobile Association as one of the top 10 coastal drives in Europe.

or

Connemara and Galway Bay :

ITINERARY
Check in Dublin Heuston Station( Customer Service Desk) for 7.10 departure of Intercity train to Galway.( Breakfast available Mon-Fri ) On arrival in Galway we transfer to our waiting coach and strike out into the magnificent scenery of this region known as Connemara. We experience the lovely village of Leenane at the head of Killary Harbour Ireland's only fjord. Our lunch stop is at the world famous Kylemore Abbey*Visitor Centre after which we travel through Clifden(capital of Connemara). See the Twelve Bens mountain range. Plenty of shopping and photo opportunities en route. We continue on along the shores of Galway Bay and arrive in Galway for our return Intercity train to Dublin Heuston station arriving at 20.50 ( 8.50pm). Light meals and full bar available.

or

The Ring of Kerry :

ITINERARY
Check in Dublin Heuston station (Customer Service Desk) 07.00 for InterCity train to Mallow County Cork (breakfast available). Here we transfer to Killarney and thence our tour of the Ring of Kerry.

We have a wonderful day viewing some of Irelandís most spectacular scenery, including Dingle Bay. We also see the Macgillicuddy Reeks, Ireland's highest mountain Carrantuohill, Moll's Gap, Ladies View and the world famous Lakes of Killarney. We return to Killarney for train departure to Mallow, where we join our Dublin bound express (light meals available). Arrival in Heuston is at 21:15.

What do you think of them ? And which one should I take?

Bob- Thank you for the sites you suggested. I am also going to check them.

Thanks in advance

Teresa

Feb 26th, 2007, 05:40 AM

If I had to chose one of those, I think it would be the Connemara trip, personally. Having seen ALL of the sites listed on each, I believe that (dependant on time of year and weather), the Connemara route offers more scenic 'BANG' for the Buck (or time alotted, at least).
But, it REALLy depends on your interest (AND the weather and time of year). Are you a 'passive' tourist, content to look out the window and see the sites pass by? Or, are you more interested in walking around, seeing, touching and interacting?
If you are the latter, do the Bunratty/Burren trip.
Bob
Feb 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Bob!