Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Besa in Stuttgart in December - a good choice for wine lovers?

Apr 20th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Germany and Austria for 2 weeks late November and early December and have two nights unplanned at the middle of our trip. I have been looking for an option near to Nuremberg and easily accessible via public transport and Stuttgart keeps popping up.

We love wine and I have read that this the large wine growing region in Germany. Would the wineries be open for tastings this time of year? Could we get to them without a car?

While I know this is a major industrial hub, it also appears that the city has lots of parks. Are there certain areas more charming to stay in than others. Is there a pedestrian zone?

I have read about Besa's or wine inns. Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks for any insight.
Apr 20th, 2010, 06:26 AM
hsv

1. What is a Besa?
2. Since when has Stuttgart been located near Nuremberg?
Apr 20th, 2010, 06:49 AM

1. Besen - these are temporary pubs, which open for a short time/a few weekends, usually when the new wine is there.
2. Good question. Stuttgart is not exactly near Nürnberg.
Stuttgart charming? I have been several times but am still looking for any traces of charm. (I know there are certain locals who praise their city as greatest place on earth, but that should be taken with a grain of salt.) There are some nice old towns nearby, but Stuttgart itself is a rather faceless post-war city with a few rebuilt monuments. Königsplatz and Altes Schloss are quite nice, but that's about it.
If you want a place near Nürnberg, I'd rather opt for Würzburg, or, even better, one of the small towns in the Main valley.
Apr 20th, 2010, 06:50 AM

Stuttgart IS a wine growing region, but rather small and not very distinguished (the reds are terrible). Do not expect walking through picturesque villages with dozens of wineries. Here a few addresses:

http://www.fellbacher-weine.de/
http://www.weingut-aldinger.de/
http://www.zaiss.com/

If you look for a more distinguished wine growing region which is closer to Nürnberg, I recommend Franken. There you find distinguished wines (mineralic whites, especially excellent Silvaners and pretty good reds, especially Domina), picturesque villages with wineries, good food, historic buildings and beautiful churches with wood-cut altars (Riemenschneider). Iphofen might be a start. Here is a good hotel/restaurant/winery:

www.zehntkeller.de
Apr 20th, 2010, 08:15 AM
hsv

1. Ah. Have heard about it, could not make sense of the "a".

2. I agree a) with quokka on the obscure charm of Stuttgart and b) with quokka and Echnaton with regards to rather focus activity on Franconia for wine exposure close to Nuremberg and especially the region around Wuerzburg.
If staying in Wuerzburg, no car will be needed to visit -among others - the excellent wineries of Julius Spital and Heilig Geist Spital.
Alternatively, Volkach could also be an option. Reasonably good local food and their own wines poured at "Die Schwane".
http://www.schwane.de/
Should you go to Iphofen, as Echnaton wisely suggested, make sure to try Hans Wirsching's award winning whites. Find the opening times below:
http://www.wirsching.de/probieren_un...weinprobe.html
Apr 20th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Wirsching has the best wines of Iphofen. Zehntkeller ranks second. But Zehntkeller has the better food. Conclusion: Try wines at several wineries (there is also a cooperative tasting room in the center of town) with Wirsching as the last one (the best should always come last) and have dinner at the Zehntkeller.

Alternatively, you can stay in Würzburg. Juliusspital and Heilig-Geist-Spital have excellent wines. There are more picturesque towns in the Main valley near Würzburg. Some of them are accessible by train (e.g. Iphofen).
Apr 20th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

hsv, Stuttgart is 2 hours by train from Nuremberg so that is "close" for our purposes.

We are already staying in Wurzburg so will check out the recommendations above.

I appreciate the descriptions of Stuttgart above and it does appear that it is not what we are seeking.

Thank you.
Apr 20th, 2010, 04:00 PM

I am a big fan of Stuttgart, having lived there for 2.5 years, and the Besens (short for Besenwirtschaft) are marvelous, but I would not recommend Stuttgart as a tourist base for a wine-focused trip. I think you are much better off looking at Franconia as suggested above, or perhaps the Mosel Valley (which, I would think, is the largest wine-growing region in Germany).

@Echnaton - what, you don't like Lemberger and Trollinger?? We grew rather fond of them during our stay.