Berthillon competition!

Search

Berthillon competition!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berthillon competition!

Last autumn in Paris we stumbled across a shop in the Latin Quarter that served ice cream /gelato excellent enough to rival Berthillon. Last week we retraced steps to the Rue de Buci location, found a queue of at least 15 waiting and learned there are a few locations, inlcuding one on Ile St Louis. Oh, yes, the name is Amorini.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:44 PM

Yes! I stumbled on that place in April. The gelato, which is made right there on the premises, is as good as any I ever had in Italy, and better than some.

I'm not quite sure about the name, though - I think it begins with Amor, but goes on to something a little odder and less Italian sounding.

Anyway, it's fantastic.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Amorino...YUM!

Seamus, did you take your trip with your neice who was graduating? I hope it went well--you're a wonderful uncle. I can't wait for my favourite neice to turn 16 (our trip).

Maureen
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Niece...how odd that I remember the spelling of the gelato joint but not niece...OY.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.amorino.fr/
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it is Amorino - thanks, cigalechanta.
And yes, Maureen, this was the graduation trip. It went swimmingly - we had to fly over on separate flights but were all upgraded to the wonderful BusinessFirst class on Continental. Minivan by Airport Connection was waiting at the airport and showed up as scheduled for the return trip. We reserved online http://hudsonltd2.com/cgi-bin/acp1/res)and got a discount on the return trip.
The apartment (www.paris-vacation-rental.com/neighbor2.html)was perfect for us - modern building in a safe and quiet neighborhood close to two metro stops (Sully Morland and Bastille) providing excellent connections just about everywhere; bakery, brasserie and epicerie within a block or two; good size bathroom, excellent views from the two terraces, even high speed wireless internet connection. We used the very comfortable murphy bed whilst she took the sleeping alcove (a room, really) providing privacy for all. The only downside was no A/C, and as the temps crept up the last couple days it did get stuffy. Wouldn't recommend it in the warmer months but otherwise it's great.
We went with a day-at-a-time approach, made our list of places to go each evening and it worked well. We purchased a weekly pass (Carte Orange) and used a carnet for the few extra days. Took a few bus rides rather than Metro and that was a good way to at least drive by some places we did not have time to stop. The highlight (for her, at least) was finding a shop named Tabala on rue Castex that specializes in selling the clothes and accessories worn in fashion shows, at greatly reduced prices. The Marques Avenue discount outlet in St Denis en Ile was a disappointment.
A good find was a restaurant named 108 at (oddly enough) 108 rue Oberkampf in the currently edgy/hip district. Closest Metro is Parmentier.
The time flew by, and all of us were hoping that we would be bumped off the return flight to get one more day in Paris!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:19 AM
ira

I agree.

Their gelato is as good as the best in Italy.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:30 AM

Seamus,

I'm glad you all had such a great graduation trip. Thanks for the report/tips.

My husband and I always joke at the airport that while most passengers are hoping for a seat upgrade, we're hoping to get bumped.

The closest we've come to this was in Marach when our train was stopped as we entered England because stowaways/assylum seekers were on board. I hoped the train would return to Paris but after much delay we headed on to London. Fortunately, we'll back in Paris in November, ah.

Maureen
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:58 AM

Amorino on St-Louis-en-I'ile. Last August, one evening, too many people queuing, we left. The same night around midnight, we returned since our hotel was a few meters away, they were serving the last customers and closed before our turn. Perhaps we will try again when we will be back at St-Louis this August. We bought one from Bertillon nearby but honestly I don't remember if it was particularly good. Maybe I chose a wrong flavor. I do remember having the impression it was rather expensive for a tiny helping.