Bernina Express or "Regular" train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to northern Italy (Chiavenna and environs) and Zurich in March. I have only one week, and although I know that there's much more to see in this area, I would rather explore these two places in depth. Here's my question: is the Bernina express any more wonderful than the regular train from Como to Zurich? My logistics make the regular train a better choice. I imagine (and seem to have read somewhere) that there is very beautiful scenery on this run-of-the-mill train. But if someone can tell me the Bernina is much better, I'll try to make it work. Any other advice for this trip--things not to miss around Chiavenna, Sondrio, etc.--would be appreciated.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Nothing?? No advice from anyone? Come on, now...
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Oh, you are very impatient. I apologise for doing some cross-country skiing yesterday and NOT responding to your questions ;-) LOL!

The regular trains from Como to Zurich go through the St. Gotthard massif and along the eastern shore of Lake Lucerne - which is scenic too, but the route Tirano - St. Moritz - Chur -Zurich is MUCH more scenic.

However, you have to backtrack through Sondrio to get to Tirano to catch the Bernina Express there. Very long. And getting to Como from Chiavenna is yet more inconvenient.

Why don't you take the Postal bus from Chiavenna to St. Moritz and catch the train from there to Zurich? That's the most convenient route!

And what about doing the Bernina Express on a day trip from Chiavenna? I am quite sure it is doable.

As for more recommendations on Chiavenna, I can only comment on the Bregaglia valley. Soglio is not to miss, and so is a hike (the Panoramica) from Casaccia along the northern side of the valley to Soglio with spectacular views of the mountains across the valley.

I must say, however, that March is not the best time for a visit. You cannot say if paths are still snow covered and the villages in the mountains will be very quiet - many restaurants and hotels closed - except in the skiing areas.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ingo. Very helpful advice. Let me rephrase my question. I'm renting a car at the Milan airport on a Sunday and driving to my hotel in Chiavenna. I need to get to Zurich on the following Thursday. Your advice about the Postal bus is good, but what to do about returning the car? The car is the only reason I was going to Como.

What makes Como so inconvenient?

Can I do Soglio as a day trip from Chiavenna? What do you recommend?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

P.S. I was obviously thinking I should be rid of the car before I head for Zurich--where I don't need one--to save money and also to avoid traffic hassles.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:35 AM

I did not know you will have a car during your stay in Chiavenna. If you have to return the car in Como it makes sense to catch the train from there to Zurich. (indeed, no car needed in Zurich) Did you research if you can return the car in either Chiavenna or Tirano?

Yes, you can do Soglio as a daytrip from Chiavenna. It is only 15 km away. Postal bus runs every two hours from Chiavenna, change in Promontogno. Hm, I just made the connection March and Soglio ... in March Soglio will be deserted. I do not know if restaurants/hotels and the few shops will be open. The village is picturesque, though, and the views are spectacular. I am wondering if it might be better to drive up to Sils in the Engadin and participate in some winter/snow activities.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Ingo, you're terrific. Do you live in this area? I might have to pop in for cocoa! LOL!

Since my last post, have been scouting the net, and was reminded that I've always regretted not seeing the Villa Carlotta when I was at Como. So I'll try to work that in before I return the car. No, no car return in Chiavenna or Tirano.

I think it's a great idea to do the Bernina Express as a day trip (as far as Chur? Or San Moritz? I'm a bit confused about my options.)

I'll definitely do Soglio. I'm more interested in views and such than restaurants and shops. Will get plenty of that elsewhere.

As far as winter activities are concerned, I don't ski, unfortunately. Hiking, antiquing, gardens and architecture are my favorites.

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:42 AM

No, I don't live in the area. I am from Dresden, Germany. But I am a very frequent traveller to Switzerland and the Engadin/St. Moritz area in particular. Have been there so many times that I was able to explore also the neighbouring valleys in depth.

There is a connection from Chiavenna to Tirano by trains:

Chiavenna dep. 9.17
Colico arr. 9.48
Colico dep. 10.39
Sondrio arr. 11.10
Sondrio dep. 11.15
Tirano arr. 11.50

In Tirano you'll have an hour for lunch (there are a couple of pizzerias and restaurants near the railway station) or exploring the old town (5 min. walk) or seeing the basilica (pilgrim church, 10 min. walk the other direction).

Then you can hop on the regional train which runs on the Bernina route to St. Moritz

Tirano dep. 12.49
St. Moritz arr. 15.12

You'll miss the bus to Chiavenna by 4 minutes - too bad, but Swiss buses run in time The next bus to Chiavenna leaves 17.08 and arrives Chiavenna 18.51.

You could spend your time in St. Moritz walking up to the town's centre and maybe having a cappuccino and yummy cake at Hanselmann's café or maybe taking a bus to Sils-Maria (where the next bus to Chiavenna stops too) and walking around this charming village, having a coffee (or hot chocolate) somewhere in a nice cafe or hotel lobby there. (Sils is much more charming than St. Moritz).

So far for now. If you more ideas post here.

Ingo
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

What wonderful information! My partner will be thrilled, as he wants to be able to tell everyone he's going to St. Moritz for Spring Break! He'll be glad to know that we'll actually have a couple of hours there.

Now, when you get a chance, what is the best website for tickets both on the Bernina Express and on the Como-Zurich train? Or should I wait until I get there? Any advice will be welcome, as you are quite the expert.

Was in Dresden about 10 years ago, and liked it very much. Is the Nordsee still operating? I ate many a herring sandwich there. And how's that Frauenkirk coming along?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Hahaha - spring break in St. Moritz ... March is still winter season there! It will be a nice change after seeing the spring flowers around Lake Como in bloom.

You can buy the train tickets at the Chiavenna railway station for the Chiavenna - Tirano - ST. Moritz leg of the day trip (and for Como-Zurich). The ticket for the bus can be purchased either at the railway station in St. Moritz or directly from the bus driver. No problem at all.

Another quick note for Tirano: there are two train stations in this town, both adjacent to each other. One is for the Italian, the other for Swiss trains. Easily to recognise when I was there a few years ago - the Italian was the shabby one

What a nice surprise that you have been to Dresden! Yes, the Nordsee is still operating, moreover, a second one was opened two years ago. And the Frauenkirche is completed and has been dedicated just a few months ago - Oct 30 2005. (still) Long lines to get in for sightseeing, though. I was very fortunate to attend a concert of the New York Philharmonic there in November, which was a true highlight.

Ingo
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Excellent! So there is zero chance the Bernina Express will be sold out by then? That would be a huge tragedy.

Glad to know the two most important institutions of Dresden are up and running! LOL!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:40 AM

The regional train from Tirano to St. Moritz in the schedule I posted above is not an Express train, but runs the same route - same views. And, by the way, March is low season for the Bernina Express ...

You cannot make reservations for regular trains and so it cannot be sold out. I am sure you can choose between a dozen of available seats after entering the train ...
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I'm glad you told me about the train! I'd have been very confused.

All of this is excellent news, and VERY helpful. I may be posting "Looking for Ingo" as my departure date (March 18th) approaches. THANK YOU!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:04 AM

You're welcome! However, no need to address me in the title. Other might also jump in ... and anything in the title referring to this area is enough to catch my eyes ;-)

Wish you a great trip,

Ingo
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Doble_Vergasser

Guy18,

I hope that you have a good trip.

Just so that you know The train ride over the Bernina pass is not 'run of the mill'. I have been told it is one of two only two train routes on the UNESCO World Heritage List (the other being the Dargeeling narrow guage ride in India.) The Bernina is a photographer idea of heaven. At points it is higher up than the ski resorts along its path. (well above the tree line at times).

When we went we made reservations from/in the U.S. It was not possible to get tickets in the U.S. but it is possible to get a reservation.

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Doble. By "run-of-the-mill" I was referring to the regular train from Como to Zurich, not the Bernina which I've heard is spectacular. I must not have been clear.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Doble_Vergasser

Not a problem at all.
I not been to Europe as much as many posters here, but I have ridden the Bernina (Twice actually. once up and then back the next day ).

This may not affect you but passenger trains go up and down the Bernina Pass almost hourly. The Bernina Express has special panoramic windows (and will not allow you to get off at one or two small stations). My point is that there are hourly trains going over the same train track as the Express, thay are maybe 'just as good' and one of those just might be better for your schedule.

I would have liked to have had an open car for photos, but there were none.

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for telling me this. Ingo already informed me, and it's very valuable information. I don't really care how big my window is. I would rather have a flexible time-table.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Hi everyone, I saw the words "Bernina" and "photographer's paradise" in this thread and just had to ask a question. First time to Switzerland.

We're taking the first morning train from Venice to Tirano just so that we can get on the Bernina. We want to take the local trains so that we can stop to take photographs of the trains passing over some high bridges, like the ones in their advertisements hopefully! What is a good town to stop at and any suggestions of how to time this properly so that we don't arrive too late at Chur? We need to spend the night in Lucerne. Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Doble_Vergasser

It seems like getting in a good position would be tough. Maybe if you looked (on a detail map) at where the road is near the train tracks (and it often is) then that would show you were you might want to be.

If you want the easy way out, then the rail line sells photo packages, postcards, etc.

It looks like the Venice to Tirano time is about 13 hours. (It took us 5 hours to drive from the North end of LAke Garda to Tirano.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -