Bernese Oberland in May?

Search

Bernese Oberland in May?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bernese Oberland in May?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Switzerland-Austria-Prague for the last 2 weeks of May 2012. While doing my research I have fallen in love with the Bernese Oberland. However, someone mentioned that it might not be worth it in May (too early in the season I guess?) I really want to spend some in the Alps. Somewhere with a view, perhaps off the beaten path. Does it make more sense to skip the Bernese Oberland in favor of somewhere like Flumserberg ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM

Well....I went in May last year with my grandmother and we really enjoyed our stay there. We stayed in Grindelwald, but Wengen and Lauterbrunnen were both traversable ( and VERY picturesque ). We had a wonderful time! Some of our adventures there included a boat ride on lake Thunersee and a visit to Thun's old town and castle, A thrilling adventure up the Junfraujoch with a round valley trip ( THE most beautiful scenery we saw in Switzerland! ), A visit to Brienz and Ballenburg outdoor museum, and a half day in Bern. Everything we did was open and the weather was very warm! I had vacuum packed a warm coat to wear in the cold high alps but that turned out to be an illusion the weather was warmer in Switzerland than it was in Paris a few days later. We didn't do any hiking, so I'm not sure about whether or not all the trails were open, but I didn't see any snow except for high up the Jungfrau. Hope this helps
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM

Tops of mountains will still have snow (they do all year long) but by May valleys and villages at lower elevations will be perfectly clear (although roads through some mountain passes don;t open until June). But - you are trying to cover a LOT of territory in not too much time.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Be advised that many mountain lifts do close for lengthy periods in May for maintenance as it is between the hectic winter ski season and hectic summer hiking scene.