Berlin without the kids!

Search

Berlin without the kids!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin without the kids!

We are visiting Berlin for the first time in 2 weeks. No kids, 17th anniversary and a weekend dedicated to sightseeing, eating and drinking, (and a bit of shopping!). We are staying at the Hotel Art'otel. I am looking for suggestions on where to eat. German food is not a necessity, as we can eat it almost any time. I am looking for wonderful dining experiences.
Thanks!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
topping for jan
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cigale! We are also interested in Art Galleries.
Cheers,
Jan
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

No one answered this query, but that's ok! I won't hold it against you. Instead, I will tell you all about my weekend!

We arrived at 7:30ish on our exceedingly cheap Easyjet flight from Ljubljana. The train was very easy to figure out and by 8:15, we had checked into our hotel, The Art Hotel, on Lietzenburgerstrasse, in West Berlin. We had used Priceline to book this and got the fab. rate of $80/night. Off to dinner we went. Now, we live in Ljubljana, so we did not want German food, we wanted Asian. It is not available here and I was dying for some deent Thai! We ended up at Mr. Hai and Friends, which was recommended by the hotel. It's actually Vietnamese, but absolutely delicious. 3 courses and a bottle of wine ran about $40.

The next day, we set out. I had done almost no research (shame on me!) but had a general idea of what we wanted to do. I wanted a few museums, good food and wine and shopping. My DH wanted NO museums, art galleries and food and wine. The lists were close enough that fights were avoided and we ended up happy. Sat. was spent shopping in art galleries, looking at cars (the showrooms are amazing), a ton of walking and one museum; Checkpoint Charlie.

The art galleries were clustered in The former East Berlin, which is not Mitte. Gallery after gallery, trendy eateries and shops and marekts litter the area. I highly recommend just exploring the streets and courtyards that you stumble upon. It was our favorite part of the visit. There are a ton of ethnic restaurants, from Indonesian to Thai and Tapas. This area is around Oranienburgstrasse and Sophiestrasse.

We also walked Friedreichstrasse which is a beautiful boulevard with stores galore and lots of history. Off of this street radiate the Brandenburg gate and Checkpoint Charlie. The Gendarmenmarkt Platz is also here. Before WWII, this was the chic area and it is fast returning to its former glory. In contrast, the Kurfendammstrasse is fading and it is apparent.

We had a wonderful dinner at Refugium on Gendarmenmarkt Platz. It is at the foot of the French Huguenot museum and serves French/Hug. food. Who knew? But the meal was well prepared, surroundings beautiful and the service fine, though a bit slow. Bill ran about $140 with wine and 4 courses for 2.

The only museum we went to was the House at Checkpoint Charlie. It was a sobering experience but very worthwhile. It brought home the desperation of the German people at the time.

The Christmas markets easily surpassed any that we have ever seen. We are familiar with Salzburg, Vienna, Klagenfurt, Ljubljana and Budapest, as well as many in Switzerland, but Berlin's were phenomenal. They popped up all over the city and had a vast array of nice quality goods. The markets (which may not be solely Christmas markets) in the Art Gallery District were the best, holding the most eclectic selection and the aromas coming off of the food stalls were amazing.

All in all, it was a great weekend. One caveat; be careful on the train schedules on Sundays. There are unannounced changes which almost resulted in us spending an additional day inthis lovely city.
Cheers,
Jan
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 02:40 PM

SloJan, it sounds as though you had a wonder anniversary trip. That is what is so nice about Europe, it is so quick to get to another country.

BTW, do you speak German? If not, did you find that enough people spoke English that it was not a problem?

I have a friend in Italy (born and raised in Mexico City) who went to Berlin last year with her Italian husband. They loved their trip too. But I keep forgetting to ask her what language she used as she does not speak German. Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 04:58 PM

I'll just throw in my two cents worth regarding speaking German in Berlin. My husband and I know "tourist German" and had absolutely no problems making ourselves understood in Berlin. We tried to speak German, they tried to speak English and we all pantomimed when the languages failed us. We found the service people there eager to be helpful. Loved the city and want to return.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

I do speak German, though not well. However, almost everyone we met spoke English much better than my German. I started to get frustrated b/c every time I used German they would immediately answer in English!

One other item...my $ should be Euros...except for the hotel room. That was in $.

And coffee to go everywhere! I loved that as the weather was so cold.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 09:18 PM

Thanks for responding. I asked because I have a grandson who asked if we could go to Germany and especially Berlin. He stated taking German in college but found (like me) he is not good at languages.

We will not go next year but maybe in 2006. Thus my question.

I understood German when I was a child but sure do not anymore. Sounds like if we can take this trip we will be alright. Thanks again for your answers. And Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 09:23 PM

LoveItaly, I'm sure your grandson and you will love Berlin. It is a really pleasant place to visit. It's true that English doesn't seem to be quite as prevalent as it is in Paris, say, but it will be very manageable. And maybe your German knowledge will come back.

SloJan, that sounds like a very interesting hotel. Was breakfast included? It sounds like you had a great weekend.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Willtravel,
No, breakfast wasn't included and it was 12 Euros. We are not huge breakfast eaters so coffee and a croissant will do us. Using Priceline was quite easy and I am very happy with the results. It was a 4 star and fairly new. Very 'Andy Warholish'. Our room was fairly small but very well appointed and relaxing to come 'home' to. It is located near the Kuerferdammstrasse (sp?) which used to be the preeminent shopping area. It still is quite nice but Friedreichstrasse is overtaking it as the chi chi place to be. Many of the haut couture houses have moved over. When we go again, I would prefer to stay in Berline-Mitte. Still, with the underground, it is so easy to get around.
Cheers,
Jan