Berlin to Munich Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will arrive on Berlin on Oct 1 and fly out of Munich on Oct 9. I would like to concentrate on the western part of Germany. I would like to stop near Hanover, Cologne, and Heidelberg. I would also like to see King Ludwig's castles near Munich. Other than that, my itinerary is open. I would like suggestions on how long to spend in each city and which cities to stop in. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:56 AM

My husband and I are starting to plan our trip to Germany and will also be visiting the Ludwig castles. It was recommended to me by others on this site to buy tickets ahead of time to avoid the long lines, esspecially at Neuschwanstein. Hohenschwangau castle is close by, so we are planning to visit them both on the same day. We are planning to stay in Garmish-Partenkirchen for that portion of our trip.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:06 AM

The only concern I have about "avoiding the long lines" at neuschwanstein is that you may have just as long to wait if you want a guided tour in English.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:11 AM

I think Cologne is a bit far from your other destinations. It is doable, but I think it would involve a lot of travel time. I am traveling from Munich to Berlin, and then to Aachen, near Cologne, but I have 2 weeks, not 8 days. I would suggest at least 3 days in Munich. You could go to King Ludwig's castles, spend time in the greater Munich area, and maybe take a day trip to Salzburg. I am planning at least 4-5 days in Munich. But I love that city!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:40 AM

If you buy your Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau tickets online in advance, you can designate your language and you'll get a time for your tour in that language.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 03:01 AM
JN

I don't see how you could do Berlin, Hanover, Cologne, Heidelberg and Lugwig-area without spending all your time on a train. I'd suggest picking one a few days in Berlin area, a couple in either Heidelberg or Cologne, and the last three in Munich, from which you can day trip to Fuessen/Hohenschwangau for the castles.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 03:02 AM
JN

I don't see how you could do Berlin, Hanover, Cologne, Heidelberg and Lugwig-area without spending all your time on a train. I'd suggest staying a few days in Berlin area, a couple in either Heidelberg or Cologne, and the last three in Munich, from which you can day trip to Fuessen/Hohenschwangau for the castles.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 05:13 AM
DAX

Trying to answer your question:
2-3 days Berlin
1 day Ancestral town near Hanover (not much excitement inside Hanover itself)
1 day Cologne (fun city to party & meet the friendly locals in the Kneipe(bar)if you speak German otherwise all you need is just a two hour stop to see the cathedral. You can buy a ticket from Hanover to Heidelberg (5 hour 30 minute train time)with a 2 hour stop in Cologne Dom & museum right in front of the train station.
1 day Heidelberg to see the castle
2-3 days Munich & Ludwigs castle.
For most people that's already a lot to see in 8 days but if you still want more stops to consider:
-Dresden ("Florence on the Elbe&quot one hour and 30 minute by train from Berlin.
-Postdam (Sans Souci & its sister castle)use the S bahn from Berlin
-The small towns in the Harz mountain such as Quedlinburg, Wernigerode & Goslar are also worth visiting but you need a car.