Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Berlin to Krakow or Warsaw by Air - Can't Find a Low-Cost Carrier That Does These Routes - Any Ideas?

Search

Berlin to Krakow or Warsaw by Air - Can't Find a Low-Cost Carrier That Does These Routes - Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone.

I'll be in Berlin in November and am trying to find an inexpensive flight to either Krakow or Warsaw. It seems that Germanwings and Air Berlin don't service these routes. Any ideas and/or suggestions wuld be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to spend have a day on the train to get there.

Thanks.

Ross
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:03 AM

Hi,

Have you thought about catching the train - sure it is feasible to do this?

Mark
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could always spend the night on the train instead of the day. There are night trains from Berlin to both Krakow to Warsaw - see bahn.de.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 09:17 AM

There aren't a lot of budget flights to/from Poland.

But Germanwings flies from Berlin to Katowice, Poland and that's just a short direct train trip to Krakow (about 1:45, I've taken that train). Polish trains are real cheap. You can also get a direct train trip from Katowice to Warsaw, it's a major rail center -- that's about a 2:45 hour trip.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM

I haven't double-checked, but I think I remember Whizz Air is soon to add Berlin to it's list of cities...
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I appreciate it. Might anyone have any other suggestions. I don't want to spend the night on the train. I've been checking alternate cities in Germany to fly out of. Any thoughts, please?

Thanks.

Ross
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 07:53 AM

I don't blame you for not wanting the night train. We did that going from Warsaw to Prague. The bathrooms were scary dirty, and even though we had a private berth, it was really an uncomfortable slab of mattress to try to sleep on. We were just in Krakow, trying to get to Budapest and finally decided, economically and comfort wise, it just made sense to drive. We split the cost, so it didn't hurt so much. You could drive to the border and once you're in Germany, you should be able to find a budget flight. I'm not sure about budget airlines in Germany and my geography skills are lacking, but I'm sure Germany & Poland are next to each other, so once you get there, you should be ablee to find reasonable transportation.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM

So why won't you fly to Katowice? If you have to get to another city in Germany, why is that different than getting from Katowice to Krakow?

I guess it could be if you had a car or someone to drive you in Germany, rather than the train.