Berlin to Bavaria

Search

Berlin to Bavaria

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin to Bavaria

Hi everyone, I will be in Berlin for a business trip. Thinking about heading down to Neuschwanstein (life's dream~) and visit some of the towns on the romantic road (3-4 days). But I'm clueless about how to travel and where to start. The only restriction is I need to be back in Berlin for my return flight. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM

Fly? There are some good fares on flights within Europe. Train is also very efficient and then take the local bus around the area?
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:07 PM

For city center to city center trips within Germany, train is the only way to go. You can get from Berlin to Munich in a few hours, then use that city as a base. You could --
1) take a day trip by train to Neuschwanstein from there.
2) rent a car and drive around Bavaria, including Neu.
3) take bus tours.
4) spend three days just in Munich.

When done in that city, just take the train back to Berlin.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi oberost & paulrabe, thanks for your quick replies. I poked around AA's website, and it looks like I can get a decent price flying from US to Berlin, and leave from Munich for my return trip to the US. That makes things a bit easier. I'm currently thinking about heading straight to one of the small towns near the castles from Berlin, stay maybe a night or two, then move onto Munich. One thing I'm a bit concerned is: I'll be travelling solo, and I don't know any German, would that be a problem? Also, which of those small towns do you recommend?
Thanks again!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:29 PM

> I don't know any German,
> would that be a problem?

I've traveled to several European countries with minimal language skills. What has always worked for me is to learn SOME words and phrases (Guten tag! Danke! Bitte! Auf Englsch, bitte.) and always begin any conversation in the native tongue. If your facial and body language then makes it clear you are TRYING, then you'll get a friendly response to your predicament. The invariable reply I have gotten is along the lines of, "Okay, you've been polite enough to try to use my nation's language. Now I'll speak English so we can communicate." This includes a Parisian police officer giving me a 20 Euro fine on the subway; he gave me the (deserved) ticket in very polite English.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:25 PM
DAX

The Germans speak very good English in general except for the least educated people. They are right there behind the Dutch & the Scandinavians who master the English language so well.

If you're thinking of heading to Fuessen via Munich, I would second Paul Rabbe train recommendation. As he already alluded, the train station enables you to depart & arrive in the city center. Furthermore, it saves the cab ride & the check in time. One can buy the train ticket online and walk into the train station 5 minutes before the train departure time if familiar with the train station /track number location. Oftentimes, you can also find the track location on the internet. If you're travelling alone, you'll probably meet people on the train so the journey won't feel long at all.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM

In addition to all that, you could consider the train ride part of your sightseeing. The ride will take you from the Northern German plains through the hills and mountains South to the Alps, so you'll see a lot of different landscapes. Parts of the ride are quite scenic.
You might even consider a stop along the way. I'd suggest Bamberg, which is well worth a couple of hours, if not a day and night, and situated on the main train route.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:13 AM

If you don't speak the language, speak in broken English slowly. Don't throw an entire sentence at them at once.

It works for me. Be sure to smile and use eye contact when you thank them.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:50 AM
DAX

Alternatively, I have observed a lady who spoke louder and louder in Austria as she figured the store keeper would understand her English better if she yelled at her. It was painful to watch, but I'm guessing that it probably worked for her in Mexico.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM

If you are in the main tourist areas, then lack of German isn't a problem. Only if you get away from the major tourist destinations will you encounter language difficulties in either the cities or countryside of Germany.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Dear all, thank you for all these replies! I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about my solo trip! I'll definitely get a phrase book before I leave and beef up my German . It looks like train is the way to go, so I've decided on the following itinerary:
day 1: Berlin-Fussen
day 2: Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau (maybe Linderhof too? Is there enough time?)
day 3: Fussen-Rothenburg
day 4: Rothenburg-Frankfurt-US

I can't wait! I'll be back with tons of pics and trip report! Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM

Without a car it is difficult to do more than Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles in one day. Not impossible, but difficult. The Wieskirche is also worth a short stop, but again more difficult to manage without a car.

If you don't want to drive (though driving is a piece of cake in that area), you might consider a bus tour from Munich--maybe some of them include sights like Linderhof and the Wieskirche.

Unless something has changed recently, train from Fuessen to Rothenburg takes about 4-3/4 hours with 3 changes. Driving takes about 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours if you don't stop on the way (though, of course, there are interesting places that tempt one to stop).
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi RufusTFirefly, you're right...I looked into the public transport schedules more closely, and it does seem like a tight fit. As much as I'd love to drive, I don't think I can handle it alone (I've got no sense of direction...). I searched the web a bit and found that Deutsche Touring offers a 3day/2nite all-inclusive bus tour that goes from Munich to Frankfurt covering pretty much all that I'd like to see. Has anyone been on this? Any comments? Here's their website:
http://www.touring-germany.com/134EB..._fram_607.html
Sorry my questions just keep coming & coming...
Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM

I'm the BIGGEST train lover here so please be aware that the minimum train travel time Berlin-Munich is 5 hours and 45 minutes.

You can do the castles near Fuessen by rail but be prepared to combine that with use of public bus or taxi once you arrive.

It can be done and you really don't need to speak much (if really any) German to accomplish this.

Unless you get a direct train to Fuessen from Munich you'll probably have to change in Buchloe and that is EASY to do since the station only has a couple of platforms.