Berlin, Prague and... ?

Search

Berlin, Prague and... ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin, Prague and... ?

Hello all. We're going to be visiting Berlin and Prague in the spring (late April / early May) for a total of 8 sleeps. The flights into Berlin and out of Prague are already booked. Now, we're trying to divvy up the days.

Option 1:
3 nights in Berlin
1 night Dresden
4 nights in Prague (with daytrip to Cesky K)

Option 2:
4 nights Berlin
3 nights Prague
1 night in Cesky

Note: We will arrive pretty early in the morning in Berlin, and we're pretty good at 'hitting the ground running'... so that first day/night could be a fairly full one.

Anyway, which of these itineraries looks like a better idea to you? I hear good things about Dresden, and it's right on the way between the main cities. But I hear <i>great</i> things about staying in Cesky and not just doing the daytrip. Ms_go has been to both Prague and Berlin (but only briefly); I've never been to any of them.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 06:21 AM

I'd do the extra overnight either in Dresden or actually Karlovy Vary, both of which are worthwhile destinations depending on your interests. But Cesky Krumlov is also worthwhile, so that's a hard choice. If you feel that Cesky Krumlov appeals to you more, then by all means stay there overnight.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 06:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I vote for Dresden, but I have not been to CK. I spent two nights in Dresden and could have stayed longer. I don't know how people manage to "see" Dresden in a daytrip and not experience it at night. It is beautiful and a nice change from Berlin. (I have posted a trip report from my trip last month to Berlin and Dresden, fyi)
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be happy to help you IF you would be so kind as to provide some info about your interests. IMO Dresden which can be wonderful is much more "wonderful" if you like museums and totally restored architecture. It is an easy stopover between Berlin and Prague but I would do so only with specific interests. Prague and Berlin and their surrounds offer an absolute wealth of things to see and do without even thinking about including Dresden.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 07:06 AM

Dresden is definitely worth a stop, preferably for two nights.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...30920764/show/
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 07:24 AM

CK at the end can be risky and problematic if your flight out of Prague is in the morning. It is about 3hrs by bus and longer by train from Prague.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the input! My original plan had more days in it, including nights in both Dresden and CK. But for various reasons, the trip was shortened... although now I'm tempted to go back and 'unshorten' it, somehow.

Dukey, our interests run more toward the "exploring on foot and taking lots of pictures" side, and perhaps less toward museum visits.

My general impression of CK is that it's a touristic town (like Carcassonne or Luzern tend to be), but it's a good kind of touristy and well worth exploring. My understanding of Dresden is that it's been beautifully restored... and it's probably worth noting that I'm a Vonnegutt fan.

Michael: Nice pix!
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

ms_go just called from home. I think she's leaning toward 4 nights Berlin, 1 night Dresden, 3 nights Prague... and save CK for a future Austria-based trip.

When you look at how Berlin-Dresden-Prague line up on a map, it's hard to argue against that plan. Not much wasted motion!
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 09:06 AM

CK is a touristy town and is extremely small. There really isn't much to explore, it isn't nearly the size of Carcassonne or Lucerne (assuming you really mean the city of Carcassonne, not just that castle complex). I was only there for a day trip and had no desire to stay longer.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 09:31 AM

I agree with the spouse---skip CK this trip.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 04:27 AM

Hi there,

I would definitely recommend to extend your stay in Dresden. There is so much to see and that is hard manage in a day such as a visit to the Old Masters Gallery, Zwinger, Opera House, Church of Our Lady etc. On the way to Prague you could also visit the National Park Saxon Switzerland. A lunch stop at the Bastei is sufficient to get a first impression. I hope that helps.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM

CK is a gamble to get out of for a return flight. On that basis alone (but not for any other - it is fantastic) I would not include as a last night overnight on any trip.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

We took everyone's advice and amended our plans thusly:

3 nights (more like 3.5 days) in Berlin, staying in an apartment here...
http://www.adina.eu/adina-apartment-...her-markt/home

2 nights in Dresden (accommodation TBD, but probably not too far from the train station).

3 nights in Prague, staying here...
http://www.domus-balthasar.cz/

Anyone have thoughts on a place to stay in Dresden?
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 07:24 AM

There are hotels between the train station and the old town within easy walking distance of both.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 07:39 AM

I love your Prague location--perfect.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, bob.

And I think I'm taking a liking to this place just a bit north of the train station in Dresden. It's a little business-y, but gets great TA reviews...

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotel...-altmarkt.html

Looks like I can get a nice-size suite there for 152E. Any thoughts, anyone?
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
mr_go - I'm realy pleased that you're going to have 2 nights in Dresden.

as well as the obvious churches and museums to see, [don't miss the city museum itself - a real peach] there is the Neustadt to explore [only new in the sense that it isn't as old as the Altstadt] and loads of places to go to on the boats - you should aim to do at least one boat trip, IMO.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 09:38 AM

Very good choice for hotel in Dresden. Very new, modern, stylish, very good service. If you can get a good rate (and the 152 Euro sounds like one for a suite) then jump on it.

On the other hand, maybe research Steigenberger at the Neumarkt square. Maybe they have good rates also. Or the Swissotel right next to the Royal Palace.

Late April/early May is a fantastic season here. You'll enjoy your stay, I am sure.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, Ingo... I forgot you live there! Local input is always greatly appreciated. I think I am going to jump on that NH suite. The Steigenberger and the Swissotel both get raves on TA, but the NH is less than 1 km from the bahnhof and that may come in handy when we depart for Prague.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Mr_Go, don't let the map deceive you, the Swissotel isn't that much further from the NH. I found the historic center much smaller than it appeared on maps. I HIGHLY recommend the Swissotel if you can get a good rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -