Berlin lovers.... HELP please

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin lovers.... HELP please

It is my third day in Berlin ( Monday)... and I am not loving the city.. What am I missing????

So far I have seen; : Kaiser Kirche, Branderburg gate, Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, Reichstag ( did no go to the top - huge line up),Jewish Museum, Berlinishe Galerie, , Alexanderplatz ( and around - to some Soviet looking residential area) part of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Wall Memorial site( Brnaur Strasse, part of the Wall is still there), Checkpoint Charlie ( did not see the Museum), New Synagogue, Hackesche Hofe
I have plans to see Kulturforum( some of it..), Hamburger Bahnhof Museum, Helmut Newton Museum , , a bit of Pergamon ..New National Galery
/at least parts of it/

I have seen a number of museums and galleries in Madrid, Amsterdam, Paris, London.....
... what is it that YOU love about THIS city??
(sorry for the errors..)
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM
yk

Hi danon,

I have to say, I don't LOVE Berlin either, but I am dying to go back for a 2nd visit.

To me, it's too big of a city, too sterile at places (East Berlin), too commercial at others (West Berlin).

BUT, I love art and museums, and can never get enough of those in Berlin.

Apart from the museums, it's really the history that grabs me. So much has happened there, so much heartache and tears, that calls for my return.

So, with my upcoming visit, I don't expect me or my husband to love the city. Rather, we are going for the experience, the history, and the museums.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Well, first of all I DID go into the Checkpoint Charlie museum..why didn't YOU?

Have you considered visiting one of the two palaces out in Potsdam?

You know, perhaps if you simply chiiled OUT a little bit and went somewhere like the zoo or even to the KaDeWe and the food hall the place might not seem so bad.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks yk - just how I feel.
It is my first visit.
I don't think I will see all I would like to , but the city itself, as I told my husband who stayed home, is no Paris or Barcelona.....
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM

For me, it was the fascination of seeing first-hand a city that had loomed so large in the American imagination and shaped American history, so seeing the Bebelplatz was striking, for instance. I also am a museum hound, although I didn't enjoy all the museums I visited in Berlin, but I certainly rejoiced in being able to visit the Pergamon, and the museum of the Berlin Mauer. The Reichstag dome is that the greatest work of modern civic architecture I've ever encountered, anywhere, and seeing made me reflect upon the importance of other great civic buildings to the people who erected them, and why they did that, and what kind of political stories political architecture tells.

I have specific interests in Bauhaus and German cinema, so that gripped my attention.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Hard to know what you expect from a city - Berlin has everything: art, culture, architecture, history, entertainment, shopping, food, people...

Here some tips:

- Visit the Pergamon Museum. Take time - two or three hours. If you are not impressed by the Ishtar Gate, nobody can help you.

- Go on a nightly stroll along Oranienburger Straße. Have a drink in the Tacheles and in a few of the bars there. Browse the art galleries along the street. Let the magic of the place encompass you.

- Walk Unter den Linden, from Brandenburg Gate to the Dom (Cathedral). You are not impressed by the architecture? What else can impress you?

- Walk across Gendarmenmarkt. Sit down in one of the open-air cafés and have a drink. Enjoy the scenery.

- Take the S-Bahn to Potsdam. Stroll through the park and see the gorgeous Royal palaces there.

- After dinner, go into Marlene Bar in the Intercontinental Hotel or into Harry's Bar in the Grand Hotel Esplanade. Enjoy the live music, sip a cocktail and watch the crowd.

- Go into the KaDeWe on the upper level into the food market. Pick something here and there and relax.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Well, first of all I DID go into the Checkpoint Charlie museum..why didn't YOU?''

because there was a line -up of many..
Bernauer Str. Memorial has all the info. one needs on the Wall ( part of the Wall is still there...)
I have done some shopping, relaxed by the river,and had more beer than ever ..
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Well, Paris and Barcelona weren't bombed to smithereens, for one thing. Nor were they divided, crudely, into two cities with competing things to prove, fast. That said, I think much Berlin today is more authentically creatively vibrant than either city -- although that's a fist fight to be sure. But certainly more so than Paris.

If you are going around looking for antique or turn of the century neighborhoods, they largely didn't survive. And it wasn't just the allied bombing or communism. Hitler leveled all sorts of graceful things in Berlin so he could run tanks around with greater ease.

But why sweat it? Airfare out of Berlin is cheap. Trains go lots of places.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:25 AM

traveller,

I think to put someone beyond hope for failing to have a great time with the Istar Gate is not quite fair.

I'm quite predisposed toward such museum displays, but when I was at the Pergamon, the Ishtar Gate was not well displayed, lots of kids being marched through. The museum layout is somewhat in my recollection. It wasn't easy to get a feel for the grandness of the gates -- not to mention some people just aren't comfortable with a lot of the cultural looting that these collections represent.

Traveling is not a test. You cannot flunk it. Danon was curious enough to ask for a second guess on his or her private reactions.

I can't stand Barcelona, Gaudi in particular. Maybe Danon just hears a different drummer than you or me.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM
yk

BTW, I don't think one has to LOVE a city in order to enjoy his/her visit.

I also don't think danon is saying that she doesn't find Berlin impressive - she only says she doesn't love the city.

I can think of many cities which I enjoyed, and which I would want to go back for a repeat visit, yet I don't necessarily love them (eg, Salzburg, Zurich, Rome... just to name a few).
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:30 AM

If you are going around looking for antique or turn of the century neighborhoods, they largely didn't survive.

Not true, although they may have been heavily rebuilt. Prenzlauer Berg has pre-W.W.I buildings, as do other neighborhoods.

It's too late for the OP, but I generally recommend BerlinWalks by Fritzsche & Hewitt to get to know Berlin, including the old neighborhoods.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks for correcting my post.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Maybe you are having a hard time fitting together what you are seeing currently with the history of the city. If you haven't seen the Story of Berlin museum it is great. Very good displays and interactive headset you wear for explanation, sound and music background. http://www.story-of-berlin.de/en/news and here is the description:

"The interactive exhibition THE STORY OF BERLIN enables you to experience the development of the city from its beginnings to today in 23 theme rooms, equipped with up-to-date animation technology and walk through sets. The museum is more than just an exhibition - it is an exciting journey through 800 years of Berlin history. Instead of the mere display of dates and facts about historical personalities, the priority is given to the Berliners and their lifestyle at certain points in history. Part of your visit to the exhibition is a guided tour through an original nuclear bomb shelter underneath the busy street Kurfürstendamm."
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:39 AM

I LOVE Berlin, but I was there at Christmas and I think everyone walking around with gluewine and the Christmas markets and shopping made the city so festive.

You should go to the Gemaldegallerie to see the wonderful Vermeer "Woman with a Pearl Necklace."

You MUST go up to the dome of the Reichstag. It is absolutely WONDERFUL. Go early in the morning to get a place in line if you have to. GO GO GO!!

Over near the Rathaus and Nikolaikirche (near the Spree) there are lots of cute little shops and cafes. I really liked walking around that area, especially on a Sunday afternoon.

Thin
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM

gluewine

And what is glued with it?
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:14 AM

I love Berlin and am looking forward to my next visit. Visit the Guggenheim on Unter der Linden. The Gemaldegallerie that Thin suggested is a wonderful art museum (I love the Bruegel's). Stop across the street and visit the Philharmonie. Take a boat ride on the Spree. Join a walking tour at the Zoo, or rent a bike.

What I love most about Berlin is walking around feeling and breathing in all of the buzz, atmosphere and history of a city that has risen from the ashes.

I love eating a Currywurst in Prenzlauer Berg, a Doner Kebap in Nicolaiviertel, cake and coffee in Presslers, a beer in Pariser Platz, or an ice cream in Kuferstendamm.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM
yk

Dutch, where's the Currywurst place? We'll be staying in an apt in Prenzlauer Berg.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Take one of Terry Brewer's Berlin walking tours.
http://www.brewersberlintours.com/

Nonetheless, I can totally understand appreciating what a city has to offer, and enjoying what you see and hear, but somehow not loving it, because that is how Paris is for me. (I can't say there is any logic to this at all.)

If you still have time, take a daytrip to Potsdam (I recommend with Brewer's Berlin for that too).

Also, consider one of the Berlin Free Tours.
http://www.newberlintours.com/nbt/

Make sure you are eating and drinking properly. Something as simple as that can affect your enjoyment of a city.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:50 AM

yk - the one I ate at was at a U-Bahn stop. They are all over the place, though. I also ate currywurst at the cafe in the VW showroom building on Unter der Linden. (Movenpick?)
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Danon..if it's not too late, visit Potsdam...a 20 minute train ride from Zoo Station (a block from Ku'dam). With your stated interests, I can suggest getting off the train at Wannsee on the return trip..take a taxi to The Wannsee Konferenz Haus...a most sobering visit to this mansion on the lake...where in January 1942, the one-day planning session for the "final solution" was held (ironically, next door is The Max Liebermann Manse...he was a German-Jewish artist of world note...his work was banned..and he died in 1935).

Back in the city, you can visit the poignantly unique deportee monument off the beaten track at the corner of Levatow and Jagow Strasse. You'll probably be there alone.
It's a taxi ride...but I believe you can bus it, also.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Wansee05#

At any rate, Danon,I hope the remainder of your visit works out well...you sure have many excellent suggestions from the posters. One more, if German food does not appeal to you, may I recommend "Via Condotti" a superb Italan place, just south of Ku'damm on Fasenenstrasse (sp).(Kempinski Hotel is on the north corner).

Zeppole, noting your Bauhaus-Gropius interest, my brother-in-law was one of his associates in Cambridge for about 10 years prior to Walter's death. While we still lived in Mass. we were fortunate enough to meet him at an office gathering. His house in Lincoln, MA is now open to the public I've been told.
Richard built his own house in Concord with many suggestions from the "boss"...

Stu

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -