Berlin Hotel in July?

Search

Berlin Hotel in July?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin Hotel in July?

Suggestions needed for a small hotel, centrally located (not sure what that means since I have never been to Berlin) for under a 100 Euros. Pension, B&B, would be fine or a small privately owned hotel. Prefer nothing corporate. How early must I book to make sure I get something or is it possible to arrive sans hotel? Thanks,
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

P.S. If you have a web site that would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Would not reco arriving at any major city in July without reservations. A friend of mine did this a couple of years ago - and it turned out there was some special event on - the only place he could get was a quite tacky "pension" (4th floor walk up) above a live sex club. (Not the best part of town.)

Can;t help with sepcific recos - since this is not my price point.

Have you done a search above? Looked at Tripadvisor?
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll make sure I have reservations. Sorry to say, I don't know what trip advisor is. Please clarify. Thanks again.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:45 AM

I stayed at Hotel Savoy last week, bookded through www.expedia.ca for about 45 euro per night,including local tax and excellent buffet breakfast (good leaf tea served).

The hotel is most centre located, 2 blocks from Zoologischer Garden, best connections for public transportations to airports,interesting sites, shopping area,museums and concert halls. The area is busy till late in the night, quite safe for solo traveler to walk around even in the late evening.

The hotel is in a turn of century building, the deco of room is a little faded; but high ceiling,light and spacious, full of old world charm (Greta Garbo used to stay at the room next to mime), and the most comfortabel hotel bed I have ever slept.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:59 AM

>>>>>>I don't know what trip advisor is. Please clarify.<<<<<<

It's a website where people rate hotels in which they've stayed, restaurants in which they've eaten, and attractions that they've visited.

www.tripadvisor.com

Another resource is www.venere.com . It is a hotel booking website. I have used Venere to make hotel reservations in Europe, and have been satisfied with their service. However, even if you don't use Venere to make a reservation, it's a good website to visit, because you can sort hotels in a given city by the number of stars, by the zones in which they're located, etc. There is a map showing the more central zones of each city. The Venere website also carries reviews by guests who actually have stayed in specific hotels.

The "Destinations" section of the Fodors website, if you haven't explored it yet, usually gives quite a good intro to each major city.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Two good sites to look for Berlin hotels are http://www.hrs.de and http://www.hotels.de . Note that the Circus hostel has private apartments that I've heard are very nice -
http://www.circus-berlin.de/ .

I'd recommend Priceline, because you can get great deals on very nice hotels, but you said you don't want anything corporate. Similarly, I'd also recommend hotels in the Accor brand, but again they would be chain hotels - http://www.accorhotels.com

JudyC, that sounds like a great deal.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Having stayed in Berlin several times, I'll add my own thoughts and you can take them for what they are worth.

Many hotels in Berlin, including top-rated ones, are not air conditioned. Some will say it is not necessary since it "doesn't get that hot" there. But what it DOES get is very humid so if that is an issue...

Many will tell you that you "have" to "stay in [the] Mitte [section]" of the city. I disagree with this if only because Berlin has one of the most extensive zand dense public transportation networks of any city anywhere so it is easy to get just about everywhere provided you are willing to use that system.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 01:36 PM

I asked about A/C earlier this year, and I found I did want it in July in Berlin, although July 2004 was relatively cool historically. Fortunately my room did have A/C.

No one has to stay in Mitte, but I still found it very pleasant and convenient, and it's where I'd want to stay if I went again to Berlin.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Always nice to know that people find various parts (rather than just one)of this wonderful city "pleasant" and I think this is particularly important for someone who has NEVER been there and may very well be relying on what is said here to make final travel plans.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Judy C. We checked out the Savoy, but we were not able to find a room in the early part of July, also the price on Expedia was 3 times what you paid. You had a fabulous deal! The hotel looks lovely from the web site. Willtravel: I checked out the Circus web site and it is a good deal, only $75 US for a one bedroom apt., but can't decide whether I would feel out of place in a hostel now: I'm over 50. Anyone, have any direct recommendations of places they really liked.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 05:02 PM

It may be difficult to find a room with AC for under 100Euros. However I can recommend Hotel Columbus which is located across the street from Savoy Hotel. I have stayed there twice, booked for the third time for my trip in April next year. Very, very nice people, quiet (all the rooms are facing inner courtyard) but extremely convenient location.

In the same area, there is another hotel in your budget, Hotel Korfu II.
www.hp-korfu.de
Never stayed, but sounds convenient location.

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 05:07 PM

Sorry, forgot the HP address for Hotel Columbus.

www.columbus-berlin.com
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Pisces AK, looked up the Columbus site. It is reasonable, only 80 Euro. I could not tell from the web site. Does it have AC and is there an elevator? Thanks.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:07 PM

Annetti:

I looked at the Columbus site as well and it is impossible to tell if the place has A/C, etc.

I would e-mail them immediately and ask those very questions.

I would agree it is well-located for many things in Berlin (the things I like to do, anyway). Sometimes you simply have to take the plunge and go to a city like Berlin and decide for yourself if you are in the area that is best for you. In my experience nobody else can really decide it for you.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:09 PM

Lift, yes there is.
I don't know about AC (very much doubt it). You shoud inquire the hotel from their HP, the reply is usually within 24hour.

But I wonder if you really need AC in Berlin. It cools down at night, and you should be out during the day. (sure, I am from Tokyo which is soooooo humid in summer)
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:56 PM

All I can say is that I thought A/C was a near-necessity in July at night in Berlin. If you somehow had a very quiet street and opened the windows fully and it wasn't raining (or severely thunderstorming as it was in some cases), I suppose it would be comfortable not to have A/C. I live in a very temperate climate, although I do not have A/C at home.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:58 PM

I stayed at the Westin Grand, obtained on Priceline, but right across the street is a small hotel called Hotel Unter den Linden. I had dinner there one night (cheap and quite standard). This is very nicely-located, although I can't say what the rooms were like:
http://www.hotel-unter-den-linden.de/
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Willtravel: Under der Linden looks pleasant from the web site and it's only 76 euro a night incl. breakfast. I'll check on elevator access and ac, though I'm not sure it's 100% necessary,but it would be a nice "extra."
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 08:57 AM

The hotel Kuenstlerheim Luise is very centrally located, is an "Art Hotel", and should only run you a bit above your E100 -- I would say around E127. Sorry, don't have a website -- you'll find it via Google.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -