Search

Berlin , again

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin , again

This July will be my forth visit to Berlin.
Staying a full week.
On previous visits, I have stopped in Dresden for 2 nights and spent
24 hours in Hamburg.( Enjoyed both very much).
I would like to take a day trip from Berlin to another city( town) IN Germany( an hour or so on the train)
....would Leipzig be a good choice? Or.....
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:34 AM

http://www.lutherstadt-wittenberg.de/home.html?&L=1

Lutherstadt-Wittenberg made a lovely lovely day trip twice now for me from Berlin - about an hour or so by train - Martin Luther's stomping grounds with the church door he, acccording to legend at least, nailed his demands to - lots of Luther related sites but just a really pleasant city with a castle or palace on a hill in the town center - a great church, nice pedestrian shopping area - all gussied up from days in East Germany when I first visited and it was all grimy.
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks,,
looks very interesting.
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm considering going to Braunschweig from Berlin in September. When I inquired about it in April, good Fodors folks posted back:

"If you are going to Braunschweig then you must take a trip to Wolfenbuettel (Wolfenbüttel). The town is very pretty, with many 16th and 17th century buildings, there is Schloss Wolfenbuettel (a castle, now a museum and high school), and the impressive Duke August Library with Henry the Lion's Evangeliar (Gospel Book), which cost the library 17 million Euros. The buildings of the library (many, including the Zeughaus and Lessing's House) are also 16th and 17th century, and you can tour them. Wolfenbuettel is a short local train ride from Braunschweig and has more to offer architecturally than its larger neighbour. I have been to the Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum though too and its holdings of Baroque art are really good, so don't miss it."
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:59 AM

IF you haven't visited Potsdam on prior trips(less than an hour train ride from Zoo Station...if I recall) I found it interesting and very pleasant. The noted Sanssouci Palace is close to town..can be walked on a tree-shaded street (which in July can be most welcome). The Potsdam Conference of '45 was held here (Cecilienhof Palace)

One of the stops on the train line is Wannsee and its most historic and infamous mansion on the idyllic lake (long walk or taxi from the Wannsee station). Suggest you see the TV flick with Kenneth Branagh before visiting, which will prep you well.

Have a good one.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:22 AM

I guess you have been to Potsdam, no? That would be my first choice, of course.

If you haven't been to Leipzig yet then definitely go and see it! Here is my VT page on Leipzig with many tips:

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/a548/

I.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:37 AM

Potsdam would be an obvious choice - but I guess that you've been there already, this being your 4th visit.

Wittenberg and Leipzig, one smaller town, one bigger .. you can't really go wrong with either option.
Braunschweig would be more a second choice for me, unless, as amy pointed out, Wolfenbüttel was also on your list. Though, this would get you way beyond you "one hour or so limit" for travel.

One very different option could be a day trip to Rheinsberg at the Southern edge of the Mecklenburg Lake District.
It's a small old town from the times of Frederick the Great, with palace and park, potteries, lake, etc. The town is a good example of a planned settlement of the late 18th century. A popular day trip destination for Berliners since the 1900s. But obviously a much "quainter" trip than Leipzig. And it makes only sense to go when the weather is good.

If you opt for Leipzig, take a look from the observation deck of the Panorama Tower (the tallest high rise in the city center, next to the Gewandhaus). If you don't feel like eating at the somewhat upscale restaurant on the 29th floor, you can just buy the admission (€ 2 or 3) for the observation platform two more storeys up and open air. There is a small kiosk up there for snacks and beverages which charges just regular prices.

Usually I would not recommend someone to visit a city zoo, but, in this case it's okay to have it at least on the list. Their newest attraction is Gondwana Land, three continents under one roof, another part of the zoo is historic, with Art Deco style buildings.. very different from a regular zoo visit.
www.zoo-leipzig.de/en/
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:48 AM

Sachenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial is also a very short day trip or half-day trip by S-Bahn or mainline train - in Orainenburg (sp?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachsen...entration_camp
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks again for all your suggestion.

Very much appreciated.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Obviously, you have many options. I may add a few more:

- Dessau is a place if you are interested in architecture. There, you find the Bauhaus and many buildings of the Bauhaus school of architecture, which eventually became the Chicago School.

- Schwerin has one of Germany's most spectacular castles, situated on a peninsula in the lake with fine interior decoration.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks traveler.

Several years ago, I saw a great exhibit on Bauhaus school and style in Berlin's

Martin-Gropius-Bau
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:26 PM

BIL was recruited by Walter in 1952...stayed on with the firm in Cambridge, Mass. until long after Gropius died.
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Schwerin is another fantastic day trip.
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM

When we lived in Berlin, we enjoyed going to Luebbenau in the Spreewald. We'd rent canoes or kayaks and go paddling on the Spree. Or, if you prefer, you can join the Germans on a barge and drink while someone else does the "driving".

It's a nice little town in a scenic area.
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again.