Notices

Bergen sidetrips

Old Apr 27th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bergen sidetrips

I am in the beginning phases of planning a short Norway trip, and can use some advice. I will be based in Bergen. Thus far, the only thing I know for sure is I want to take the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour.

Do any of you have any other suggestions for interesting day trips from Bergen? I prefer not having to schlep luggage on ferries, buses, etc, which is why I will be doing the Nutshell tour in a day, instead of as an overnight. This will still leave me a few days for seeing other parts of the region.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM

We were originally going to base in Bergen and do day trips but then had a change of heart. After two nights in Oslo we took the train to Bergen and spent a day exploring. The next morning we checked out of the hotel and stored our luggage at the train station, keeping only a duffle bag. (This was enroute to a conference in Stockholm so we had to bring grown up clothes.) We took a bus to a ferry and went down the beautiful Hardangerfjord to the tiny town of Ulvik where we spent the afternoon and evening, overnighting at Brakanes hotel.

The next morning we followed the Norway in a Nutshell route. We took a bus to Voss and from there the train to Myrdal and then to Flam, followed by the ferry on the Naeroyfjord. The overnight was at the Stalheim where we were the only guests since it had just reopened for the season. From the Stalheim it was easy to get to Balestrand: two perfectly synchronized buses and a ferry. Unfortunately we only had one day for Balestrand, overnighting at Kviknes. The next day we caught a fast ferry to Bergen where we picked up our luggage and spent the night before flying out to Stockholm. I'm really glad we spent time in some of the little towns on the fjords as well as in Bergen.

Have a great trip (bring lots of money!).
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM

If you're going to do "Norway In A Nutshell" all in a day (Bergen to Oslo and back), you'll do nothing but travel...or are you just going to Flåm to ride the railway up the side of the fjord and back and cruise the Sognefjord?

You can do day trips from Bergen to Lofthus and the Folgefonni Glacier and also out to the Sotra Islands. I believe those can be done by bus from downtown Bergen.

There's also a boat to Stavanger that gives you a view of the coast and islands that's a bit different from the fjord cruise experience. However, if you did that and wanted to get back to Bergen the same day, you would be on the boat all day. Stavanger has some attractions worth exploring: a beautiful cathedral that was begun in the 12th century and, surprisingly enough, the Petroleum Museum (I wouldn't have predicted that would be fun, but it kept us entertained for several hours and had an excellent Bølgen & Moi café). However, the greatest thing about Stavanger is Preikestolen, in a park about an hour out of town, the towering rock high above the fjord. It's about a two and a half hour hike each way, once you get to the park, so that would definitely not be doable on a day trip unless you flew in from Bergen for the day.

If you're not averse to renting a car and driving out and around Bergen, you will find a number of scenic villages in most directions, and many panoramic vistas.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Do you like classical music and Edvard Greig? If you do the trip to his home in Troldhaugen was lovely. The bus leaves from central Bergen and you then walk for about 15 - 20 mins (signposted all the way in English) to his home and museum. It overlooks a beautiful lake and a guide will show you around the house and tell you his history.

If you are in Bergen during the summer don't miss walking in Mount Floyen above Bergen. Take the Funicular up and either walk back down or spend the time in walking on the mountain and take the funicular back down again - views are magnificent.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:22 PM

If you're not averse to renting a car and driving out and around Bergen, you will find a number of scenic villages in most directions, and many panoramic vistas.

Midnightsun: We'll be staying in Bergen as well, and we're not averse to driving. Any specifics you can share would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Well, it's been a couple of months... Thought I'd try again. Scenic villages and notable vistas within driving distance of Bergen? Anyone?