Bergen Card Advice?

Search

Bergen Card Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2024, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bergen Card Advice?

OK, I've completed my overall sketch of our 12.5-"real days"-trip to Copenhagen, Bergen, Oslo and Stockholm by public transportation. Big shout-out to all of you who have diligently reported about your journeys.

Completed:
US to Copenhagen flight
Flight from Copenhagen to Bergen
Stockholm to US flight
Hotels and Rentals for entire trip (including back-ups)

Yet to be done:
Train tix from Bergen to Oslo and Oslo to Stockholm (but earliest dates to buy tix entered in big RED on my calendar. So essentially--DONE).

Decided:
Will get Copenhagen card and activate as soon as we land.
May get Oslo Card--decided to be fine with being UNdecided because we arrive on the train close to our hotel anyway. Once we get the lay of the land, we should know if we need it for our 2.5 "real days" on the ground (opinions still welcome).
Will probably get Stockholm Transport Pass. This will be our longest stay (4 full days) uninterrupted by travel.

BUT...
I'm totally undecided and/or clueless about a few things in Bergen, even after reading blog after blog and watching travel video after travel video. The biggie for me is The Bergen Card.

I've read blog after blog. I've studied various Bergen Card websites. I found, downloaded and studied a 2024 fee comparison chart.

Given that the Bergen Card pays for fewer things or gives a lesser discount in the summer season during the few days we shall be there and given that may of the card-covered sights offer senior discounts (we be OLD), the only two things the card seems to be offering us is...
a) Free transport via light rail from the airport plus all transport by Skyss bus and light rail for the length of the card
b) Convenience--and I'm even questioning that.

Case in point: The Bergen Card will give a 50% discount for the Floibanen--not to be sneezed at--but only on a roundtrip. We had already intended to ride up ONE WAY and walk down. It seems as though if I DON'T have the Bergen Card, I could skip the ticket window line and just buy my full price one-way tix online, allowing me to report right to the loading waiting line. Right or wrong?

And has anyone found a place to buy a physical Bergen Card at the airport? Yeah, I know I can buy it through its app. But there seem to be some people who have had glitches with that. All I know is that we would need to have it to take our "free" light rail journey into Bergen.

Thereafter, it seems as though our AirBnb is central enough that we would not be using much transport anyway. We will just be walking to our train to Oslo at the end of the stay.

But I could be wrong! Do tell me.

With gratitude,
AZ

Last edited by AlessandraZoe; Jan 20th, 2024 at 05:43 AM. Reason: tags--please add "Norway" to this!