Search

Norwegian fjords

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2024, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norwegian fjords

Hello,

I’m planning a trip to Norway for the summer and would appreciate any advice from the forum as the country appears complicated to navigate with public transportation and doing my own research has become a bit overwhelming. My itinerary would include Bergen, Sognefjord, Geirangerfjord, Ålesund and the Atlantic road. Length of trip would be 7-8 days. Please give suggestions on how to go between the above places with public transportation, a rough itinerary and how to visit on a budget. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 11:36 PM

The easy answer is that there are bus routes connecting all towns. The hard answer is that Norway is very expensive; only the Swiss would find its prices normal. However there are hostels and cabins for rent which are more affordable than hotels. The base price for a hostel room in Alesund was reasonable, but my recollection is that adding the required sheets for the bed jacked up the price considerably. It might be useful to pack a light sleeping bag liner to use as a sheet.

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-you...around/by-bus/
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 07:12 AM

My upcoming trip by public transport this summer is not limited to just Norway or even Norwegian fjords or even by a severe budget, but I do know what you are facing. For some reason, I felt adrift in planning our Scandinavian adventure.

I read books, I read blogs, I scoured the net, but I was helped the most by watching a lot of backpacking videos on You Tube. We are inclined to travel "lean and mean", so even with our older-age financial cushion and desire to stay in plushy hotels, we still relate. After a few hours with the video peeps, I got a grip on how I'd proceed.

Michael's suggestion of using the bus link was right on target. Google searching "Norway by bus" brings up a lot of related videos, and I'm sure you'll find something to hang onto from the results page. Get a vat of coffee or a jug of wine, and dig in. I'm sure you'll find a few video blogs that will help you.

Happy planning,
AZ
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 07:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year back Norway used to offer Tourist food at some restaurants to deal with their being an oil state. Now you have to be a bit clever https://thefoodellers.com/en/eating-...dget-in-norway Hiring a hutte in the fields can be a cheap way to sleep and wash clothes