Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Benalmadena or Calhonda really built up? No nice beaches?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying a timeshare (Royal Oasis Club la Quinta) in Benalmadena Costa July 10 for one week and then travelling around SPAIN for 2 weeks then coming back to another timeshare (MacDonald Dona Lola) near Calhonda. We are trying to get a feel for this area. I am originally from Nova Scotia, which is anything but built up...although I know everything is relative. Are these areas more like Miami Beach and not Key West? Will there be any nice beaches where you can swim and see sea life as in snokelling in Veradero, Cuba. Please post any comments including recommendations, comparisons and things to avoid.

Thanks - We can have fun any place, but some insight to gear expectations sure helps!
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:28 AM

Hello 2CdnMMs: I have never been to this area myself. But go to:
www.Benalmadena.com and you will be able to click on a photo gallery and other info.It will give you a good idea of the size of the town.
Have a great trip!
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:15 AM
car

Malaga coast, from Torremolinos to Estepona is quiet built up , compare with how it was a few years ago.
The villages, now small cities of Torremolinos, Fuengirola, Marbella, Puerto Banus, Estepona. Have certanly grown a lot but I don't think they are as urban and as built as Miami beach, neither the rest of the coast is as empty as Key west.
The 60 miles from Malaga to Estepona have a population of about 300 000 during the year and it multiplies by 3 or 4 during July and August.
Marbella or fuengirola once 3000/5000 people now have become 15/20000.
The further away you go from Malaga and the airport the less people you will find. The coast from Malaga to Fuengirola is more built up than the one from fuengirola onwards.
Beaches are quiet long and nice, though sand is not golden yellow but more brown type. The ones in Benalmadena costa and Calahonda have the road too near for my taste and the ones towards marbella are longer and sometimes have the pine trees right to the edge.
I like very much the one infront of the hotel Don carlos.
All beaches are free.
Regarding snorkeling, it is not a coast that has a lot to offer, first sandy bottoms and 2/3 knots Gibraltar stream, it is not dangerous but water could be cold and always a bit dusty. For nice snorkeling-diving places you have to
drive one hour up the coast to Almuñecar and in particular a place call La herradura. It is the best one around but I understand it stands under the Cuban places.
Weather is always fantastic, very mild winter and not too hot summer. And it rarely rains.
For me the main point is to avoid if possible July and August.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Moonchild and Car, I'm feeling relieved.

Car, you sound like you know the area. We will rent a car for the two weeks that we are travelling, but to get around the other week or two would suggest renting a car for an extra week so we can go up the coast to Almunecar (La Herradura) or could generally use public transit to go from Calhonda or Benalmadena to the beach "in front of Don Carlos"? Are there any other places in the area or near you would recommend for beaches, hiking, or even favourites restaurants?

We were thinking of renting a car and driving to and staying over to see Alhambra and then either on the way there or the way back stopping at Nerja to see the caves?

Unfortunately, as I am a teacher, summer is our only time to travel extensively.

Again, feedback and suggestions always welcomed.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 12:18 PM
car

I think you should keep your car in La costa del Sol, many places will not be easy to reach by Public transportation.
Even moving in your own time share resort, which I dont'know, to the beach may need a car.
Hiking in summer, except along the beach, will be hot.
If you look around the forum for Costa del Sol you will find a lot of information related to places to visit and day trips.
I like the trip to Granada via Nerja, Almuñecar and Salobreña.
I am looking forward next time I go there to visit the Picasso museum in Malaga.