Beltane Expedition 2001

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 06:37 AM
Dr. Betty

Beltane Expedition 2001

Dear Beltane Seekers,
Inspired by Clara's intimations of strange happenings at Stonehenge and her ability to command our wrapped attention, we seek to connect in Burghead,Scotland (north east coast) to hear the rest of her tale and create some tales of our own. All storytelling is strictly confidential. Good Lady Sheila is hopefully seeking a mega manor house suitable for the group. If any of you have info on web sites or contacts for a manor house, or even a castle in that area of Scotland, please jump in. The time of year for this gathering is the beginning of May.

Perhaps Sheila could advise us on a packing list and appropriate garb for such an occassion. While black is good for the city, I have a feeling that Burghead may be a small fishing community. I don't know, would plaid help us to fit in? Or at least fishnet stockings? Sheila, tell us more about Burghead.

Dr. Betty

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 08:56 AM
SharonM

Oh yea, another thing Sheila?
Though my passport is valid, will those Campbell ruffians try to run me out of the country like they did 300 years ago?
(all we did was try to steal our cattle back...)
Upon arriving in the US, the shape of my name changed so maybe they won't recognize me as being a MacGregor?)

Please let me know.

sam

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 12:09 PM
Beltane

for carolyn...

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 09:56 PM
Sheila

In defence of my good (or should that be Good?)name, I would like to state that I'm happy in me amateur way to help anyone who wants to visit Scotland. But, contrary to the views fo my political opponents (and even some of my political friends) I am not a witch. Not but that those of you who are will not be welcome.

Large houses are readily available tho fishing hovels are more plentiful.

In early May for an expedition of this sort, I would have thought you need thermal underwear, thick windcheaters, and a brass neck. Bring firelighters, parafin and other inflammables- you may have to muggle them onto the plane.

Burghead most certainly is a small fishing community. If by "plaid" you mean tartan, forget it. In Burghead they wear traditional dress- skintight jeans, Calvin Klein tee-shirts and clunk Doc Martens.

But I have to say that celebrating a pagan rite will kind of make you stand out even if you are appropriatly dressed.

For background details go and see two movies 1. Local Hero filmed just down the road in Pennan and 2.The Wickerman for atmosphere.

And SharonM you should be quite safe. The Campbells are west coasters and tend to be more traditionally set against the Macdonalds.

But you cattle raiding Macgregors could solve a wee problem we've got here. have you heard of BSE...?

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 06:33 AM
pam

Oh, I thought it was our warped attention Clara had captured. Anyway, I've put Beltane/May on my calendar. Keep me posted!

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 06:59 AM
SharonM

BSE?

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 07:03 AM
just

mad cow disease

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 02:27 PM
Sheila

That's Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy to give its Sunday name.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 05:49 PM
Dr. Betty

To the Good Lady and Bonnie Lass Sheila,

All the research you've been doing is much appreciated...helps us all to kinda form a visualization of the place and having you there, well, like anotha sista, is blessd' indeed. A coupla questions:
(1) What the heck is a brass neck?
(2) If you're pagan and from a different country, is there anyway not to STAND OUT, if in fact, you want to participate in any of the rituals (not that any of us would, of course, but just in case)?
(3) What's the best resturant in the area and the best catch of fish for the season (being that May)?
(4) Parafin and firelighters are considered "flammable" here (USA) are they still flammable there?
(5) How does one "muggle?"

We Americans are very serious about reclaiming meaningful rituals and doing away with the ones that are empty, and you good people over in the Grand Isle, we can learn alot from what you consider worthy of carrying forward century after century.

Is Burghead the place? What do your recommend?

Dr. Betty

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 08:16 PM
SharonM

Sorry for the delay...

So. As a direct decendant of Rob Roy, I say HA!

Just goes to say, in the long run, that
"You can't have your beef and eat it too!"

(as someone said, BFE...how amusing...)

HA!

The Dr and I are trying to make this a go.....???!

(I'm sure this isn't the last you've seen of me...)

Join in, anytime!

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 08:20 PM
SharonM

Sheila, another thing...

Is the clever "boy-that-called-wolf-sheep-skin-hood" attire a good idea to elude the locals of our pagan plans?

(not to mention the warmth factor)

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 05:59 PM
SharonM

OK, if for no other reason, here's a neat reading list...in case anyone cares.

"When God was a Woman" - Merlin Stone
"Mists of Avalon" - Marion Zimmer Bradley
"The Wicker Man" - Robin Hardy

poems of Kipling...

... and just for the heck of it,
"Till we have Faces" - C.S. Lewis

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 06:10 PM
s.fowler

OK... How serious is this?
I would join a real trip to these parts -- with or without delightful rituals
Tell me when and where. and I'll consult my air fare oracle and be there

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 06:57 AM
Dr. Betty

As the good Wes quoteth Samuel Johnson, "The use of travelling is to regulate imagination with reality...." All indications point to this trip becoming a reality. I will be turning 50 in 2001. My husband turned 50 this year. I see it as a journey to mark and celebrate the second half of our lives. I want to see that cage of fire rolling down the hill as much as I want to walk the coast line or sit in a pub in Edinburgh singing Scotish folk tunes (check out the CD for the soundtrack of Local Hero). I can't think of a better time than to meet you good people over there to witness some Beltane celebration, participate at one's comfort level, share some lager and perhaps some spreadable haggis (it is spreadable isn't it? or do you eat it straight from the tube?).

The first order of business is to figure out how affordable the trip would be and where to stay. Check out www.Scotland.com for an infusion of inspiration and reality. Other deciding factors are whether to travel as a group or independently, meeting up at specific locations. Other interesting info is a tour guide whose website is [email protected] He has a mini van that takes up to 7 people.

Over the course of December, lets continue the reality making. The planning of the trip is half the fun.

Dr. Betty

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Dr. Betty

Seriously, the trip is a go. The Beltane celebration (April 30) on Calton Hill in Edinburgh is where we'll be headed. For Fodorites interested in gathering there, and that includes you s. fowler, we could meet the day before, the day of, or the day after. Due to the shortness of planning time to locate lodging for all of us in one stately mansion, lodging is up to us. You can find out more about the event at www.beltane.org

Packing for the trip should be a snap as it only involves assembling a collection of body paints. Pink should be an easy color to locate.

Peace,
Dr. Betty

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 02:27 PM
SharonM

topping for Kathleen, a Beltane fan...

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Dr. Betty

The seeds of imagination have been sufficiently fertilized to produce a plan for a 2 week vacation in Scotland, taking place the end of April through the middle of May. It all began when Sheila offered to be of help in planning a Beltane gathering in Scotland (not that she would ever be caught dead going to such an event). Some of you may remember signing up, unofficially that is, to join me for the trip to celebrate the rights of Spring. Boy, was I gullible. Well, I went ahead and made plans for me and the hubster to take the trip and you'll just have to suffer through it now vicariously.

This is no ordinary vacation and it's not an every day thing that one turns 50, thank god. It's finally time to recognize that we are in that mid-life phase that everyone predicts will occur if you are lucky to live so long. So why not, I say, be pro-active about it and find a splendid, all ready made festival that celebrates what life is all about…fruitfulness. Let me begin by thanking all you Fodorphiles who live and breathe in this beautiful country and are able to describe it to us in places far away, especially Sheila who is the true patron Saint of Travel to Scotland and KT (or is it KP) who inspires participation in minorized festivals. And another thank you to all who have shared their personal experiences, information and insights from your own trips to Scotland.