Bellagio-Must see's & do's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, first time visitor. What does everyone recomend for sights, shopping (any treasures from this area that I should bring home?)We will have 6 days there in early June.
Thank you.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:41 PM

Here's what I reported from our trip last summer:

We wanted to get to Bellagio fairly quickly so that we could tour the gardens of the Villa Melzi. They are very nice, with beautiful vistas over the lake, but not overwhelming (I recall the garden of Apremont sur Allier as more impressive, and most definitely Vasterival in Normandy). We stayed at Il Perlo Panorama above Bellagio, and I highly recommend the place. Ours was not a room fronting the peninsula but still gave us a view of the lake. It had a little balcony with two chairs and a tiny table, but the better view was on the veranda in front of the hotel. Drinks are reasonable (2 euros for a glass of white wine) and we sat there inhaling the scenery. Cost for one night: 85 euros, including a buffet breakfast. Our evening meal was at Silvio. We ordered from every course and were not disappointed. The pasta came with a fish egg sauce that was a little too strong, but the waiter had warned us and we decided that we had to try it anyway. All the fish dishes are based on fish caught in the lake and delivered directly to them. There are essentially two kinds of fish: a type of trout and a type of sardine or smelt. When it came to pay, they told us that the credit card machine was broken and that we had to pay cash. Fortunately I happen to have it on me; around 110 euros if I remember correctly. The next day we left for Switzerland, stopping by to see the gardens of the Villa Carlotta. They are much more impressive than the previous day's, and would have been even more had we been there earlier in the spring. The terraced gardens are lined with azaleas and rhododendrons as hedges and must be absolutely spectacular when in bloom. Not to be missed in the right season.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:28 AM
rex

Villa Balbianiello.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Villa Monastero in Varenna.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Are there any special products that are unique to this area that we should shop for? Or are the beautiful sights that will be etched into my memory the only things I should bring home from here?
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a falconry in Varenna in the ruins of a castle on a hill overlooking the town and lake. The keeper brings out the different birds several times a day to exercise and train them. Fascinating, gorgeous birds. Climb the hill (strenuous) or take a city bus up (check with the Varenna tourist info office for info) and walk down. The castle ruins aren't much, but the view is spectacular.

If you are interesting in cycling, its history and Italian riding legends (Fausto Coppi, Gino Bartali, Claudio Chiappucci, Pantani, Casartelli, Cippolini, etc.), visit Madonna del Ghisallo chapel south of Bellagio. For cycling enthusiasts, followers of the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia, this is the ultimate pilgrimage. If you have a car, get directions and a good map from your hotel or the Bellagio tourist info office (near the church). Sans car, take a cab for about $65-70 (depending on how long you linger in the chapel and the sagging value of the U.S. dollar).