Search

Must see's and do's in Bellagio?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must see's and do's in Bellagio?

HI FODORS

Going to be in Bellagio for 3 days, what must l not miss out on, also any great restaurants??

Thanks
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Silvio for the local fish. Villa Melzi is worth a visit.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:36 AM

*Villa Carlotta across the lake (I forget the name of the town)
*The town of Varenna across the lake, including a stop at Villa Monastero.
*Dinner at Bilacus in Bellagio.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM
rex

Villa Balbianiello.

But really, there are NO "must-sees", nor "must-dos" in or around any of the towns of Lake Como.

Sit. Bask. Fa niente. Get up and go do/see something when the spirit moves you. Discard "must".

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I agree with Villa Carlotta, the gardens are beautiful. The town is Tremezzo, and I think the ferry stopped there. If not, it was a short walk from Cadennabia. Have fun!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Doble_Vergasser

Rex is right.

In Bellagio, sit at one of the lake side eateries and look across the lake and about half way up the mountain (a dramatic mountain) is a small chapel. I have never heard of going there however.

With three days, you might consider touring at least one of the villas that are open (at some, the gardens are open, while the villa might not be open).

There is a walk from Bellano to Varenna. It is supposed to relatively easy and abouth 2 & 1/2 hours one way.

The town of Como has long history of silk production (if you are a shopper).

If they still offer it, one of the passenger boats leaves Bellagio about 11:00am, It arrives in Lecco about 12:00, the boat sits at Lecco for the the crew's lunch hour, and departs Lecco at 1:00. From Bellagio to Lecco is a very beautiful part of the lake.

There is an old tower above Varenna. They call it a castle but I think tower is a better description. The ascent is probably 700 or more vertical feet however.

Golfing is available in the area but I am not a golfer. Birra picolo please.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Definitely visit Villa Balbianello. Here's a website with some good photos (not mine):
http://homepage.mac.com/bgteeter/ita...toAlbum29.html
After you look at these photos select the link to Bellagio and Lake Como at the top of the page.

Also, take a 5 minute walk from downtown Bellagio along the water to the park at the very top of Bellagio. You get a 270 deg view of the lake--absolutely gorgeous!! I can't remember the name of it, unfortunately.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:10 PM
rex

These are fantastic photos, sbs... are they postcards? or from a source that should be credited? Interestingly, although there is an enlarge function, they are already at the optimal resolution at their current size. Enlarging them adds additional pixelation.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:56 PM

sbs - thanks for sharing that site you found! Again, excellent pics. Here I am, sitting with a birra in hand dreaming of June when I will experience Lugano and Lago di Como.

VS
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:10 AM

I'd also highly recommend Villa Balbaniello. Just ask when you get off the ferry in Lenno (there's a bar and a restaurant by the dock) about whether or not it's one of the days you can walk to the villa, or whether you need to take the boat - the schedule seems fluid.

We also did a horseback ride in the hills above Bellagio that was really fun. It was run by a young woman - we picked up the flyer at La Limonera (a hotel in town).

We also really enjoyed the restaurant at the top of either S. Cavour or S. Melita (I can't remember the name now) - they give you cushions to sit on the steps and have an aperitif while you wait for your table. It was porcini season when we were there and I had an amazing 3 course porcini meal there.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM

We enjoyed a wonderful lunch just a 10 minute walk outside of the town of Bellagio.

Ristorante La Punta is located right on Lake Como...with the tables facing north...towards the Alps.

The food and service were both very good and the setting was incomparable.

Take Via Roma past Hotel Serbelloni. Just go all the way to the end of the road and you will see the restaurant.

In Tremezzo, after visiting Villa Carlotta, we had lunch at Ristorante Al Veluu. You need a car or taxi to get there from town. It's up in the hills overlooking the lake. If necessary, you can call the restaurant and they will send someone to pick you up (for an extra charge).

The view of the lake from atop the hill was lovely. The restaurant is family run. Everyone was very kind and the food was excellent. You can't beat that view.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks all of you, really appreciate all the advice, and l will check in when l get back.

THANK YOU