Bellagio / Lake Como tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying in Bellagio, but there for 3 nights, so expect to tour around. A bit overwhelmed with INFO. So thought I would ask here: (Me and my 80 mom, with no mobility issues)

Restaurant tips (NOT the fancy $$$ places, those are easy enough to find) ... looking for more casual family style

Of all the towns, which to see. Seems Verena and Cernobbio are recommended by all. Would rather see a few well, than a scattering of glimpses at the whole lot

Thanks all.
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 09:00 AM

This may not help but the first time I went to Lago di Como I booked a hotel with a beautiful terrace that had a stunning view and once I got there, I figured out how to find food in town that I could bring back to the terrace, and I spent all my time there except for dinners. It was hot & crowded when I was there, and I honestly don't think there was any place nicer to be.

Bellagio has THE most beautiful views of the lake, mountains and landscape. Varenna is a pleasant enough place, but it has no "attractions", other than some trail heads to steep hikes, so if you are enjoying the view from Bellagio, don't imagine you're missing something if you disrupt your enjoyment to go pay to sit in a cafe to check out the view from Varenna.

There are many people who enjoy visiting the villas and gardens of the Lake. Seeing them from afar was fine with me. If you are taking this trip in the next few weeks, be aware that Italy has suffered dought & high heat this year. It's been hell on farmers, and I don't imagine it's been good for flower gardens.
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

yep, i have heard about the heat. funny, we shall see, but gotta be better than Dallas. MISERABLE here!

Yes, i like the idea of bring food in and enjoying the view! nothing wrong with that. glad to hear varenna wasn't your first choice. some had recommended it, but thought bellagio would be nice to anchor in, and not have to depend on ferries to get home after a late dinner out.

thanks,
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 12:05 PM

Actually, I stayed in Varenna! I had a smashing terrace view (Eremio Gaudio) and I was glad I took the ferry across the lake, because the view from Bellagio is iconic, but the towns are crowded during the day with tourists all doing the same thing (in Varenna, it's walk along the lakeside path, in Bellagio, it's to try to grab a seat with a view at a cafe, and some give up and go shopping).

Apart from the staggeringly beautiful view in Bellagio, the most interesting thing I saw was a very elderly Italian couple, just standing near the docks, admiring the view with smiles on their faces, right in the middle of this mob of rather frantic tourists, swirling all around the docks. Both of them were dressed rather formally -- he in a suit and she in one of those knit suit dresses older Italian women wear (I would die wearing them in winter from being overheated). I wondered if they were returning to Bellagio for an anniversary, or if they had always wanted to see it and had finally arrived -- maybe they just lived down the way and never got tired of looking (don't think I would). So that was lovely, somebody not working hard at having a good time, just glad to be there, gazing at nature.
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What time of year are you going? It sounds like it could be fairly soon...

If you mentioned Cernobbio because of the garden at Villa d'Este, know that you don't have to travel that far from the mid-lake area to see beautiful gardens. (Or did you mean Cadenabbia?) The one-way ferry ride to Cernobbio could be 90+ minutes (some take longer), and I don't think there are many return trips late in the afternoon.

Google: Villa Balbianello (near Lenno), Villa Carlotta (Tremezzo), Villa Melzi (Bellagio), Villa Monastero (Varenna) which are all closer.

Then check the ferry schedules to see what's involved in getting around, noting in particular the time of the last ferry back to Bellagio from wherever you go. Needless to say, you don't want to be stuck on the wrong side of the lake.

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/c_dow...20CL_E2017.pdf

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/c_dow...Como_E2017.pdf

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/c_dow...lico_E2017.pdf

My favorite view in the mid-lake area is from Castello Vezio in the hills above Varenna. The castle houses a falconry. Check the website (or have your hotel call) to find out when the birds are released for training/exercise.

https://image.shutterstock.com/z/sto...-653883292.jpg
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 02:48 PM

I'm another fan of Bellagio rather than some other spots, including Varenna, despite the crowds at times. (I loved massimop's story of the couple.)

Not just the promenade along the water, but the "upper" area along a road that parallels the promenade--you get to it by going up those stair-streets between the two. Along this upper road are a church with lovely bells but also a cafe great for coffee, near the church, small shops, and provisions (a real butcher shop/cheese chop, vegetable shop, and the like).

We took the ferry to Villa D'Este but for me it didn't live up to the hype; I liked the nearly (Bellagio) Villa Carlotta as much, with much less trouble.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

good tips everyone. Thanks.

I am researching the smaller towns, seems Como itself could easily be skipped. Plan to visit the spot in Verena you mention, and explore the upper areas of Bellagio.

looks like the heat is abating, with some storms then clearing up this weekend. hopeful of that as we will be there the 13-16. then to Stresa.

we have booked a driver, so will enjoy the view.

great tips, and looking forward to it!

any special restaurant one might recommend in Bellagio for our last night? we tend to enjoy that.

xoxo, ciao!
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 05:54 PM

We have eaten twice over the past 5 years at La Barchetta and loved it (the upstairs restaurant). Wonderful food and service, not cheap but not Michelin star expensive either. Reservations recommended.