Bellagio- Du Lac or Florence

Nov 6th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Bellagio- Du Lac or Florence

Hi we have shortlisted these 2 for our trip in August anyone with any info. Price is only 40 euros more per night for the Florence.
Nov 6th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Both are very adequate but I prefer the Belvedere on the hill above town for fabulous views.
Nov 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM

If the choice is only between the Du Lac and the Florence, I'd pick the Florence. But you are aware the Florence does not have A/C?

If other ideas are welcome, I recommend the Du Lac in Varenna.
Nov 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We are partial to staying in Bellagio feel there is more dining options at night, but I will look at Varenna. The reason we have these 2 options is because no other hotels have replied to requests, so i am inclined to stay at a hotel that takes the time to reply to e-mails, especially considering we are booking 2 rooms.
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM

I'd second Bobthenavigator's recommendation for The Belvedere. We stayed there in August, and the views are really fantastic. Just so you know, many hotels don't start taking reservations for the summer until after the 1st of the year. That may be why you're not getting responses.
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM

I've stayed at DuLac, but the Florence is FAR prettier. However, without AC in August, I'd probably opt for DuLac on that basis. Last trip we stayed at the Metropole, and while it didn't have AC either, our room literally jutted out over the water and had two large windows and a balcony plus a window in the bath for flow through air. It became chilly at night, even with high temps in the day in July!
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer stepping out of my door at night and walking along the waterfront right in Bellagio when there is often NO ONE else around. It's a long trek at night back down and then up that hill again to the Belvedere.
Nov 7th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the advise. I did contact Belvedere and they were very prompt in their reply, however out of our budget. Metropole does not do 2 nights over a weekend in the summer and centrale who also finally replied after many attempts is not taking bookings until the new year, hotel is closed for the winter. I suppose this is why I am having difficulty booking in some places.Thanks again.
Nov 7th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Have you thought at all about staying in Varenna or Mennagio, both of which are less congested and in easy reach of Bellagio?
Nov 7th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Less congested, so that you can visit Bellagio during the busy part of the day with all the other daytrippers while it is most congested -- as opposed to those who stay in Bellagio and leave when all the daytrippers are there and return at night when it is quieter and all yours. Just another way of looking at it.
Nov 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM

If you're still looking and are open to staying in an apartment in the center of Bellagio, go to www.residencelalimonera.com. Open year-round. A/C. Views from some units. Parking.
Nov 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean. i did contact them but the size we need is not available during our stay, so we decided on Du Lac, becos of Parking and Aircon, even tho the Florence looks more charming. I
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM
bat

DOCK
How recently did the Florence respond to your emails?--I have not been able to receive an answer. Thanks.
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Bat, I don't read that Dock got a response from the Florence. That doesn't surprise me, as they've been closed since mid-October. The Florence is a bit "Italian" when it comes to email which doesn't always get the prompt attention that the sender expects or hopes for. You might try sending a FAX which for some reason Italian hotels tend to respond to more quickly. Otherwise, wait until March or April and try again. This may be hard to do if you're as impatient as I am, but at least you can assume no one else is able to make a reservation either.
Nov 25th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi bat, I did get prompt replies from the Florence, usually within 24 hours. My last e-mail from them was on 7th November, however they are likely closed for the winter now as they did indicate they would be doing so. In fact the Metropole also eventually sent me an automated response indicating I should contact them in March as they were also closed. My last communication with the Du Lac which we booked as it has A/C and parking was on the 11/11/06.
Nov 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM
bat

Thanks Jean and DOCK. I am quite frustrated because I wrote starting last May and they told me to write back after November 1. I did that and have not heard back--so if they are now on vacation then I am really frustrated. I guess that I should have faxed or called. I'll try that but I am guessing that I might receive a recording that I won't understand!