Reload this Page >

Belgium for Three Days in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 06:45 AM
SUEDAN

My wife and I , will be travelling through Belgium around October 1-4 and are looking for some unique, off the beaten track sites and also some picturesque countryside to see. If youc have any suggestions or tips please pass them our way. We are also looking for some small, quaint places to stay, such as a B & B. Any one stayed at any great, would highly recommend type places. <BR>

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 07:03 AM
Frank

Belgium is ideal in the fall! <BR>My wife and I were a few years back and we were there in mid-September. We stayed in a little town named Dinant, in southwestern Belgium nestled along the Meuse River. Fall was ideal to time to capture the early morning fog wrapping around this wonderful little town and its surrounding countryside. <BR>As for lodging, I can't say. We stayed with my sister there while she was stationed overseas in the Air Force. But I'm sure there are some B&B's to be found there.

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 08:46 AM
Richard

I think the most picturesque part of Belgium is the Ardennes. Boullion is a nice little town with a wonderful castle to explore. Malmedy is lovely and very quiet. <BR>

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 10:52 AM
SUEDAN

Thanks for the input Frank and Richard. We will definately check some of your suggestions out. <BR>

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 03:35 PM
Jen

Bruges!!! A beautiful town, small enough to walk everywhere, but rent bikes and explore even further. Get the bike tour map at the TI office and ride along the canal out to the town of Damme - beautiful and peaceful (about 8 miles round trip - nice a flat and easy). Climb the stairs to the top of the belfry in the morning, catch a carillion concert in the evening, and in between fill up on Leonidas chocolates, waffles and fries! Don't worry, you'll walk/bike off all the extra calories. Lots of neat B&B's to choose from. Be sure to visit a few of the museums and go see the women making bobbin lace near the Jerusalem Church. Hope this helps!

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 11:54 AM
Dan

I suggest you stay at the Hostellerie St. Roch in the little town of Comblain-la-Tour south of Liege. It can be located in the Relais and Chateaux directory on the Net. It is family-owned and the rooms and restaurant are fantastic. It is a jumping off point for the Ardennes - the towns of LaRoche, Bastogne (see the American War Memorial outside of town), etc. - and convenient to Luxembourg as well. The Hostellerie St. Roch has about 30 rooms, all different. We stayed in April of 1997 - the owner had misplaced our reservation (made in October of 96) when they went to a new computer program and changed their opening date. As a result, we arrived when the place was still technically closed - so she gave us a key to the front door, offered us our choice of rooms, prepared breakfast every morning and made it a great experience (other guests started arriving two days later). I'd stay again in a heartbeat. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 04:54 PM
Carol

<BR>We were greatly moved by a visit to Ieper (aka Ypres) in Flanders, a major battlefield in WW1. The medieval town square has been restored to that appearance, but the town is also full of memorials to the thousands slaughtered in a war we Americans have largely forgot: cemeteries, a gate engraved with names, preserved trenches, and a little dusty museum with a remarkable collection of stereopticon cards depicting the war. See the other interesting postings about Belgium -- we also found the people and country endearing; perhaps its finally coming into its own as a destination.

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 07:47 PM
Linda

Just got back from 7 weeks in Europe. Accidently discovered Brugge. We loved it. Stayed three days. Better than Venice with the canal trips/ Ate at the Middenstand Restaurant every day. Don't miss the waffle. But you eat it at 3:00 not for breakfast!!

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 07:16 AM
SUEDAN

Thanks for the suggestions Jen, Dan, Carol, and Linda. We will definately check out some of your suggestions for seeing Belgium. We appreciate all helpful hints. <BR>