before we go back to Brussels. We are
going by train. I still have mixed emotions
about this. Any info or suggestions will
be appreciated. Also any helpful info on
train travel.
h
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trains go at least hourly between any cities you'll probably have on your itinerary and modern comfortable trains to stations in town centres.

Trains are not a problem - why mixed emotions? vs car? car is great for countryside but a drag in cities - costs about $30/day to park in Amsterdam and much of city is off-limits to cars as are most towns in Benelux.

By train investigate the Benelux Railpass, good all over Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg.

www.ns.nl for Dutch trains schedules

Belgian Railways - NMBS/SNCBNMBS/SNCB is the National Railway Company of Belgium. Information for rail travel in, to and from Belgium.
www.b-rail.be/ - Similar pages

SNCB - NMBSOfficial website of the Belgian Railways.
www.b-rail.be/E/index.html
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM

My daughter and I just spent time in Amsterdam and traveled all over Europe by train-it was my first train rides ever, I'm American, and it was a wonderful, wonderful experience - the trains were punctual, clean, and jsut great to ride - and Amsterdam!, what a great city-never mind the prostitutes or drugs, gay marraiges, whatever else might be bothersome, the city and the people are amazing-go and have a great time-jsut walking the canals and sitting in the cafes outside, what an amazing time we had. We had planned to stay in Bruges, but couldn't fit it in, so that should be a wonderful experience, alos. Bon Voyage
Leslie
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for you comments and websites.

>>>why the mixed emotions>>>>
We have always driven and like the
flexibility going off the beaten path
if we see something interesting and
this has happened on every trip that
we have taken. And we can go when we
want without having to get to a train,
etc. But, Maybe we will like the train
better after we try it.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:29 AM

this makes sense it you are going mainly to see the countryside but not to cities like you mention in OP where cars are basically useless, a liability and parking is so expensive if you can find it.

I'm not against cars and the joys of driving to off-the-beaten track places but i think most folks will simply end up in cities where cars are useless. Especially in these two countries who density rivals India - roads are also congested and simply not much fun to drive on IME

rent a bicycle and explore as many Dutch do IMO
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM

PalenQ it sepends on where you are in Belgium and the Netherlands whether the roads are crowded or not, and on which roads you drive, at what time of day, just as it does in the US. Driving a car in the Netherlands is far less stressful than driving one in LA for instance, but you wouldn't consider visiting LA without a car, and wil paty the price for parking there too.
There are many areas of Belgium and the Netherlands which are inaccessible by public transport, which are well wroth visiting.
True for 4 days it probably isn't worth it.
Katiemay,
I suggest you visit Antwerp after Brugge, and then maybe visit somewhere like Vlissingen or the Delft/Rotterdam/Gouda area - you can then visit Kinderdijk, or even visit the Hague - see Madurodam, Panorama Mesdag, the pariament buildings, palaces etc, before going to Amsterdam. You will have enough to do in Amsterdam for the time you have there, but you could go to the coast at Zandvoort or go to Zaanse Schans for a trip out of the city.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM

all the place FodorFriend hetismij mentions are easily accessed by public transportation and some are hard to get to by car like Antwerp, Bruges and Amsterdam city centres.

yes there are places in Holland that are rural and lacking public transit but the usual tourist will never go there. Unfortunately perhaps but they come to see Amsterdam and a few other cities - even taking a train to Zaanse Schans or Zandvoort is cheaper and easier than driving to me.

And for my worth i can see the nice Dutch countryside as well from a train window.

If you really want to experience the Dutch countryside a la The Dutch - rent a bike.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM

I'd recommend a day trip to Haarlem--about a 15 minute train ride from Amsterdam. It's a lovely town for strolling, bicycling, seeing the famous huge organ...

(If you're a Van Gogh lover, do see the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam...My dearest memory was a trip out to the original one whose name I'm forgetting--but it takes a car to get there. A beautiful museum in a beautiful setting.)

Karen
http://www.pbase.com/karenmickleson
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:53 PM

PalenQ says <i>If you really want to experience the Dutch countryside a la The Dutch - rent a bike.</i>

Amen. Truer words were never spoken.

I suggest a train ride Amsterdam to Haarlem, rent a bike, pedal around town and then west through the dunes to Zandvoort. You might make Haarlem your stop on the way to Amsterdam. There are reasonably priced hotels/B+Bs and the city is a charm.

<i>Also any helpful info on train travel.</i> See http://tinyurl.com/eym5b

BTW, Amsterdam fills up in September. Do you have your rooms booked?

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 01:00 PM

I deliberately suggested places accesible by public transport
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you again for your
suggestions.
We are definately going to Delft and
Haarlem. After Amsterdam, I think we
we will go to Antwerp and rent a car
for a few days. I am trying to extend
our stay for another day.
Bikes are out because my husband had
back surgery earlier this year and his
doctor said not a good idea.
KarenKM I put your webaddress in my
favorites to look at before we go.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Hopscotch, yes, we do have rooms in
Amsterdam. Looking now in Delft. I
posted a new question today.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 06:42 AM

We are also making the trip from Amsterdam to Brussels and back to Amsterdam Sept 10-15. Its a short trip 3 nights in Brussels and 2 in Amsterdam. We are also planning on taking the train route. My question is should we buy train tickets in advance or is it ok to buy the tickets when we arrive at schiphol airport? I'd like to end at the North train station in Brussels as our hotel is supposed to be walking distance from there. Were still looking for a B&amp;B in Amsterdam, any recommendations near the Dam and Centraal? Thanks in advance for any reply.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Just buy them at the train station at Brussels Zaventum Airport upon arrival.

You'll have no problem getting seats - you can make an optional seat reservation with purchase but reservations are not required on these trains and you can always board.

Hourly trains and rarely very crowded - especially since you will be boarding in Brussels where these trains originate and in Amsterdam the same for return.

First class is rarely half full so with lots of luggage you may want to pay extra for more space and empty seats.

Avoid the Thalys trains that also run this route and they are much more expensive and only marginally faster currently.

Hop the hourly IC trains.

Q's?
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Thanks for quick response! Im actually flying into Amsterdam first then I'd like to train to Brussels, then train back to Amsterdam (Centraal) to stay my last 2 nights before I fly back home to Detroit. I can buy the same ticket at Schiphol??

Regards,

Mickey
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Yup buy them both - go and return at Schiphol Airport train station - upper level at International Ticket Window - few lines here - if you buy at Amsterdam Centraal Station you could wait hours in line so cop at airport.

From Detroit - note you must leave your guns home!
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the tip, makes me a bit more confident now about the train travel.

Detroit city has come a long way since its murder capital days. You no longer need a gun to walk down a city street!There is actually alot more going on here now so people dont kill each other anymore. Maybe in some neighborhoods though... ~
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM

I was making a cheap shot and i was born and raised in the Detroit area. Go Tigers.