Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Belgian restaurants questions (for BTilke?)

Belgian restaurants questions (for BTilke?)

Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Belgian restaurants questions (for BTilke?)

I'll be visiting Brussels and Brugge next month, and I've been looking at various restaurants' websites. I've noticed that the description of the "menus" (as opposed to the "carte") says something like "les menus sont uniquement servis au table" or "ce menu est par table complete."

Can anyone tell me what this means? I speak French, so I know what it means literally, but what does it signify?

Finally, has anyone eaten at Millesime in Brussels lately? Any opinions to share?

Many thanks,

RU
Apr 4th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 4th, 2003, 07:08 AM

And where exactly did you see those?
"les menus sont uniquement servis au table" > à la table (?) perhaps we could understand better with some contexte.
"ce menu est par table complète" Could that mean they serve the (set) menu only if you are 4 or more people to fill a table? Still not clear to me.
Apr 4th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Not clear to me either, that's why I asked!

This is printed after the list of set menus.
Apr 4th, 2003, 08:08 AM

RewedUp,

"les menus sont uniquement servis par table complete" means that you can only order a fixed menu (as opposed to a la carte) if everyone in your party wants the same one.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Apr 4th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Andre, thanks for the clarification. That's what I wanted to say. Sort of a group menu.
Apr 4th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Sorry, I didn't get to your question earlier, but Andre already answered you anyway...also, I've never eaten at Millesime. I'm not much help this time!
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:00 PM

"Les menus sont uniquement servis à (la) table"...This is not common in Belgium.
Sometimes on the menu there are propositions for 2 or 4 persons, but what you've read on those websites...?
Don't worry most restaurants serve " à la carte"
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:41 PM

It's been my experience that when some restaurants have a menu for the day if anyone at the table is interested in ordering it, the entire table must order it--generally necessary to pace the food, don't want one person with seven courses while the other have only three courses and have to sit around empty plated while only one or two at the table are served that course. This becomes more difficult the larger the number of diners in the party, especially if the menu is completely set rather than one that offers a few choices for various courses. My advice--if you're traveling with, say, a party of four and get a chance to see the menu in advance, find out if everyone is willing to "do the menu" and if not, possibly book two tables, one for the couple who want to do the menu and the other for the couple who want to order ala carte.

Search this Thread