Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Beginning stages of Ireland itinerary...advice needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I'm working on the very basics of an intinerary for Feb 2009, for a group of 6 coworkers and myself (who did very well in Italy last year!). Our last night in Italy we decided that Ireland would be our next group trip, and I'm the designated planner!

Again...very basic, beginning stages. We're having out first meeting of the minds in a couple of weeks, and I want to have at least something sketched out.

What I'm looking for is some advice on where to head to, after 3 days in Dublin, and before 3 nights at Ballyhannon Castle (departing from Shannon). I've got 3 nights inbetween, and I don't want to move to 3 different places, but want to try to include the following:

Cork
Kilkenny
Kilarney
Dingle

I'm thinking that we can see/do things like Cliffs of Moher, Ennis, Limerick, Galway and the Aran Islands while we are staying at the castle.

So...any suggestions? My initial thoughts are to probably just stay in Kilarney for the 3 nights, but, having never been to Ireland, I'm seeking advice from the experts!!

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Head down from Dublin and go to the WAterford Crystal factory and then head to the Dingle Peninsula. Then you can head up to the Cliffs of Moher and on to Shannon.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Oh sorry, didn't see the 3 night bit. Head to the Dingle Peninsula and then on to the Cliffs of Moheer and on to Shannon
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

So, would you suggest staying in Dingle for 3 nights and seeing things around there, and then moving on to Ballyhannon Castle for our last three nights? Or would we be better off staying in Killarney for the 3 nights? Not sure if there's much of a difference! Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:52 PM

Irock's suggestions are good. Making the assumption you wil rent a van, I suggest you skip Cork and stay only 2 nights in Dublin as it takes only 1 to 1.5 days to see the highlights and it is after all just another big city. Stop at Waterford Crystal then head toward Dingle. There is plenty of beauty and history in County Kerry to keep you busy for 3 days. No matter what you do, you will have a fantastic trip.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM

I think staying in the Killarney area would be good. There is just so much to see around there and it makes a good base.
There is nothing really to see in Limerick. So don't plan on spending a lot of time there--the burren and cliffs of Moher are much better uses of your time.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'm taking this all in, and will post what I think is a workable itinerary for critique soon!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM

The Dingle Peninsula is absolutely beautiful. It was my favorite spot. We took a taxi down to Dunquin and a boat over to Great Blasket Island. It was such a great experience. We stayed in Dingle Town for 3 days and it was my personal favorite. Lots to do, many pubs, Irish music every night. We stayed at the Captain's House in Dingle Town. I highly recommend it.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM

You might want to visit Kinsale after leaving Dublin. It is beautiful and hs many nice restaurants and pubs. Be sure to see Charles Fort if you do go to Kinsale.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM

We went to Kinsale on our 2003 trip also. I think that for a short time I would pick Dingle though. It is just so beautiful.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM

I'd also cut the time shorter in Dublin, unless you feel you need a couple days to get over jetlag before driving. Of course, if you use it as a base for day trips, you'd find plenty to do. Glendalough is worth seeing.

I don't think I'd spend much time in Cork, but then I just drove through it on the way to Dingle. I'd check a couple of guidebooks and/or pay attention to Fodorite posters who've been to Cork to see what they think.

Kilkenny was quite nice, and we enjoyed Wicklow and the area around it--the Wicklow Gap. Lots of heather and interesting landscape.

Dingle and the Dingle Peninsula were beautiful, as was Kinsale. I wish I'd been able to do a little walking in the Burren, also, as it looked very interesting.

We skipped Kilarney, as we'd heard that it was extremely touristy.

Have fun! Ireland is a beautiful country, and the people are especially nice.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info! I'm working on our pre-itinerary to share with the group at our meeting of the minds! I'm taking all of this into condideration!
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 04:38 AM

Actually im thinking of doing the same sort of thing. Im flying over for my Nan's Mass on Sunday 6th January. I will be staying with family in Dundalk but quite fancy spending a week travelling about.

I would love to go South and visit Cork and places near by. I'll be driving on my own so dont really want to do too much driving.

I feel four hours in the car on my own is quite long enough.

Any ideas on places that i just have to see?

I will need to work my way back to Dundalk/ Dublin for the return flight.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:56 AM

Carrie, does it have to be the south-west?

The days in January are quire short, and it would cost you a day to get to Cork or Kerry, and another day to get back.

From Dundalk, the Cooley Peninsula is on your doorstep, and Belfast and the Antrim glens are a much easier trip. Working back towards Dublin, you can see Newgrange and the Boyne Valley, and from Dublin you can venture into the Wicklow mountains.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM

Carrie,
I second the suggestion of heading north instead of west.

I love the Meath area - Newgrange and Knowth, Trim Castle, Monasterboice's high crosses are unbelievable!...so much to see! In the Dundalk area don't miss the Proleek dolmen - you look at it and just can't fathom how those rocks are staying that way for millenia!

If you have time to head up north, the Antrim coast drive is one enchanting vista after another.

If you want to see what I mean here's some pics from a trip I took a few years ago...
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/86588/index.html