Itinerary trouble

Search

Itinerary trouble

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary trouble

I'm having trouble finalizing my itinerary and need some help here. I'm arriving in Paris on the 6th of December (depart on Christmas Day). After that I'll take the train to Dijon and spend approximately five days there.

Here is where I've run into a bit of a problem. Originally I wanted to spend 5 days exploring the Alsace region, using Strasbourg as a base. However, I have found most of the hotels booked up. Now, I am trying to find a hotel in Nancy. If that fails I have thought up several options:

1)Extend stay in Burgundy
2)Visit Lyon and surrounding region
3)Provence(using Avignon as a base)
4)Montpellier(despite long train ride)

The only caveat is that I have to rely entirely upon public transportation. Personally, I am leaning towards one of the first two choices. But I have issues regarding those two choices as well.

I will be finishing my trip with eight days in Paris, staying at the Cosmos Hotel in the 11th arrondissment. I got a great rate for a single plus close to public transportation (apparently there is a bus stop in front and several metro stations nearby).

In closing, I want to thank all the Fodorites(is that the correct term?) for all their suggestions and opinions as I think I have been posting questions about once a week.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:25 AM

Is there some way you could time your Alsace visit so as to avoid being there on a weekend? I think you are having trouble finding rooms because so many people go there on weekends in December to enjoy the wonderful Christmas markets. Maybe you could go to Alsace first, and then Dijon?
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:39 AM
ira

Hi N,

What's your budget?

Have you looked up hotels in Colmar or Mulhouse?

Have you checked logis de France?
http://tinyurl.com/yrkjgz

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd just spend the 3 weeks in Paris myself
;-)
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM

What do you mean by "most" hotels booked up in Alsace?? All you need is 1.

Avignon would be my alternative choice. You can take the train to the market in l'Isle sur la Sorgue if your schedule puts you there on a Sunday. You can also take trains to Aix, Arles, Montpellier, and Marseille. Probably good bus service to St Remy also.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM

Lyon strikes me as a good idea, as it's reasonably compact and accessible by public transportation. You could follow that with a few days in Avignon.