Beginner's Question about Ticket to Ediburgh's Waverly Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. I'm willing to admit up front that DH and I are complete novice (we did a day trip to Salzburg from Munich and that's it) European train riders. So this is probably a really basic question for most of you, but here goes:

I bought our tickets from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh's Waverly Station. Virgin East Coast website was actually pretty easy to use. I printed the tickets at home. My question has to do with knowing exactly which train we're supposed to get on. In other words, the ticket clearly gives us the date; from and to points; and departure time and we have our reserved seating. In the route section it says,

"On specified VTEC trains & connections."

I'm so used to seeing something like Flight 880 and even the train we did from Munich to Salzburg had a train number on the tickets.

Do I assume there is only one train leaving at the designated departure time and simply watch the departure board?
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 12:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> My question has to do with knowing exactly which train we're supposed to get on<<

Just go by the destination/departure time. Trains have times -- not numbers

At Kings Cross watch the board - maybe 10 minutes prior it will display which track you want.
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj - you continue to be a big help!
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 01:40 PM

<i>Beginner's Question about Ticket to Ediburgh's Waverly Station
Posted by: patandhank on Mar 5, 17 at 3:58pm</i>

This introduction to trains in Europe may help you http://www.enjoy-europe.com/trains-in-europe.htm. The UK rail systems are not exactly the same as those on the Continent.
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 01:46 PM

Just go by the destination/departure time. Trains have times -- not numbers>

Yes as janis says the time the train is scheduled to leave is its de facto number- so you look for Edinburgh on overhead signs at entrances to platforms and time and make sure it is a Virgin East Coast train which is painted on each car-for novices to learn lots on European trains check yes spaarne's recommended site and www.seat61.com (especially for British trains); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Bring any food or drink you want aboard though if in first class you will get a lot of both complimentary-no in Standard Class where you have to go to the buffet (snack) car and be sure to have small change with you!
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 11:59 PM

Always look for the departure time first then check the train calls at your destination.

Don't look for destination first as there may be another train leaving for Edinburgh at a slightly different time - but that isn't your train.

The train's ultimate destination could be Inverness or Aberdeen so don't be put off if it isn't shown as Edinburgh (though it will stop there).
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 01:44 AM

AFAIK only Virgin Trains East Coast run Kings Cross-Edinburgh at the moment, and entertaining though the prospect might be, there isn't actually room for rival services to run at the same time over the same route! The wording OP quotes is just a CYA exercise.

For any extra reassurance, here are some photos of the departure boards at Kings Cross, with departures listed in chronological order, left to right - the platform will be listed when the train is ready to board:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/stations/kings-cross/
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-kin...-82145967.html
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 01:38 PM

Don't look for destination first as there may be another train leaving for Edinburgh at a slightly different time - but that isn't your train.>

Crucial if you have a discounted ticket that is often train-specific -once on a train London to Weatherfield (Manchester) I heard several times before leaving London the train staff say loudly over PA -be SURE you are on the right train if you have discounted tickets as if not you will have to pay full fare of 199 pounds! (Or some obscenely high fare) - so what sofarsogood says is great heads up -the overhead monniker should say Edinburgh Waverly on it somewhere but the terminus will be first and in bigger letters perhaps.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 04:08 PM

It will say EDINBURGH at the top.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 07:57 AM

Don't look for destination first as there may be another train leaving for Edinburgh at a slightly different time - but that isn't your train.>

Janis - you disagree with that?
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 09:19 AM

I don't have to explain myself to you OK -- I answered correctly in my very first response 2 days ago . . . >>Just go by the destination/departure time<<

Everyone is trying very hard to overly complicate things here . . .

It would be virtually impossible to get on the wrong train if you know the destination and departure time (and can read)
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 11:28 AM

I don't have to explain myself to you OK -- I answered correctly in my very first response 2 days ago .>

It's not for me but for beginners like OP - yes as long as Edinburgh is listed on the departure board but it may say something else at the top- so don't worry about what destination is on top just to see if Edinburgh is on the board (say a train that goes on to other destinations like sofarsogood explains.)

Yes OP - you can't go wrong so put angst to rest. Train doors may close a minute or two early so don't dally.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 11:43 AM

It will say Edinburgh at the top and there won't be another Edinburgh train at the same departure time

Why muddy the waters?
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 02:46 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=king...RZ7GSiXbQlqkM:

Here is a departure board and as janisj says Edinburgh is at the top even if the train is going on from there- as usual janis is right on!