Bed Bug Report - cancel reservation?

Apr 9th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Bed Bug Report - cancel reservation?

I have reservations in June at the Arran House in London. Happened to notice someone on Trip Advisor reporting bed bugs. Most of the other recent reviews seem to be favorable; however, the room mentioned with the bed bugs is likely to be the one we would get based on our reservation.
Should I cancel? Suggestions?
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM

ONE report out of how many describes "bed bugs?"

What was done about it?

Do we know, for certain, that is what it was?

How credible do you think that report is? A phone call might be worth the time and money if only to get the establishment's reaction to this first-hand.

And if that isn't to your liking I would start looking elsewhere.
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM

When most reviews are favorable and one isn't I would ignore it. Maybe THEY brought the bugs.
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Hello mama_mia, I am not discounting your concern about bed bugs and they certainly have become a problem worldwide from what I have read. However may I say a favorite SF hotel of mine on TripAdvisor had one poster stating the hotel had bedbugs. Friends who were going to meet me in SF and planned to stay at the same hotel read the TA post and of course were concerned.

Long story short, no bedbugs! I have no idea if the poster on TA had a grudge against the SF hotel or if they brought bedbugs into their room (and if they had I would think the bedbugs would have been in other rooms in the hotel which was not the case) or whatever.

I would contact the hotel to ask them about this..I sure wouldn't cancel due to one posters comments on Trip Advisor. Best regards.
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:43 PM

I agree with Loveitaly, I'd also send that post and see what they say.
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM

I'm wondering if the individual really saw a bedbug. "We saw one every morning when we woke up." To my recollection, on one of the TV news magazines it was reported that they are not visible in normal daylight, are nocturnal, they hide, and you never, ever, see just one. How many people know what a bedbug looks like?

I know if I saw just one, and was sure of what it was, I would be complaining like mad immediately and not just note a complaint on a comment card after a three night stay.

In that all the other reviews are overwhelmingly positive, I wouldn't worry about it.
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM

The bedbug situation can be solved within 24 hours as soon as a hotel is advised that there is a problem. How old was the Trip Advisor report?
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:03 AM

I had the same problem not too long ago but for a Paris hotel. After consulting this forum I decided to change hotels for peace of mind.
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:13 AM
ira

Hi MM,

Good advice above.

Call the hotel and tell them about the report.

"We saw one every morning when we woke up."..."We were not bitten, but non-the-less they were there".

Highly unlikely that they saw a single bed bug. They come in hordes.

Highly unlikely that it was a bed bug if they weren't bitten.

Apr 10th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Yes, if there were bed-bugs, they'd have been bitten.
If they only saw one, it was probably a small beetle or something similar.
I suspect malice, myself. The owners must have annoyed them in some way.
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:47 AM

True: if they weren't bitten, etc, it was not likely a bedbug. Famously, the first you know of bedbugs is the bite, then you have to go hunting to find them or their evidence. Of course, it's unpleasant to have bugs in the bed, but the average insect is not the problem a bedbug is.

False: A Bedbug situation can be cleared up in 24 hours. If the (reliable, I think) news stories I have seen recently are right, it can take a lot of perseverence and effort to erase bedbugs from a property - often including destroying furnishings ann carpets, etc.

I wonder if there is a London health department site or such that reports real occurrences? Did the poster mention whether they had filed a complaint officially, or only here?

IF you should encounter bedbugs anywhere, remember that you can bring them home with you, if you're in a truly infested place. How do we imagine the bugs arrive at a good hotel: it's in the baggage of a guest. And that's how they could end up in your house!
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. It was a recent post--the traveler had stayed in early March. I will bring the post to the hotel's attention and give them a chance to reply.
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Regarding getting rid of bedbugs in 24 hours, generally if you remove the offending mattress and other upholstered items, use the toxic products and put in a new mattress, etc., the problem is often solved. Of course, if the entire building is afflicted, that's another problem.
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM

A chance to reply? How? With The Bedbug Letter? (Google it.)
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Well to shed more light on what seems to be a very potential problem on bedbugs in London hotels:

when i stayed in London in February 2007 the papers were talking about a bed bug infestation in some hotels - enough so that it made the news.

It said to look for little black spots on the frame when entering the room as this is a sign there could be bed bugs. Even upscdale Mayfair hotels were cited.

So in London to not have to say Let the Bed Bugs Bite exam the bed frame.

The infestation may have ended however but the OP apparently have reason to be cautious.
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Generally, I treat stories I hear in the media, on tripadvisor, on fodors etc with some sceptism and don't rely on a single source without doing my own research to check it out.

I make an exception for bed bug stories. If I read a report from anyone that there has been a bedbug problem at a hotel, I don't go there. The report might have been incorrect, but I don't want to take the risk. Those critters are very difficult to get rid of - and I'm totally grossed out by the thought.

Having stated my "exception to the be sceptical about reports" rule, I am now about to make an exception to my exception. The posts here suggest that the story repoted about the Arran Hotel sounded somewhat inconsistent with a bedbug infestation. In the circumstances, I might still keep the reservation.
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Posh London hotel faces lawsuit over bedbug attack - USATODAY.comA London hotel that counts itself among the world's most luxurious and prestigious ... The bed bug attack occurred as the couple was in London for an annual ...
rssfeeds.usatoday.com/~r/UsatodayTravel-Hotels/~3/75689704/2007-01-15-london-bedbug-lawsuit_x.htm - 40k - Cached - Similar pages

Bed Bugs || HotelChatterWe can't help but wonder--is this the newest bed bug trend? Luxury hotel infestations? Related Stories: Exclusive London hotel sued over bedbug attack ...
www.hotelchatter.com/tag/Bed%20Bugs - 40k - Cached - Similar pages

HotelChatter || Severe bug bites at Thistle Charing Cross LondonSevere Bug Bites from Thistle Charing Cross London, they put me through hell and I ... he thinks it's a case of bed bug bites, the worst he has ever seen. ...
http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...g_Cross_London
May 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM

dukey sayso we know, for certain, that is what it was? (re: bedbugs)...

Dukey, how would one have any question whether what they have is bedbugs or not? You must not have been watching the news reports and seeing the complaints about bedbugs recently. The bites are very obvious, and infestation causes many people to have to get rid of all their furniture, clothing, and even move from their apartments after they bring the bugs home with them from a trip. Staying in a hotel that had a bedbug infested room is NOT a chance I would ever suggest anyone should take. I certainly would not. When I check into a room, regardless of what kind of hotel it is, I always check for bedbugs before I even bring the bags inside. It is a very serious epidemic. Once you get bedbugs, it is nearly impossible to get rid of them -- they can lay dormant for a year without a blood meal. Then, when they get a live person or animal present, they become active again.
May 9th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Kerouak said:Regarding getting rid of bedbugs in 24 hours, generally if you remove the offending mattress and other upholstered items, use the toxic products and put in a new mattress, etc., the problem is often solved. >>

that is absolutely incorrect. bedbugs also infest the seams of wooden furniture, picture frames, mirror frames, wall to wall carpeting edges. they get in everywhere, and will lay dormant without a blood meal for a year or more. getting rid of them is VERY DIFFICULT and takes a long time, and repeated treatments. it isn't just a matter of getting rid of the mattress and the fabric covered furniture. it involves EVERYTHING in the room that the bugs can hide in the cracks of. And they travel easily.

You CAN see them if you pick up the back of the headboard or look under the mattress in the seams.

You also have to beware of FLEA INFESTATION. You can bring FLEAS home in your luggage too. And also body lice can linger on bedding from a previous guest (that would be a hard one to explain to your wife if you are away on a business trip and bring body lice home because you sat on the blanket or bed spread! LOL! how many spouses would believe you got it that way! LOL!)
May 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I was 18, I moved into an apartment on Beacon hill. I was going to buy a bed when my next door new neighbors introduced themslves, two young students who said they were getting a new bed and gave me one.Well they brought it into my apartment. I went crazy with itch for hours and saw nothing, so I went into the toilet put out the light, grabbed the bar of soap , put the light on, and wow! there were thes little red things swarming for cover. I expected one littl thing.
Imoved the bed and mattress at 3Am out on the curb and slept in the tub. The next morn I called the landlord and told him what happened and he brought in an exterminator. Luckily he said, I had very little furniture and no wallpaper or anything yet on my walls.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO