Beating Jet LAG

Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beating Jet LAG

The latest research shows that the best way to beat jet lag is to eat nothing for about 16 hours.

I can see that happening. Had you rather be miserable from hunger, or groggy from jet lag?

Any of you want to beat jet lag that desperately?

The report said: [ note MIGHT]

Normally, the body's natural circadian clock in the brain dictates when to wake, eat and sleep, all in response to light. But it seems a second clock takes over when food is scarce, and manipulating this clock might help travelers adjust to new time zones, they said.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:31 AM

That's odd. I usually find if I'm really, really tired that eating something gives me a boost.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:31 AM

I've been beating jet lag for years by getting myself on destination time before I leave. At least the day before. Sometimes I eat dinner at 2 in the afternoon. I actually try to sleep on the plane instead of eating, watching movies and playing games. I guess I can fool all my body's clocks pretty quickly.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:42 AM

I saw this article this morning and found it interesting. I could never do this though. I have hypoglycemia and get really jittery and sick feeling if I go that many hours without eating, especially if I'm in, or around, my time zone.

I also agree with StCirq. I find that when we are traveling eating will offer a pick-me-up, at least for awhile.

I still swear by my Ambien and never travel international without it.

Tracy

Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:50 AM

I've been doing the same as TravMimi. I go to bed earlier, get up earlier before leaving. I can usuallay get back 3/4 hours that way.

On plane, eat then go to sleep. No coffee, wine,movies,etc..I can usually zone out for 4-5 hours on plane. When I land, don't go to sleep at hotel. Get out and walk around. Eat at normal time, go to bed at normal time. By next day, I'm almost 'local'
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:56 AM

Michael:
I certainly agree. I'm always amazed when flying to Europe what a wonderful time most of the other passengers are having. Eating, watching movies, laughing out loud (keeping me awake) . I always think, don't they realize that it's really 2AM for them NOW.
As we get off the plane I begin to hear the moans and groans, and then I listen to them complain for the next 2 days about jet lag.